Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   6.4L Hemi in WK2 (non SRT8 version) (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/6-4l-hemi-in-wk2-non-srt8-version-16157.html)

DougD 12-11-2010 01:59 PM

6.4L Hemi in WK2 (non SRT8 version)
 
Does anyone know why the larger 6.4L Hemi is not offered in the WK2 (non SRT8)? Is there possibly a drive train limitation that cannot handle the horse power? If anyone has made this conversion, is there a link that describes what mods are necessary.
Thanks,
Doug

wk2overland 12-11-2010 02:03 PM

Re: 6.4L Hemi in WK2 (non SRT8 version)
 
woaahhhhh the wk2 has been on the road for like 5 months...
i will say that the 5.7 has been (maybe still is able to be) stroked to a 6.7...
also if they put the 6.4 in the non srt, what would they put in the srt??

GlowingGhoul 12-11-2010 02:04 PM

Re: 6.4L Hemi in WK2 (non SRT8 version)
 
C.A.F.E.

Low gas mileage engines in a high volume vehicle would kill Chrysler's fleet average fuel efficiency.

NXXT 12-11-2010 02:05 PM

Re: 6.4L Hemi in WK2 (non SRT8 version)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DougD (Post 315774)
Does anyone know why the larger 6.4L Hemi is not offered in the WK2 (non SRT8)? Is there possibly a drive train limitation that cannot handle the horse power? If anyone has made this conversion, is there a link that describes what mods are necessary.
Thanks,
Doug

Maybe they don't want the models to be close in performance?? Maybe they don't want to increase the prices to make this possible?? Their could be many factors as to why they didn't put it in.


moosehead 12-11-2010 02:33 PM

Re: 6.4L Hemi in WK2 (non SRT8 version)
 
I think Glowing Ghoul has the right answer, but I like the way you think DougD.

BOYCHIKS 12-11-2010 03:43 PM

Re: 6.4L Hemi in WK2 (non SRT8 version)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by wk2overland (Post 315777)
woaahhhhh the wk2 has been on the road for like 5 months...
i will say that the 5.7 has been (maybe still is able to be) stroked to a 6.7...
also if they put the 6.4 in the non srt, what would they put in the srt??

:thumbsup:

Technosavant 12-11-2010 03:54 PM

Re: 6.4L Hemi in WK2 (non SRT8 version)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlowingGhoul (Post 315778)
C.A.F.E.

Low gas mileage engines in a high volume vehicle would kill Chrysler's fleet average fuel efficiency.

Yup. Efficiency is the new acceleration. In the current regulatory environment and given current buying trends, sacrificing a bit of acceleration is worth a few mpg.

Just ask Hummer. The H2 went from being the SUV to have to being treated like it was radioactive when everybody decided to be eco-friendly and it took the entire brand down with it. Unless Jeep wants to join it, they need to get that average efficiency up.

GlowingGhoul 12-11-2010 04:02 PM

Re: 6.4L Hemi in WK2 (non SRT8 version)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Technosavant (Post 315827)
Yup. Efficiency is the new acceleration. In the current regulatory environment and given current buying trends, sacrificing a bit of acceleration is worth a few mpg.

Just ask Hummer. The H2 went from being the SUV to have to being treated like it was radioactive when everybody decided to be eco-friendly and it took the entire brand down with it. Unless Jeep wants to join it, they need to get that average efficiency up.

They actually have no choice, they must maintain a minimum efficiency to comply with government regulation.

I kid you not, Aston Martin bought a bunch of Indian made 40mpg crap boxes, put their logo on them, and are selling them at no profit into third world markets so they have enough fuel efficiency "credit" to sell their V-10 monsters and still maintain the government mandated minimums.

Technosavant 12-11-2010 04:15 PM

Re: 6.4L Hemi in WK2 (non SRT8 version)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlowingGhoul (Post 315835)
They actually have no choice, they must maintain a minimum efficiency to comply with government regulation.

Jeep will be counted in with the rest of Chrysler/Fiat, not by itself. Still, they don't have that many vehicles with great efficiency, hence the importation of the Fiat 500- they aren't bringing it over because it will sell well (it likely won't), it's to offset their still significant reliance on larger vehicles in their lineup. The current small vehicles are the Caliber/Compass/Patriot trio, which still isn't that great when compared to the econoboxes of other makers.

Even if they had the room to spare in the CAFE ratings (which I think you are correct, they need the help), I think buyers would shy away from the Hemi even more if it was any thirstier.

fugawi 12-11-2010 11:44 PM

Re: 6.4L Hemi in WK2 (non SRT8 version)
 
I really hope they decide to put the 6.4 in the non SRT8 version.
  • It would be a fast car that is still offroadable. (The SRT8's are not as offroadable.)
  • This would be a sleeper that flies. (The street performance of the SRT8 will be nice, but it will probably look like a racer. Good for some customers, but others prefer more low key.)
  • It would compete with/beat BMW X5 50i twin turbo acceleration, but leave the BMW behind when you hit the dirt. The new Jeep is so nice - think of this car with performance that beats the BMW on and off road, for probably $15-20k less.
  • Not to repeat the idea too much, but there really isn't anything that would be this quick and still be so offroadable. 5 sec 0-60, smooth and quiet highway performance, and excellent offroad ability. Wow!
I probably won't be an SRT8 buyer because of giving up some offroad ability and because it will look like a racer.

However, I will be doing backflips down to the Jeep dealer if I can get a Limited 4x4 with the air suspension and the 6.4.

Milous 12-12-2010 12:17 AM

Re: 6.4L Hemi in WK2 (non SRT8 version)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fugawi (Post 316076)
I really hope they decide to put the 6.4 in the non SRT8 version.

It will never happen. Nothing to do with CAFE. The 6.4L is an "SRT" engine and hence is exclusive to SRT vehicles. The outgoing SRT 6.1L was never offered in anything but SRT models for the 6 model years that it existed.

downstate 12-12-2010 12:19 AM

Re: 6.4L Hemi in WK2 (non SRT8 version)
 
Look like a "racer" ...you lost me. It looks like a normal Jeep - outside of a very small % of people who follow cars 95% of the population can't tell an SRT from a Laredo.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:29 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community