Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Draft under seats (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/draft-under-seats-16776.html)

ron1man 12-28-2010 09:47 AM

Draft under seats

I notice what seems to be a cold draft coming from directly underneath the front seats.
The heating is fine, its not the ventilation fans, or near floor heating ducts.

I cant trace it to anything I just feel it under my throttle knee,
or if I place my hand under the seats. Could it be sub-standard insulation, or some type of intended air circulation?
At 20 deg F its really noticeable, even when its been warmed up. Anyone notice the same?

This is on a Limited w/Lux Grp II option.

whatevrworks 12-29-2010 09:24 PM

Re: Draft under seats

May want to check the compartments under both seats, supposedly the battery compartment is vented to the outside (which makes sense) but maybe a source of the airflow. If that is not the problem then it has to be coming from under the dash somewhere, maybe a missing grommet or seal in firewall. Most likely from the compartments though. Is it only while the vehicle is moving?

ron1man 12-30-2010 08:58 PM

I noticed it just when moving, not so much still.
I just picked it up last week so I havent much time to trial various conditions yet.

Today it was in the upper 30's and the condition was less to non-existent during a 2 hr highway drive.
I'll have my dealership check it out and let you know.

Thanks for the reply.

LiquidOxygen 02-16-2011 10:24 PM

Any Resolve to this?? I have the same problem. Can feel a cold draft at the back of my lower legs. Its def not the cooled seats. really annoying when its -25

Blaze 02-17-2011 05:32 PM

I thought it was just me.

pattyboy 02-17-2011 05:34 PM

same here X3

Keith 02-18-2011 12:12 AM

Yup.....mine too. Like liquid oxygen in a previous post, I am from Edmonton as well. With -25 today it took a long time to warm up and I could feel a draft when driving. Thought it might just be me and the really cold day.. Guess not!

Lingohocken 02-18-2011 01:51 AM

How about having another person use a cigar or (less smelly) cigarette to ascertain the direction of the flow while you're driving, and thus help pinpoint the source?

Once found, it might be readily resolved by applying electrician's putty, which unlike chewing gum or window putty stays pliable and is easily pulled off (e.g., to remove the battery cover if that's the culprit). Or, with luck perhaps some sticky foam (for doors, windows, etc.) gasketing or duct/electrical tape would be a permanent fix.

LiquidOxygen 02-18-2011 08:00 PM

Once found, it might be readily resolved by applying electrician's putty, which unlike chewing gum or window putty stays pliable and is easily pulled off (e.g., to remove the battery cover if that's the culprit). Or, with luck perhaps some sticky foam (for doors, windows, etc.) gasketing or duct/electrical tape would be a permanent fix.[/QUOTE]

This would be fine in my old beat up truck but totally unacceptable on my Brand New Overland

JoeSchmoe007 02-20-2011 08:59 PM

I think I felt something like this yesterday for the first time in 1,000 miles during 2 hours highway ride (this was also my first highway ride of this duration in new WK2). It was not obvious, very slight.

Here is a crazy thought: I had climate control on Auto and when I checked vent in footwell cold-ish air was blowing from them at the time. So could it just be this? I increased temperature a bit and it seemed to disappear. On my way back I didn't feel it at all. Outside temperature was about 40 F.

LiquidOxygen 02-21-2011 12:50 AM

If your above the set temp when you switch to auto climate does it blow coldish air to maintain the set temp? Or does it just wait until the temp drops below the setting before kicking it up a notch to readjust? I always use the defrost/floor setting. I usually use the manual fan mode until it's nice and warm and then set it to auto with a lower more comfortable temp. If it does blow cooler air to maintain the auto setting then you could be right. Maybe I just need a better understanding of exactly how the climate control behaves. I will try a few different things over the next couple days and report back with my findings.

bwerkma1 02-21-2011 01:24 AM

I noticed the same cold drafts around my legs during test drives of Overland's during some really cold days. It seemed to go away when I switched it to Defrost/Floor and raised the Temperature.

Coincidentally, I too am in Edmonton. I'll see what happens when my Overland comes into town in a couple of months.