Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f196/)
-   -   Engine Swap (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f196/engine-swap-16542.html)

draphty 12-21-2010 11:29 AM

Engine Swap

Hello Everyone...I picked up a '99 Limited with a bad 4.7 and a JY engine to replace it. My question is for the people that have done this swap...I see a tool/bracket/lifting point that Jeep says is required to pull the 4.7. It's a bit pricey and I really don't want to buy it. Anyone offer a suggestion on bolting a chain to it and lifting it out?...Or how did you do it?

Thanks!
Draphty

Scottina06 12-21-2010 01:01 PM

Re: Engine Swap

maybe PM scjeep4.7ho.....he has pulled his several times

draphty 12-21-2010 02:25 PM

Thanks Scottina...I'll do that.

Draphty

cheapjeep 12-21-2010 05:11 PM

Probably some sort of plate that bolts to those 2 big studs 1 on each side of the intake.

jeepweld 12-23-2010 12:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I just used the two studs bolted to the heads with a chain going to an engine lift. Really quite simple, I was happy with that. Then I hooked up a ratchet strap around the front of the engine somewhere to level it off so it could clear the radiator.

Here is a pic of my recent swap which shows the ratchet strap and chain. I guess someone thinks that it was level enough to put their beer on. :thumbsup:

hope this helps,
Brian

draphty 12-24-2010 01:12 PM

Hey...yep, that helps. Thanks Brian. It looks like you did not take the front end off like the FSM suggests. Is this true?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scottina06 12-24-2010 01:15 PM

awesome pic Brian!

draphty 12-24-2010 01:47 PM

I'm gonna be hitting my jeep pretty hard come Monday Morning. Trying to get everything I need to get this swap done. I have 3 days to get it done from start to finish, as I'm working alone and in our plant floor where I work. So any info that will save me some time and effort is greatly appreciated.

jeepweld 12-31-2010 11:52 AM

Sorry I didn't get an answer back to you sooner, I did not take the front clip out. Only took the radiator and the support out. You have to take the motor mounts off of the engine so it can come out this way.

How did it go for you?

Brian

draphty 01-04-2011 09:14 PM

No problem Brian, thanks for the info...I did not jump on it last week like I planned. Since my daughter was not in K3 for the week, I decided I would rather hang out with her. She's 3 and I'm 45, so I felt like she was more important. The WJ is an extra vehicle and not my daily driver. I'm gonna continue collecting info and have everything ready to go. Right now I'm thinking that I should put a new rear main seal in it while it's out. Best I can tell, it was in a JY for about 2 years before I got it.

Manny

JeradyDavis 01-09-2011 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepweld (Post 322224)
I just used the two studs bolted to the heads with a chain going to an engine lift. Really quite simple, I was happy with that. Then I hooked up a ratchet strap around the front of the engine somewhere to level it off so it could clear the radiator.

Here is a pic of my recent swap which shows the ratchet strap and chain. I guess someone thinks that it was level enough to put their beer on. :thumbsup:

hope this helps,
Brian

That's exactly how I did, with the lift and ratchet strap. I took off the front clip and all the coolers, it made it lots easier, and it's only 6 or 8 screws some clips and a couple bolts, nice jeep btw, I love my 99

HxcJohnny 01-13-2011 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by draphty (Post 321216)
Hello Everyone...I picked up a '99 Limited with a bad 4.7 and a JY engine to replace it. My question is for the people that have done this swap...I see a tool/bracket/lifting point that Jeep says is required to pull the 4.7. It's a bit pricey and I really don't want to buy it. Anyone offer a suggestion on bolting a chain to it and lifting it out?...Or how did you do it?

Thanks!
Draphty

just connect a beefy chain to the two lift point on top of the motor and pull it out. the 4.7 is actually a super easy engine to pull