Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Darn keyless enter-n-go (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/darn-keyless-enter-n-go-16328.html)

paui4m 12-15-2010 01:41 PM

Darn keyless enter-n-go

So, I do some shopping last night after work (15 degree day, 20mph winds).....

Hands full and no one parked on passenger side so I walk up to car on that side and open rear door.

I get the bright idea to hit remote start to warm up car while I unload.

I close the door and walk around to driver's side.

In my haste to get out of the element I failed to remember/realize that the remote start also locks the car.

Luckily it shuts off after 15 minutes as it took more like 45 for the cab to run me home and back for the spare!

I know others have mentioned similar stories, and while I love the keyless feature, it certainly increases potential for similar incidents.

Hopefully this saves someone a similar experience!!

lyndelw 12-15-2010 02:04 PM

Re: Darn keyless enter-n-go

Quote:

Originally Posted by paui4m (Post 318265)
So, I do some shopping last night after work (15 degree day, 20mph winds).....

Hands full and no one parked on passenger side so I walk up to car on that side and open rear door.

I get the bright idea to hit remote start to warm up car while I unload.

I close the door and walk around to driver's side.

In my haste to get out of the element I failed to remember/realize that the remote start also locks the car.

Luckily it shuts off after 15 minutes as it took more like 45 for the cab to run me home and back for the spare!

I know others have mentioned similar stories, and while I love the keyless feature, it certainly increases potential for similar incidents.

Hopefully this saves someone a similar experience!!

Where did you put your remote after you started the car?

GCOverland 12-15-2010 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lyndelw (Post 318279)
Where did you put your remote after you started the car?

Good question. I'm ALWAYS keeping my car- (and other) keys on my key-chain attached next to my belt. That makes life much easier.

moosehead 12-15-2010 02:56 PM

In the trunk with the groceries? Otherwise, the doors could have been unlocked. Seem to recall this happened to another member recently.

GR33N D3M0N 12-15-2010 03:35 PM

If the key was in the car, it Shouldve unlocked, unless, like moose stated, it was in the trunk, if that was the case you Shouldve been able to open the trunk

Technosavant 12-15-2010 04:05 PM

My key never leaves my pocket. Never had a single issue. And as said, if the key is left in the vehicle it won't stay locked.

JohnS 12-15-2010 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Technosavant (Post 318351)
My key never leaves my pocket. Never had a single issue. ...

Me too!:)

nek121328 12-15-2010 04:28 PM

It stays in my pocket and I check frequently when working the doors.

Cperez 12-15-2010 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Technosavant (Post 318351)
My key never leaves my pocket. Never had a single issue. And as said, if the key is left in the vehicle it won't stay locked.

Good advice. So the safe method for warming up a vehicle while loading would have been to just reach in and push the start button, and not use the remote from the fob? (which should have stayed in a pocket)

JoeSchmoe007 12-15-2010 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cperez (Post 318409)
Good advice. So the safe method for warming up a vehicle while loading would have been to just reach in and push the start button, and not use the remote from the fob? (which should have stayed in a pocket)

That wouldn't work - pushing button won't start the engine without brake pressed. Unless you press brake with your other hand :D

MeanDean 12-15-2010 05:44 PM

Not true when the remote start is used. Once the remote start is activated, you enter the car as usual but it is no longer necessary to press the brake pedal before pressing the start button. Honestly...try it.

So, for future reference, if you remote start the car and then first open the passenger door - simply reach over and press the 'start/run' button.

Cperez 12-15-2010 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeSchmoe007 (Post 318416)
That wouldn't work - pushing button won't start the engine without brake pressed. Unless you press brake with your other hand :D

I get it...no free lunch.

The Overland I drove today had not been prepped. It was a factory order but the dealer had tried for over 30 days to contact the customer to no avail. This customer had not even tried to retrieve their deposit!

Anyway, the dealer had tossed the fob to me so I could start her up and make my seat/mirror adjustments while he got a dealer tag for our ride. I used Remote Start as I walked up to the vehicle. Once inside, I noticed that the Start button was not in place, just a cavity to insert the fob. Against my better judgement, I just reached in there with my bare finger and pressed to let the Jeep know that I was there and bring all systems online. (I hesitated because I wondered if I was doing the equivalent of jamming my finger into a 12v power port!).

I pointed out the missing Start button and my guy quickly fetched it from the glove box and popped it in. He told me that some of his customers ask for the button to be removed so that they can insert their fob and twist to start their Jeeps the traditional way. Old habits die hard.