Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems Discussion (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f77/)
-   -   Leaky Rad Cap, replacec with Stant? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f77/leaky-rad-cap-replacec-with-stant-16592.html)

GratefulDeadWK 12-22-2010 09:03 AM

Leaky Rad Cap, replacec with Stant?

Has anyone ever used Stant products? I can get a replacement radiator cap for 6.00 as opposed to the OEM price of $28+.

It is rated at 18 psi, should I just grab this or spring for the Mopar?

I got a feeling the quality is prob better since my cap is OEM and is leaking @88K.

robpp 12-22-2010 09:56 AM

Re: Leaky Rad Cap, replacec with Stant?

i have the stant 18 lbs. it stopped the spray. have it for 2 years.

GratefulDeadWK 12-22-2010 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robpp (Post 321737)
i have the stant 18 lbs. it stopped the spray. have it for 2 years.

Great good to know. I'll be picking one up today. It redic how the OEM cap is over $28 and prob not as good. Do you have the stant with that pressure relief on the top?

robpp 12-22-2010 11:04 AM

yes. i Paid about 15 at NAPA.

GratefulDeadWK 12-23-2010 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robpp (Post 321758)
yes. i Paid about 15 at NAPA.

wow I paid 4.33 for mine at autozone

robpp 12-23-2010 10:00 AM

a stant with the locking top? then you killed me. im old and going off memory but that what I THINK I PAID :lol:

GratefulDeadWK 12-23-2010 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robpp (Post 322346)
a stant with the locking top? then you killed me. im old and going off memory but that what I THINK I PAID :lol:

its ok I didn't see the need for a pressure relief valve. Just seems like one more thing to fail IMO

FUGIECAT 12-23-2010 05:02 PM

Hey guys. Chrysler has replaced our original radiator caps with a new one. It is Part# 4596198. It is round in design. IT DOES NOT LEAK!!!!!! BT is in the process of making up a billet cover for the new round cap. Should be available mid January. With regards to the Stant caps, I also put on the regular stant oem replacement cap that is 16psi cap. They don't make a 17psi replacement cap. In theory the pressure release would take more pressure to release with the 18psi version, but I spoke with the head guy at Stant and he insisted that I use the 16psi version. This also has not leaked. He stated better spring and gasket in their product over the oem one. About $6 at Pep Boys. This way you can use your existing BT cover. If you don't have the BT cover, then I would simply get the new Chrysler cap. It is black and decent looking.

robpp 12-23-2010 05:12 PM

i got enough BT already :lol: but Thanks for the info :thumbsup:

GratefulDeadWK 12-24-2010 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FUGIECAT (Post 322552)
Hey guys. Chrysler has replaced our original radiator caps with a new one. It is Part# 4596198. It is round in design. IT DOES NOT LEAK!!!!!! BT is in the process of making up a billet cover for the new round cap. Should be available mid January. With regards to the Stant caps, I also put on the regular stant oem replacement cap that is 16psi cap. They don't make a 17psi replacement cap. In theory the pressure release would take more pressure to release with the 18psi version, but I spoke with the head guy at Stant and he insisted that I use the 16psi version. This also has not leaked. He stated better spring and gasket in their product over the oem one. About $6 at Pep Boys. This way you can use your existing BT cover. If you don't have the BT cover, then I would simply get the new Chrysler cap. It is black and decent looking.

The OEM Chrysler parts are so overpriced or I would have got it. This isint a 911 here. Then again I do have a MB transmission.