Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f196/)
-   -   seafoam? good or bad results (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f196/seafoam-good-or-bad-results-16342.html)

99PlatinumWJ 12-15-2010 07:39 PM

seafoam? good or bad results

since its been freezing cold lately, when i first start my jeep in the morning ive had what i believe to be as a lifter ticking/tapping/sticking whatever you wanna call it. it only does it for about 5 minutes until the motor is warmed up then it goes away. i was thinking about seafoaming my engine and seeing if it would reduce or eliminate this problem. ive read around and a lifter tick isnt serious since it goes away, but its annoying to me and i would like to stop it. so has anyone used seafoam since i never have and im worried about trying it? what kind of results, good or bad? ive also read up on and watched videos on youtube on how to do it, but i just want some opinions before i decide to try it or not... or do u suggest an other oil addative. i use Restore with every oil change already and change my oil every 3 months. so to seafoam or no...? oh and i changed my oil two weeks ago and it only started happening after the oil change, but it did drop drastically in temperature that week also. i plan to put the seafoam through the brake booster line, not the oil as i just changed it but i will if it works better. i also read i should change my plugs after i use it? please help with any knowledge and expeiences, and sorry this is so long but i want all the info i can before i decide to try seafoam. thank you in advance!

cheapjeep 12-15-2010 08:54 PM

Re: seafoam? good or bad results

If it's a dirt or sludge issue Seafoam will help though this cold start ticking is pretty common for a higher mileage 4.7. This engine isn't a conventional lifter pushrod engine It's an overhead cam design that uses hydraulic lash adjusters and like anything else they show wear after a while. If the Seafoam doesn't help you may have to learn to live with it or change out the lash adjusters which could get expensive.I had a Durango that did that for 40k and still ran fine. As far as Seafoam goes it's the ultimate inside engine cleaner. I throw a can in the engine oil about 500 mi before an oil change and a can in gas tank every few months or so and it works wonders. Also it's a better fuel stabilizer than Stabil. I use it in the boat and mowers. Good stuff.

99PlatinumWJ 12-15-2010 09:18 PM

I forgot to say I have the inline 6, not the v8. I had a cold air intake a while back so maybe it could be a dirt issue since it was pretty dirty, maybe not. Sounds like u have had good experiences so I might give it a try. Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated!

cheapjeep 12-15-2010 09:27 PM

Sorry bud I should looked up under your username. You know what they say about assuming.:lol:

99PlatinumWJ 12-15-2010 09:36 PM

Haha yeah I know about assuming! Its all good

JeepMe 12-16-2010 08:03 AM

I had a buddy who has a 2000 Cherokee and had a lifter tick when it was cold. He went to a thinner winter oil weight and that got rid of it (I think his used 10W30 so he went to 5W30). Apparently he claims the oil was getting too thick while cold to get through the passage to the lifters.

I have used seafoam OCCASIONALLY. I have my concerns with using it all the time. Anything that's corrosive enough to eat sludge and carbon deposites can NOT be that great for gaskets. That said, I will occasionally throw it in my gas when I'm almost empty b/c it's basically the same stuff they use at dealerships for injector cleaner. I will sometimes use it in the oil and engine (through brake booster).

If you're going to do it, just wait until a few hundred miles before your oil change and add it. Drive a little bit and then change the oil. After you run it through the engine and wherever else you're going to run it, I check the plugs. If your engine is terribly dirty I've seen it foul up the plugs. But if the plugs look fine, leave them.

Chaoul1 12-16-2010 08:40 AM

I used 10W30 during the summer and 10W40 during the winter time. I only used seafoam in my WJ once. It made it run a bit smoother. I never put it through the crank case though. I did have the lifter ticker, but I dealt with it.

99PlatinumWJ 12-16-2010 09:19 AM

Thanks for the feedback, I think ill just deal with the tick until next month and ill throw some seafoam in and change my oil and check the plugs. The sound is just annoying and embarrasing so hopefully the seafoam will work. At least it goes away after 5 minutes, but still its annoying!

Denny boy 12-16-2010 09:42 AM

you need to put a thinner oil in there. this is what we do at the dealership for some cars. ide run some 5w30 in there for winter time.

Your problem is that the oil is kinda jelly when it is cold so it won't move fast enough. that tap also happens with low oil levels.