Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/)
-   -   20+ inches of Snow (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/20-inches-of-snow-16752.html)

RyeGuy 12-27-2010 04:33 PM

20+ inches of Snow

....And i can't play because my WK2 was in a little fender last Sat!! Like really?!? Luckily my boss lent me his 2011 escalde for the storm (had to play chaufer). By the way this thing sucks in the snow! All it has is AWD no 4 Lo or anything. Secondly the front bumper is about 5 inches from the ground like WTF this thing is like a big plow that gets stuck every 20 feet. Wipers Suck, Traction Sucks, vehicle in general sucks...lol ....all IMO.

Also my WK2 interior blows this thing out of the water. I just want her back lol. Hvae everyones is being safe out there!

Repo503 12-27-2010 04:44 PM

Re: 20+ inches of Snow

My Yukon Denali does alright in snow and it has the same drivetrain as an Escalade. 4lo is mostly worthless in snow. The overhang on Escalades does suck but worse is their wheel and tire setup. Like wearing ballet slippers to climb Annapurna 1. I run a dedicated winter wheel/tire setup and its pretty much unstoppable in the white stuff.

Anyway the Escalade is the SUV for people who would have been better off buying a minivan. Does nothing particularly well especially when you consider a Yukon Denali is essentially the same vehicle for 5-8k less.

Also seems odd to have a vehicle on the market for about 5 years now without even minor equipment changes.

RyeGuy 12-27-2010 04:51 PM

Its not horrible. But i used to have a 2000 Tahoe and it was like driving a tank in the snow!

xmonger 12-27-2010 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Repo503 (Post 323916)
My Yukon Denali does alright in snow and it has the same drivetrain as an Escalade. 4lo is mostly worthless in snow. The overhang on Escalades does suck but worse is their wheel and tire setup. Like wearing ballet slippers to climb Annapurna 1. I run a dedicated winter wheel/tire setup and its pretty much unstoppable in the white stuff.

Anyway the Escalade is the SUV for people who would have been better off buying a minivan. Does nothing particularly well especially when you consider a Yukon Denali is essentially the same vehicle for 5-8k less.

Also seems odd to have a vehicle on the market for about 5 years now without even minor equipment changes.

I have to disagree on the 4-lo comment. We got 26" here and our development remains unplowed. My neighbor in his JK was the only vehicle that left the neighborhood. I went to follow suit in the ZJ and was getting stuck on every turn, I slapped it into 4-lo and problem solved.

Deep/unplowed snow calls for 4-lo. I always heard others say the same, and I just validated it myself today.

Repo503 12-27-2010 05:55 PM

I've never once used low range in snow. Even in relatively deep snow at slow speeds being easy on the pedals and having real snow tires is all you need. My neighbor drives a FWD Volvo with snow tires and I've followed him down into town in pretty deep snow without problems.

xmonger 12-27-2010 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Repo503 (Post 323939)
I've never once used low range in snow. Even in relatively deep snow at slow speeds being easy on the pedals and having real snow tires is all you need. My neighbor drives a FWD Volvo with snow tires and I've followed him down into town in pretty deep snow without problems.

Yeah, real snow rated tires make all the difference. Although, with the blizzard that just passed through this area you need all three:

1- tires
2- clearance
3- good 4wd system

giantsfan 12-27-2010 06:35 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 4599

Attachment 4600

Had fun last night in the blizzard in my first Jeep! This was the first time i got to test it out. Crazy fun. Safe. Will never own anything else :)

2011 Black Limited GC
Hemi V8

giantsfan 12-27-2010 06:36 PM

GF took pic while i was driving. Drive with care of course :)

jerky 12-27-2010 08:22 PM

I had an 05 Escalade before my WK2 and it was terrible in the snow. It performed much like the NY Giants have the past 2 weeks. AWD had me fish tail every corner. Just drove the Jeep in the snow today and never slipped once. I loved the Escalade for it's roominess and smooth ride but am thrilled with the Jeep. Bring on the next storm.

GEEZ 12-27-2010 08:33 PM

i drove my jeep around and didnt have any problems...even with the reps on....its my first jeep and really enjoy this truck..

rdalcanto 12-27-2010 08:38 PM

Our Suburban with Blizzaks is an unstoppable tank in the snow. Unbelievable traction.

Knightrider03m 12-27-2010 08:44 PM

My Jeep is great in the snow. My snow tires really bite into the snow well.