Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Export & Diesel Powered Jeep Models (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f79/)
-   -   Biggest oil leak EVER! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f79/biggest-oil-leak-ever-16156.html)

AB Jeepster 12-11-2010 01:52 PM

Biggest oil leak EVER!
 
Looked like a bath tub version of the Exxon Valdez... Imagine my horror when I saw that. Huge puddle on the floor. Oil dripping from my cross member near the transmission and tons on and from the plastic cover that covers the bottom of the engine. So I phone up the dealership... get the Jeep taken there.. A while later they call me and say they replaced my turbo inlet seal (orange) and the entire turbo inlet hose(s) and related seals... (I told them before to replace the orange seal but they declined.....)... anyway, after a significant engine shampoo and testing... all is good and I can head outta town with some confidence.

BJB 12-11-2010 02:43 PM

Re: Biggest oil leak EVER!
 
Scary for sure. As a first time parent, it's like seeing blood on your kid for the first time! :lol: Glad you got it all taken care of.

robpp 12-11-2010 03:58 PM

Re: Biggest oil leak EVER!
 
that sux specially you told them about that inlet tube and seal.

i tell you Im sick of all the TSBs that dont always appear BEFORE the 3/36 is done.
they really should be held accountable for any known errors.

suzieque 12-11-2010 04:14 PM

Re: Biggest oil leak EVER!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by AB Jeepster (Post 315770)
Looked like a bath tub version of the Exxon Valdez... Imagine my horror when I saw that. Huge puddle on the floor. Oil dripping from my cross member near the transmission and tons on and from the plastic cover that covers the bottom of the engine. So I phone up the dealership... get the Jeep taken there.. A while later they call me and say they replaced my turbo inlet seal (orange) and the entire turbo inlet hose(s) and related seals... (I told them before to replace the orange seal but they declined.....)... anyway, after a significant engine shampoo and testing... all is good and I can head outta town with some confidence.

interesting, I would not have thought that much oil came from the intake tube and seals.

I would have thought that you had one of the following problems:
1) a third party oil filter - there are known problems with seals on some third party filters (Mann or Wix, can't recall which one had the problem)
2) a leak in your oil cooler
3) a leak in one of the engine block oil galley plugs, here is a thread that shows them http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11326
4) your oil fill cap was backwards, it leaks if installed backwards
5) your crankcase breather valve or crankcase breather hose are plugged, usually the dipstick will blow out if this happens

AB Jeepster 12-11-2010 04:52 PM

Re: Biggest oil leak EVER!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by suzieque (Post 315846)
interesting, I would not have thought that much oil came from the intake tube and seals.

I would have thought that you had one of the following problems:
1) a third party oil filter - there are known problems with seals on some third party filters (Mann or Wix, can't recall which one exactly)
2) a leak in your oil cooler
3) a leak in one of the engine block oil galley plugs
4) your oil fill cap was backwards, it leaks if installed backwards
5) your crankcase breather valve or crankcase breather hose are plugged, usually the dipstick will blow out if this happens

Oil is always changed at the dealer... it is still under warranty and that was a priority for me, despite the additional money.. so no 3rd party oil filter. and the oil fill cap was on correctly. I don't know about the other areas you suggested, but they cleaned it up and let it run for an hour afterwards. No leaks... so I am guessing they got it right.

suzieque 12-11-2010 05:33 PM

Re: Biggest oil leak EVER!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by AB Jeepster (Post 315868)
Oil is always changed at the dealer... it is still under warranty and that was a priority for me, despite the additional money.. so no 3rd party oil filter. and the oil fill cap was on correctly. I don't know about the other areas you suggested, but they cleaned it up and let it run for an hour afterwards. No leaks... so I am guessing they got it right.

np, just thought I'd mention all the CRD oil leak problem/solutions that I could recall reading about.
:)

BAH101 12-11-2010 10:31 PM

Re: Biggest oil leak EVER!
 
I am pretty sure it is the Wix filter "O"ring that is the problem. I get the Mann filters and in 4 oil changes so far, no leaks. And Ab Jeepster, if you have the facilities, (in my opinion,of course) you should look into your own oil changes. I just purchased 20 liters of oil, 4 oil filters and a fuel filter for less than what the local dealer was charging me for one oil change. Changing your own oil will not void your warranty, just keep all the reciepts as proof.

CRD Dawg 12-12-2010 07:11 AM

Re: Biggest oil leak EVER!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by suzieque (Post 315846)
interesting, I would not have thought that much oil came from the intake tube and seals.

I would have thought that you had one of the following problems:
1) a third party oil filter - there are known problems with seals on some third party filters (Mann or Wix, can't recall which one exactly)
2) a leak in your oil cooler
3) a leak in one of the engine block oil galley plugs
4) your oil fill cap was backwards, it leaks if installed backwards
5) your crankcase breather valve or crankcase breather hose are plugged, usually the dipstick will blow out if this happens

x2. Not sure if I'm sold on your dealer's diagnosis. I'm a bit skeptical that blowby leaking from the air intake connection to the turbo inlet could have caused an oil puddle on the ground like you describe. Remember, the oil passing thru the Crank Case Vent that gets sucked into the intake is in the form of vapor. It's not like it's a huge volume of liquid oil, like the oil being pumped thru the oil pump. Blowby oil is actually a by-product of the combustion process. It is a small amount partially burned oil, vaporized water(from the fuel) & uncombusted fuel itself. But it's really not that much. I imagine that if you truly collected and measured all blowby produced, it would be about 1 cup per 5k of driving (once it accumultes in liquid form in a Racor/Provent type filter cannister). Still enough to easily crud up the intake and internal swirl system but not enough to make a huge puddle in your driveway all of a sudden. I think Suzieque may be correct. I'd keep a close eye on things over the next few weeks.

AB Jeepster 12-13-2010 12:00 PM

Re: Biggest oil leak EVER!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BAH101 (Post 316045)
I am pretty sure it is the Wix filter "O"ring that is the problem. I get the Mann filters and in 4 oil changes so far, no leaks. And Ab Jeepster, if you have the facilities, (in my opinion,of course) you should look into your own oil changes. I just purchased 20 liters of oil, 4 oil filters and a fuel filter for less than what the local dealer was charging me for one oil change. Changing your own oil will not void your warranty, just keep all the reciepts as proof.

Oh for sure... I would in a heartbeat after reading the how to's on here....but I do not have the facitlities to do it.... I know I would save a ton of cash...

AB Jeepster 12-13-2010 12:02 PM

Re: Biggest oil leak EVER!
 
oh I will be ever vigilant..... thank you

DJ BoNiOmArIo 12-13-2010 12:10 PM

Re: Biggest oil leak EVER!
 
dang that sux

Scottina06 12-13-2010 12:13 PM

Re: Biggest oil leak EVER!
 
I had some oil on my garage floor after this last oil change......I then realized I forgot to wipe off the skid plate......argh.....


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:34 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community