Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   Transmission question? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/transmission-question-16421.html)

Motteler621 12-17-2010 08:07 PM

Transmission question?

So my 04 jeep grand cherokee threw a code, cant remember exactly what it was off hand, I think they said upshift solenoid but it was a transmission code. I called to find out when my warrenty ends on my transmission and it ends after Dec. 31st.

It went in today for diagnosis and they left a message saying the fluid was 2 quarts low and that could throw the code. They said they could top the fluid off and hope nothing is damaged inside or give it a flush and filter check and make sure no parts are broken inside.

Now the guy said the code was related to the upshift solenoid. The only problem I have felt with the transmission for like a year is when I put it into from park or reverse, it will jerk me forward when shifted into drive.

What do you guys think, I mean my warranty on my transmision ends dec 31st. Obviously I would have to pay for the flush since its not covered but all the internal parts and transmission is covered in warranty for the next couple weeks

robpp 12-17-2010 08:16 PM

Re: Transmission question?

if its the solenoid it will trow the code, get it back and drive it.

i would also question the place that holds the warranty.

Motteler621 12-17-2010 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robpp (Post 319531)
if its the solenoid it will trow the code, get it back and drive it.

i would also question the place that holds the warranty.

well it threw the code and I didnt really "feel" anything wrong with it at the time but it threw that check engine code. If I drive it, I wont notice anything since they didnt do anything and Ive been driving it for a few days since it threw the code without noticing anything.

I did notice when it threw that code I smelt a burning smell a little in the jeep while I was driving but I thought it might of been the heater, I dont know.

Anyway, my deal is since my warrently ends in a few weeks I want to make sure to get all the parts checked in the transmision to make sure they arent broke, right. Cause if i find out its broke after dec 31st, I have to pay for it on my own!! no warranty

btw. its the jeep dealership where I have a warranty. They are good people it seems.

Scottina06 12-17-2010 08:29 PM

do the key dance and get the code

Motteler621 12-17-2010 08:31 PM

I had the code before I called them. I just left the paper in the jeep that had the code on it. it was like P0 something, something,lol.

My questions are transmission flushes bad? its the dealership that would be doing it and it would be a good way for them to check all the internal parts that are covered without me just paying for diagnosis to check it.

they better not charge me a diagnosis fee just to check the freakin fluid level, lol.

Scottina06 12-17-2010 08:47 PM

that code can really help me narrow it down. I have an idea....just need the code.

I would just do a drain and fill. If there has been a failure...there will be metal in the cover when they drain it. But I think its just a sensor or low fluid.

Motteler621 12-17-2010 08:55 PM

Il post the code tomorrow when I talk to the guy. what would cause the fluid to go low? is that normal

Scottina06 12-17-2010 08:59 PM

have you ever had it serviced?

Motteler621 12-17-2010 09:31 PM

actually I just looked at the service records I have on it. It had the 30,000 mile tuneup at 34,300 miles. That included; changed transmision fluid.

Scottina06 12-17-2010 09:45 PM

hmmm...I thought maybe if you had just had it done that couldve left it low. Did the shop not find any leaks etc. or did they not look that close?

Motteler621 12-17-2010 09:59 PM

i dont think they looked that close. Il have to ask them why it was low in the first place when I talk to them tomorrow. Im just going to make sure all the bases are covered before this warranty is up.

cheapjeep 12-18-2010 10:15 PM

Are you talking your 7/70 powertrain warranty? If so def take it to the dealer before the 31st. Let them deal with it. It will cost you a $150 deductible but that's cheap compared to a tranny going out after the warranty expires.Sounds like you have a few issues going on there and if they end up tearing into it you may even end up with a warranty on the tranny for 6 months or so.