Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   I'm an idot for doing this now I need advice... (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/im-an-idot-for-doing-this-now-i-need-advice-16333.html)

GiggityGiggity 12-15-2010 05:04 PM

I'm an idot for doing this now I need advice...

Hey guys, with some rain we had over on Saturday and then a drastic temp drop on Sunday followed by 2 days of straight snow the power windows in my WJ froze except for the passenger side front. Last night I went in for an oil change, my truck sat in the shop for about an hour while the snow and ice melted and my oil was changed. When I got the truck back all the windows were working again except for the drivers side. I use my drivers side window allot. Besides drive thrus and smoking (terrible habbit I know) I need to have it function daily so I can access parking at work both in and out of the lot. That being said, I became frustrated with the window and eventually just said "F" it and began to play with the switch. I knew I would break something but at that point I was too frustrated to care.

Sooooo.....with the window stuck and my finger on the "down" positon of the switch I all of a sudden hear a rattling coming from behind the door skin. SOB, I think I just knocked the window off the tracks :(

Its not sitting properly, its stuck in the up position but it sits about 3/16 maybe 1/4 of an inch down from the all the way up position so there is gap all around. This gap as you would imagine is sucking in all that cold Canadian air and I have a challenge keeping the cockpit and the top of my head warm.

What did I do? Is the window off the tracks? How easy to fix?

I tried to slide the window all the way back up to its regular closed position. No problem. One bump and it falls down again. I try to hold it in place and use the "up" on the window switch hoping the track will lock back in place only it doesnt and I dont hear any noises. I wont have time to look at till friday at the earliest so I just ghetto repaired it for now by taping along the inside of the window, around the areas that show gap.

Any advice on how to fix this? Thanks and I know my lack of patience cost me this time. Lesson learned.

01grand 12-15-2010 05:49 PM

Re: I'm an idot for doing this now I need advice...

I had a similar issue except it happened mid-summer. I had to replace the window motor/regulator assembly to fix mine. This is a fairly easy process as long as you are careful. Three screws hold the inner door panel in place, one in the handle, one behind the release handle, and one behind a plastic cap up by the mirror. Now there are a bunch of plastic clips that can be removed by carefully pulling the panel away from the door. You will have to disconnect the wires for the power mirror and switches, as well as the lock and handle mechanisms, mark these to know which is which. You will then have to loosen the speaker and gently pull off the water shield. Now you should be able to see inside the door and check if the window is off track, or loose on the regulator, or if the regulator is shot. If shot, remove the weather stripping around the glass, remove the glass, and there are 4 bolts holding the regulator and 3 on the motor. Installation is the reverse of removal, make sure to check that it works before totally putting the door panel back on. Took me about 1-1.5 hours to swap out the regulator and reassemble.

cheapjeep 12-15-2010 09:06 PM

Get one of those clip removal tools at the auto parts store for about $6 It makes life about 100 times easier when removing door panels and trim pieces and while there pick up a few extra clips cause you almost always ruin a few

GiggityGiggity 12-16-2010 10:15 AM

i hope its not the regulator, Im about regulator and module out from the truck already. lol

Any idea what that part might cost?

thanks!

01grand 12-16-2010 04:32 PM

The window regulator and motor are all one assembly, and it cost me $99.99 at O'Reilly's.

GiggityGiggity 12-17-2010 02:53 PM

ok so I found the culprit and its not the motor. Here it is...what is it and how do I replace it? It was sitting on the bottom of the door. The window will come down with the power switch but it wont go up. Looks like one of the cables rides on this:

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/g...t/DSC00290.jpg

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/g...t/DSC00291.jpg

that explains the rattle I heard when the part broke and worked its way down to the bottom of the door.

01grand 12-17-2010 03:00 PM

Yep, looks like what happened to mine. Unfortunately I do not know of any way to get just that part, I had to get a whole new regulator/motor assembly.

I had a similar part rattling in my door when it broke.

GiggityGiggity 12-17-2010 03:00 PM

fack me. lol

ok thanks, off to the stealership i guess.

01grand 12-17-2010 03:21 PM

Good luck, let me know how it goes. I've kinda become a self proclaimed expert at these, I had to do both front drivers and passengers side within about a month of each other. In the middle of summer with no warning either, apparently those little parts are fragile...

Frango100 12-17-2010 04:08 PM

There are quite some other threads about window regulators. There seems to be a plastic piece which holds the window pane which can break easily. If this is the piece which is broken at yours, you can replace it with a metal one. Just look back through the threads and you will find it.

Frango100 12-17-2010 04:19 PM

Just found the thread and will put here the answer with the cheap fix.

I have had this problem on half my windows. Stop buying more and more regulators. Just fix the problem. It took a lot of searching to find this site, but it was worth it. It fixes the issue, is much cheaper ($30), and stops it from happening again.

part: http://pocketlogger.com/index.php?pid=jpw

Installation: http://pocketlogger.com/?pid=jpw_install

Be careful, if you try to rack the window up and down when it fails you will damage some plastic internal parts of the regulator.

ALSO: try using a small c-clamp on the window slide to keep the window in place after it breaks. Keeps your jeep secure and prevents all the duct tape goo. Mine always seemed to break while on a road trip... LOL

Hope this helps someone......

GiggityGiggity 12-17-2010 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 01grand (Post 319410)
Good luck, let me know how it goes. I've kinda become a self proclaimed expert at these, I had to do both front drivers and passengers side within about a month of each other. In the middle of summer with no warning either, apparently those little parts are fragile...

Ok well the stealership wanted $400 bux for the assembly! I couldn't help but tell the guy on the other end of the line parts that he's mad off his rocker and that hi way robbery. He agreed and told me the part was $200 and change only a couple years ago. Thanks but no thanks.

One local parts store had to order it in, might not have been here for tomorrow, they wanted $116.

I had actually emailed a couple of guys within a half hour of where I live who are parting their Jeeps. They both had the part, neither of them have replied back since Wed so forget them.

My other parts supply guys are generally a but pricier but always have stock. Lucky me, $154 with tax and I have the new assembly in hand.

Ran out of day light so I will try to get on this again tomorrow ASAP.