Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Someone have a DIY for spark plugs on a 2007 5.7L WK? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/someone-have-a-diy-for-spark-plugs-on-a-2007-5-7l-wk-16659.html)

TheAngryMinnow 12-23-2010 10:37 PM

Someone have a DIY for spark plugs on a 2007 5.7L WK?

WKjeeps has one without pix and I'm just wondering, there's all this hub bub about getting the harnesses in the right order...can't you just undo one wire harness, change that spark plug and go to the next one instead?

John 12-23-2010 11:40 PM

Re: Someone have a DIY for spark plugs on a 2007 5.7L WK?

Yes you can. I have a 2006 with a 5.7 and just did my plugs yesterday... I did one cyl at a time and it worked great.

to be honest, I done think its possible to screw the wiring up .... the connector to the coils are only long enough to reach the correct coil. Atleast thats how it was on my jeep

TheAngryMinnow 12-24-2010 12:41 AM

thats what i thought looking at it. the champion plugs are clear that they dont require any seizure lube but do they need the dielectric grease on them?

Chaoul1 12-24-2010 10:29 AM

One cylinder at a time man. Don't unplug them all at once if you are too worried.

BTW there's 2 Spark Plugs per Cylinder so 16 in total!

TheAngryMinnow 12-24-2010 01:03 PM

yup got them yesterday. do i need the dielectric grease?

TheAngryMinnow 12-24-2010 06:35 PM

i got it...but had only a 6" extension and not the two 3" i so sorely needed. ended up having to remove both fuse boxes to get a straight angle on the sparks to get the first two back in. FML

John 12-25-2010 12:48 AM

sry just saw your question about the Dieatelic (sp) grease and comment about the two 3 inch extensions. There was so much from the factory that I just reused what I had :) . And Yes i FOUND THAT i NEEED two 3 inch wobbler extension with one of those angle socket things. dONT KNOW HOW i WOULD HAVE DONE IT without them :)

NOTE 1: I found this tip very very helpful when threading the plugs...I used about 1ft of car vacuum tubing I had hanging around and fitted it over the end of the plug and then used that to guide and screw the plugs into the block so as to not cross thread them. The though here is that the tube is used to help guiding the plug down into the hole and will not transfer enough torque to cross tread if the plug is not lined up correctly. If the plug screws in smoothly, you know its lined up properly http://www.jeepforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

NOTE 2:
I bought my PLUGS from the dealer, and they sold me the Champion "COPPER PLUS" Federal-Mogul - Champion Copper Plus Spark Plugs

Dealer price was like $69 (80 with tax) for 16 plugs. They came gaped @ .40 so not adjustment was needed.

Let me know if the tips and extra info is helpful and if anybody finds these plugs cheaper let me know http://www.jeepforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

BTW it took me about 5 hrs to do this job the first time... is that in line with you or did I take forever ?

TheAngryMinnow 12-25-2010 02:21 AM

wow thats rough with the no hotlinking plus the plugs are supposed to be .045 not .040 from what ive read. ive gotta go out and get two wobble 3" extensions

i got all 16 from advance auto parts for around $40

Walt 12-25-2010 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheAngryMinnow (Post 323107)
wow thats rough with the no hotlinking plus the plugs are supposed to be .045 not .040 from what ive read. ive gotta go out and get two wobble 3" extensions

i got all 16 from advance auto parts for around $40

Another suggestion:
I bought this set from Sears on sale: #009-42274, a 3-piece magnetized wobble extension spark plug socket set by K-D. Extensions are 4, 6, and 11 inches.
Bought torque wrench on sale also: Digitork #009-44596 (5-80 ft-lbs).

You can look these tools up on line or in their specialty tool catalog. :thumbsup:

Advance Auto Parts, Auto Zone, and O'Reilly's all have the Champion Copper Core 570's at $1.99. Just bought them a week ago. Cite the on-line price and ask for a price match. ;)

My owner's manual ('08) calls for 0.043" gap. Have seen everything from 0.040" - 0.045" for these plugs in this application. Interesting...... I do remember that the gaps had increased significantly on my factory set after 32K miles; they were probably somewhere in the mid-50's..

Since my spark plugs are coming due in 4k miles (60k total miles), I'll look to see if anything is abnormal and worth reporting here.

John 12-25-2010 11:42 AM

OPPS you are correct ..my plugs were suppose to be .045 and I put them in with .040! Will this small difference cause a problem or should I take all the plugs back out and regap them ?

Scottina06 12-25-2010 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John (Post 323095)
sry just saw your question about the Dieatelic (sp) grease and comment about the two 3 inch extensions. There was so much from the factory that I just reused what I had :) . And Yes i FOUND THAT i NEEED two 3 inch wobbler extension with one of those angle socket things. dONT KNOW HOW i WOULD HAVE DONE IT without them :)

NOTE 1: I found this tip very very helpful when threading the plugs...I used about 1ft of car vacuum tubing I had hanging around and fitted it over the end of the plug and then used that to guide and screw the plugs into the block so as to not cross thread them. The though here is that the tube is used to help guiding the plug down into the hole and will not transfer enough torque to cross tread if the plug is not lined up correctly. If the plug screws in smoothly, you know its lined up properly http://www.jeepforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

NOTE 2:
I bought my PLUGS from the dealer, and they sold me the Champion "COPPER PLUS" Federal-Mogul - Champion Copper Plus Spark Plugs

Dealer price was like $69 (80 with tax) for 16 plugs. They came gaped @ .40 so not adjustment was needed.

Let me know if the tips and extra info is helpful and if anybody finds these plugs cheaper let me know http://www.jeepforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

BTW it took me about 5 hrs to do this job the first time... is that in line with you or did I take forever ?

LOL....looks like jeepforum has also banned the word jeepgarage.....petty

Walt 12-26-2010 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John (Post 323180)
OPPS you are correct ..my plugs were suppose to be .045 and I put them in with .040! Will this small difference cause a problem or should I take all the plugs back out and regap them ?

Wouldn't think so. They will "wear in". The spark will just start somewhat sooner as the dielectric of the air/fuel mixture breaks down. The engine control electronics should sense this and adjust the timing accordingly.

My '08 owner's manual call for 0.043", whereas the '08 WK FSM calls for 0.045". Other places call for 0.040", depending on model year. Shouldn't be an issue IMHO.