Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/)
-   -   New LockPick Product (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/new-lockpick-product-16199.html)

Radside 12-12-2010 11:02 AM

New LockPick Product

I'm going to have to add this to my Xmas list. I like the integrated iPod/iPhone connection.

http://www.coastaletech.com/CHR550.htm

jonesark 12-12-2010 11:15 AM

Re: New LockPick Product

interesting....how is that different from what the unit does already as far as the ipod connection goes. Both the 430 and the 730 support ipod through the unit using the steering wheel controls.

Radside 12-12-2010 01:27 PM

Advertised iPod support. Real life support sucks. Very few have reliable iPhone connections AFAIK. Since I was looking to get the lockpick anyway, this will give me two iPod connections...hopefully, one will work.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonesark (Post 316228)
interesting....how is that different from what the unit does already as far as the ipod connection goes. Both the 430 and the 730 support ipod through the unit using the steering wheel controls.

jrfenway 12-12-2010 02:23 PM

I am really tempted to buy one but don't have confidence in install doing it myself as I don't want to take apart Mygig. Any install recommendations in Mass area or detailed install instructions?

jeepster23 12-12-2010 04:48 PM

WK2jeeps.com has extremely detailed instructions for taking apart the plastics.

Radside 12-12-2010 08:10 PM

It really is a piece of cake. After pulling the bezel off, there are only 4 screws to remove. Access to the bezel is easiest by opening the door in the center stack and pushing the bezel out at the bottom from behind. Work your way around, pulling the bezel out. Disconnect the heater/AC harness. After that, remove 4 screws, disconnect the radio harness and plug in the lockpick. No other wiring is required unless you add additional cameras or DVD players.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrfenway (Post 316327)
I am really tempted to buy one but don't have confidence in install doing it myself as I don't want to take apart Mygig. Any install recommendations in Mass area or detailed install instructions?

adamk624 12-13-2010 05:07 PM

Like jrfenway, I'm a bit concerned about doing this myself. I've done a few car radio installs on my own before, including my 2003 Grand Cherokee and I agree that doing them isn't that hard, especially if there's no special wiring or soldering to do.

I've heard that the fit of the bezel and whatnot is much tighter than in previous versions of the Grand Cherokee, though, and I wouldn't want to break that in my new $40k+ car.

Does anyone know a good shop in the Chicago area that might be able to install something like this?

CHAIR O'KEY 12-13-2010 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adamk624 (Post 317014)
Like jrfenway, I'm a bit concerned about doing this myself. I've done a few car radio installs on my own before, including my 2003 Grand Cherokee and I agree that doing them isn't that hard, especially if there's no special wiring or soldering to do.

I've heard that the fit of the bezel and whatnot is much tighter than in previous versions of the Grand Cherokee, though, and I wouldn't want to break that in my new $40k+ car.

Does anyone know a good shop in the Chicago area that might be able to install something like this?

I'm in Chicago and did mine myself. It's really quite easy but I could lend a hand if you need one.

nek121328 12-13-2010 05:17 PM

My Jeep tech suggested warming up the WK2 through the vents bordering the fascia. He said make sure it's nice and hot. Then pry off the fascia using plastic tools. He had a four pack kit from Snapon.

adamk624 12-13-2010 05:32 PM

That's a good idea, especially given how cold it is around here at the moment.

I've always just used a kitchen knife or screwdriver in the past for prying out the bezel. Is it worth getting a special tool like he had? Any idea what the name of it is?

chibianh 12-13-2010 05:52 PM

hmm.. i want this. says it's available for Christmas 2010, but only taking pre-orders now. Anyone know when they'll ship?

Radside 12-13-2010 06:49 PM

I ordered one last night and received a shipping notification from UPS today.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chibianh (Post 317042)
hmm.. i want this. says it's available for Christmas 2010, but only taking pre-orders now. Anyone know when they'll ship?