Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Off Road Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f42/)
-   -   Rough Country WK LIft (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f42/rough-country-wk-lift-16528.html)

readingbabelfish 12-20-2010 10:46 PM

Rough Country WK LIft

I am thinking of going with the Rough Country wk 2" lift kit. Is it any good? I am just doing this for looks. I would be keeping my stock wheels and tires on it for now. Would that look dumb? I don't have money for new rubber yet. I looked at the Daystars but that was made of polyurethane and I heard it may split or break. The Rough Country kit is all steel. It is pretty cheap too. Can I use my stock rear shocks with the Rough Country kit? What are your thoughts?

AcidCold 12-21-2010 04:35 PM

Re: Rough Country WK LIft

It's a good beginners lift, you can keep the stock shocks and will not look dumb with stock tires, just make sure you get an alignment after the install.

readingbabelfish 12-21-2010 04:54 PM

I won't require wheel spacers will I?

AcidCold 12-21-2010 05:01 PM

Not with stock tires or any tire under 255.

readingbabelfish 12-22-2010 04:55 PM

Thanks for the help bro! What would I need in order to fit some 265/70s on my stock rims under the fenders? Spacers, pinch weld mod? I appreciate the help!

alsu3 12-22-2010 05:44 PM

i am running 255-75-17s with no spacers other than the 1/8" that my wheels need to clear my brakes. u wouldnt need any spacers on stock wheels.

readingbabelfish 12-22-2010 09:59 PM

Alsu3, so are you running a lift kit on yours? So are you running a 1/8 spacer? Total noob here!

alsu3 12-23-2010 07:49 AM

yup i have the rough country 2" and moab wrangler wheels that need a 1/8" spacer to clear the brakes http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...0412001704.jpg

readingbabelfish 12-23-2010 09:05 AM

Looks pretty sweet! Why did you chanpge rims, just personal preference?

alsu3 12-23-2010 05:40 PM

i got a good deal on wheels and tires. and i am to lazy to change the tires to my stock wheels :)

DannyDude 12-23-2010 06:28 PM

Hey Read I just installed a Rough Country lift on my jeep and I love it. I still have the stock tires and rims on and it doesn't look half as bad in person as it does in pictures. My tires are still in good shape so I am just going to wait till they wear down before getting some 265/70/17 BFG AT's. A few things from personal experience. If you are installing the lift yourself invest in power tools if you don't already have any. It took me two days to install and I broke my back. It was well worth it though. Also keep in mind that with a lift your stock shocks will wear out quicker then normal so what I did was just installed Bilstein shocks all around while I was already down there to prevent having to do the work twice. From my understanding and reading threads with 265/70/17 tires you are going to need wheel spacers to avoid the ball joint screw that hangs down not too far from your front tires. I would never shave the screw. But none the less you can't go wrong with a lift on a jeep. The rough country was the perfect choice for me and I actually got a steal on mine from ebay. I won a bid from a dealership for a penny plus 20 dollars shipping. I was almost sure I was getting scamed because it seemed to good to be true but a few days later I received the kit in the mail Brand new still in the original box. I guess I lucked out.

readingbabelfish 12-23-2010 07:18 PM

If I do get spacers to for bigger tires down the road, do I only get spacers for the front? If so, would it look odd with spacers on the front but not on the back? Thanks for all the help!