Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Frozen Power Liftgate becoming a pain in the a$$...it's embarassing! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/frozen-power-liftgate-becoming-a-pain-in-the-a-its-embarassing-16345.html)

justin1569 12-15-2010 08:33 PM

Frozen Power Liftgate becoming a pain in the a$$...it's embarassing!

I don't know about any of you but we have a lot of snow here now in Edmonton. It snows every few days and ever since it's been cold, I've had problems opening up my liftgate. This is honestly pathetic now. Jeep has to fix this asap with a nationwide 'drop by whenever you want' recall. I want the power tailgate removed with a manual one NOW. There is nothing worse then coming to the back of the Jeep after shopping at Best Buy/Grocery Store when you can't even open up the tailgate to load your items. It just beeps and struggles, then shuts closed. You try to open it manually, but no...it feels like you're going to rip off the back. I'm serious...it does...and there's no way I'm going to put my strength into opening it even though I know I can probably rip it open to get my stuff in. It should just be easy!

This should be a recall issue big time. It is winter everywhere now...even in Florida. I can't be the only one with this issue. I'm resurfacing this issue again...I mentioned it before, but I am now RED with anger because I went backwards. I had an '06 Overland with manual tailgate and that worked flawlessly.

JEEP messed this one up big time...one small step forward technology wise = 3 steps backwards for customer satisfaction due to a faulty liftgate. Did they forget about winter and the cold when designing this liftgate? I have no ice jamming in the sides, it's not -30, it's just a normal winter day with snow on my vehicle. GIVE ME A BREAK!!! I want to use my liftgate now...it's not spring until April 2011!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

robpp 12-15-2010 08:39 PM

Re: Frozen Power Liftgate becoming a pain in the a$$...it's embarassing!

NHTSA: File a complaint; get your buddys to do that as well.

get a video of the exact issue. I can see you taking it to the dealer. the dealer hits the button when NO SNOW is present and it all works

we only have about 6K members. you need a larger group for Jeep to take notice. NHTSA>

GlowingGhoul 12-15-2010 08:42 PM

Mine works fine, with snow, in 15 degree weather, cracking off ice as it opens.

Is opening it manually when it's not frozen also difficult? You may simply have a bad actuator not putting out enough torque.

justin1569 12-15-2010 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robpp (Post 318542)
NHTSA: File a complaint; get your buddys to do that as well.

get a video of the exact issue. I can see you taking it to the dealer. the dealer hits the button when NO SNOW is present and it all works

we only have about 6K members. you need a larger group for Jeep to take notice. NHTSA>

Alright I will. I will document the problem with my iphone as a video and post it here when I can so others can see what I'm dealing with. I know I'm not alone!!!!

Scottina06 12-15-2010 08:43 PM

its not a safety concern or will cause an accident..so its a TSB.

justin1569 12-15-2010 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlowingGhoul (Post 318544)
Mine works fine, with snow, in 15 degree weather, cracking off ice as it opens.

Is opening it manually when it's not frozen also difficult? You may simply have a bad actuator not putting out enough torque.

I hope that's the case.

It is actually very hard to open it manually when it's not frozen. I'm not a weak guy either. It feels like I'm lifting 50lbs at the door handle, and when I'm closing it, it feels like it's 100lbs...i'm exaggerating but it feels like I can hang from the top before it budges downward. I hope my problem is with the actuator...it whines the odd time I open it automatically when it's not frozen.

GlowingGhoul 12-15-2010 08:52 PM

Mine is definately not that difficult to move manually.

This shouldn't be difficult to reproduce at the dealership.

Nbtstatic 12-15-2010 09:18 PM

What is your dealer saying about this?

robpp 12-15-2010 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justin1569 (Post 318549)
I hope that's the case.

It is actually very hard to open it manually when it's not frozen. I'm not a weak guy either. It feels like I'm lifting 50lbs at the door handle, and when I'm closing it, it feels like it's 100lbs...i'm exaggerating but it feels like I can hang from the top before it budges downward. I hope my problem is with the actuator...it whines the odd time I open it automatically when it's not frozen.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlowingGhoul (Post 318550)
Mine is definately not that difficult to move manually.

This shouldn't be difficult to reproduce at the dealership.

^^^^^^^thats it. i would head over to the nearest dealer and compare.

Hem-e 12-15-2010 09:23 PM

Mine is stuck closed and its not even cold here. It wont open at all anymore. The one time I was able to open/close it manually I had to use alot of force.

jeep2011 12-15-2010 09:25 PM

Sounds like you have a problem with the motor or gears. Even when I manually close/open mine it is very easy. I would bet the gears are stripped or the motor isn't disengaging properly.

2011JGC 12-15-2010 09:44 PM

12 degrees, snow and ice covered, tried to open automatically and tailgate ran into some ice build up on upper rear bumper and it closed back up.Pulled the handle it beeped but was able to open it manually with no problem. Haven't used steriods for some time either.....