Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Liftgate DAMAGED when using remote (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/liftgate-damaged-when-using-remote-16748.html)

JEEF 12-27-2010 03:12 PM

Liftgate DAMAGED when using remote

4 Attachment(s)
:mad: About 30 minutes ago I used my remote to open my Liftgate and I heard plastic crack and buckle. The Liftgate opened about 3/4 of the way and then quickly shut.

Now I have body and spoiler damage. There was no ice or moisture on the Jeep and it spent the night in a warm garage. However it has been below freezing today and it happened after being parked outside for several hours.

I'll let you all know how long it takes to get fixed. Hope this doesn't happen to any of you.

Rat Farts! :mad:

Scottina06 12-27-2010 03:15 PM

Re: Liftgate DAMAGED when using remote

had to be something in it....

DieselvRR 12-27-2010 03:22 PM

how did that happen?????

IndyBob 12-27-2010 03:22 PM

Sorry to hear this. It must have been frozen pretty good to do that damage.:(

JEEF 12-27-2010 03:25 PM

I gave it a bath before parking it lastnight. It was around 40 when I washed it and my garage stays in the 60's. Do you think water collected in the spoiler and then froze today in the cold weather?
Is it normal for water to collect in the Spoiler? I've noticed streams of water dripping from the spoiler after a wash. I try to drive around for a while so the wind removes whatever water the car wash blower didn't get.

IndyBob 12-27-2010 03:30 PM

How cold was it outside when you parked it for a few hours?

JEEF 12-27-2010 03:45 PM

It was in my garage for at least 15hrs after I washed it. It was outside for 4-5hrs when the damage happened. It was in the 20's when it broke.

Red G8R 12-27-2010 03:51 PM

Not sure what coud have caused that. I can say that mine was just in a car wash last week with - 2 C daytime and -10 C at night without any effect. If it was water, you should have seen alot of broken ice in the area. It may have been some other hard object that may have fallen on the roof and slid down to that area. Could you have forgotten something there in the cleaning process? Whatever it was, you would think the object would still be there after the incident.

Thanks for the warning.....hope the repair goes well.

White Chocolate 12-27-2010 04:23 PM

ohhhhh boy that looks terrible :(

LJS8510 12-27-2010 04:26 PM

I would think even if it was water that froze, (which it does not sound like it was) it should not happen.
The motor should cut out before it does that kind of damage.
:(

moosehead 12-27-2010 04:53 PM

Ouch, that hurts, sorry Jeef.

While the liftgate top stays close and drops down into the rear roof lid upon opening, as opposed to lifting up and away, it would take something real unusual to cause that much damage. Like others, I've had the rig washed in really cold weather, and a ton of rooftop snow and melt, but nothing came close to binding let alone that badly.

Hope it works out, let us know what the dealer says.

Marlin 12-27-2010 05:43 PM

Thats bad damage, sorry to see :(