Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Detailing (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f8/)
-   -   inbetween polish/compound spray cleaner (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f8/inbetween-polish-compound-spray-cleaner-1635.html)

B.P.O.D 07-22-2009 12:46 PM

inbetween polish/compound spray cleaner

what do you detailing gods use to spray down your paint to remove all oils from compound+polish in-between passes? i was told apc but wasn't sure if that was the best. what ratio do you use?

Jason@Gloss-it 07-22-2009 12:54 PM

Re: inbetween polish/compound spray cleaner

You definitely don't want to use an All Purpose Cleaner to remove the residue! You will strip off all your hard work and could actually harm your clear coat if you use too strong of a chemical.

Use a quick detail spray - it'll be safe enough. Our Gloss Enhancer actually contains some of the polymer used in our glosses so you will actually be adding shine and preserving the polishes.

What brands are you currently using?

Scottina06 07-22-2009 12:54 PM

p21s makes a nice cleaner spray for between methods

Martyp 07-22-2009 12:55 PM

I give the panel a IPA wipe down - simply isopropanol alcohol mixed with water 1:1 in a spray bottle.

This will remove all the oils left by the polish to show you the true finish (no fillers) and is essential before applying Zaino to polished paintwork as it won't stick to oily finishes.

B.P.O.D 07-22-2009 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason@Gloss-it (Post 37412)
You definitely don't want to use an All Purpose Cleaner to remove the residue! You will strip off all your hard work and could actually harm your clear coat if you use too strong of a chemical.

Use a quick detail spray - it'll be safe enough. Our Gloss Enhancer actually contains some of the polymer used in our glosses so you will actually be adding shine and preserving the polishes.

What brands are you currently using?

after i compound or polish and before i put on the glaze i want to spray something on there that will remove all the previous oils from the compound/polish. i saw the enhancer at mario's shop the other day. looks good. currently i was using meguiar's cleaner wax or quick detailer not UQD.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 37413)
p21s makes a nice cleaner spray for between methods

i will check it out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martyp (Post 37414)
I give the panel a IPA wipe down - simply isopropanol alcohol mixed with water 1:1 in a spray bottle.

This will remove all the oils left by the polish to show you the true finish (no fillers) and is essential before applying Zaino to polished paintwork as it won't stick to oily finishes.

yes exactly what i meant. i want to see the finish after each step to ensure i have removed all the defects. 1:1 isn't too strong marty?

Martyp 07-22-2009 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B.P.O.D (Post 37416)
yes exactly what i meant. i want to see the finish after each step to ensure i have removed all the defects. 1:1 isn't too strong marty?

You could use IPA neat and it won't do any harm, just works out too expensive - I use it 1:1 as do others on a detailing forum I'm on so you'll be fine buddy. :thumbsup:

B.P.O.D 07-22-2009 01:09 PM

do you use distilled water or regular water?

are you talking about autopia?

Martyp 07-22-2009 01:13 PM

I used some bottle water with it, whether that was necessary or not I'm not sure....

No, Detailing World, kinda a UK version of Autopia...

B.P.O.D 07-22-2009 01:15 PM

gotcha!!!! thanks marty!

one last question - would this 50/50 mix be good for removing was from plastic trim? i can't get the damn wax off from when i first waxed it last june!

Martyp 07-22-2009 01:20 PM

No really, even used neat it won't have much effect on removing wax.

Strong mix of APC or degreaser with a stiff brush should do the job - you could also try a pencil eraser.

Just remember to tape up your trims and rubber moulding whilst your polishing!

Harrison@Stage6 07-22-2009 01:24 PM

You want to use Distilled Water and IsoPro Alcohol in a 50/50 mix. This comes from the Big Man Rich@Gloss-It himself. I use it and my junk always turns out pretty good.

B.P.O.D 07-22-2009 01:28 PM

thanks marty! ill have to get some apc or apc+

thanks harrison! im hopefully gonna do a detail next week after this rain goes away!