Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems Discussion (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f77/)
-   -   08 jeep wk gets stuck in 4lo (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f77/08-jeep-wk-gets-stuck-in-4lo-16719.html)

TJcust 12-26-2010 04:22 PM

08 jeep wk gets stuck in 4lo

Hi, I have an 08 grand chrokee with 70 xxx km on it. I have only owned it for 8 thousand km. The first time I tried 4 lo I was stuck in a rut doing some moderate off road driving. I put it in 4 lo and got out no problem. I then tried the standard shift procedure to disengage 4lo. The light flashed for about 30 seconds then stoped and stayed lit. After multiple attempts including shifting it into the nutral using a bobby pin near the t-shifter I shut the vehicle off and waited for 15 min on the side of the road. I tried again and it came out. When I got home I tried once more thinking it was just a bad shift since I was at a slight incline. Shifted in and out no problem.

Just yesterday about a month later I was stuck in a snow bank. I had used 4 lo to get to my girlffriends cabin earlier that day with no problem. I got out of the snow bank and again same problem. I tried reversing back 50 feet and shutting the vehicle off and trying again. I when I drive forward it will not shift into 2nd gear. It tries then clunks hard and reverts back to first gear. My engine light eventally came on and is still on. I managed to get it to my grandparents where I left it for about an hour. I went out and it shifted out of 4lo no problem.

I am bringing it in for warantee later this week I am just asking if anyone knows what it may be so they don't mess with me. It seems to me like something is wrong with the tcase. I had smelled burning fluid when driving to the cabin earlier that day but didn't think too much of it untill now. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Chaoul1 12-26-2010 04:27 PM

Re: 08 jeep wk gets stuck in 4lo

You are shifting the transmission into neutral when you are shifting the transfer case into 4Lo right? How fast have you gone with 4Lo in gear? I think you aren't suppose to go over 25mph if you are in 4Lo. Maybe it's a faulty sensor. Who knows. Have you tried disconnecting your battery for 30 seconds? Do you hold the T up when you are shifting? Try just lifting it up for half a second and listen carefully to hear if something is jammed. Definitely take it to the dealership and get that checked up!

TJcust 12-26-2010 06:30 PM

I have not gone over 25miles and i use the correct shifting procedures. Eventually it told me to check shift procedures and woul ddo so until I turned off the vechicle and turned it back on. Any reason why it would do this? or why my engine light is on.

robpp 12-27-2010 01:07 PM

cel means something is wrong with a system in the jeep. you need to figure out what causing light to come on.....sounds like TC issue but could be a gabillion things. go to dealer and get it looked at under warranty.

TJcust 12-30-2010 01:01 PM

So I took my jeep in yesterday. They put it into and took it out of 4 lo. No problems so they called and siad it was done. When I went to pick it up they charged me 120 dollars since they could not find a problem. The engine code was a check shift procedure. Didn't know that would throw an engine code.

Anyways I was wondering if anyone else has had trouble getting it out of 4 lo. I know the manual states that it can be hard to get into 4 lo if not moving(rolling) and may take a few attempts. Would this be the same getting out? I am quite worried that it will eventually fail completely when the warantee is up. I am contemplating just blowing my TC next time it happens, and then taking it back saying I told you so.

TJcust 12-30-2010 01:04 PM

Also they didn't even check the fluid since its a sealed unit. I find there service way below standard. Such low quality is sad to see in a company that should be striving for excelence. I am going to bring it in next chance I get and check it myself. Unfortenatly I am going on a 2200km trip for the weekend. I pray nothing goes wrong and I get stuck on one of the many mountain passes I have to go over.