Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Unlocking the WK2 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/unlocking-the-wk2-16823.html)

Mashie 12-29-2010 12:45 PM

Unlocking the WK2

Silly question I know but I just can't seem to figure it out. When I walk up to my WK2 and put my hand on the inside the door handle the drivers door unlocks without a problem. From here, how do you unlock the rest of the doors without opening up the driver door and pressing the unlock button on the door control pad?

With my father in-laws Morano, he presses the botton on the handle once to open the driver door and a 2nd time to open all of the other doors.

Thanks in advance lol

I feel silly asking the question...

DannyG 12-29-2010 12:59 PM

Re: Unlocking the WK2

You have two options. First is to pull out the fob and push the unlock button twice. Second, in the setup menu in the evic, you can set the unlock mode to be all doors instead of driver side only. In this case, your hand in the handle or one push on the fob will unlock all doors at once.

Cperez 12-29-2010 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mashie (Post 324818)
Silly question I know but I just can't seem to figure it out. When I walk up to my WK2 and put my hand on the inside the door handle the drivers door unlocks without a problem. From here, how do you unlock the rest of the doors without opening up the driver door and pressing the unlock button on the door control pad?

With my father in-laws Morano, he presses the botton on the handle once to open the driver door and a 2nd time to open all of the other doors.

Thanks in advance lol

LOL, thanks for sparing me the embarrassment of asking! I know how to unlock all using the fob, but what's the point of that? I'm sure it can be done with the door but couldn't figure it out when I went out there and tried just now.

Then again, I've only had my WK2 for 24 hrs. :D Sorry Mash, couldn't resist.

Remleym 12-29-2010 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mashie (Post 324818)

Thanks in advance lol

There's an EVIC setting for that. Scroll through and find one that sets all doors to open rather than just the driver's door. This from the Owner's Manual...

NOTE:
If the vehicle is equipped with Passive Entry

and the EVIC is programmed to Unlock All Doors 1st
Press, all doors will unlock no matter which Passive
Entry equipped door handle is grasped. If Driver Door
1st Press is programmed, only the driverís door will
unlock when the driverís door is grasped. With Passive
Entry, if Driver Door 1st Press is programmed touching
the handle more than once will only result in the driverís
door opening. You have to touch a passenger Passive
Entry equipped door handle to unlock all doors passively
when Driverís Door Only is programmed in the EVIC.

Mashie 12-29-2010 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Remleym (Post 324832)
There's an EVIC setting for that. Scroll through and find one that sets all doors to open rather than just the driver's door. This from the Owner's Manual...

NOTE:
If the vehicle is equipped with Passive Entry

and the EVIC is programmed to Unlock All Doors 1st

Press, all doors will unlock no matter which Passive
Entry equipped door handle is grasped. If Driver Door
1st Press is programmed, only the driverís door will
unlock when the driverís door is grasped. With Passive
Entry, if Driver Door 1st Press is programmed touching
the handle more than once will only result in the driverís
door opening. You have to touch a passenger Passive
Entry equipped door handle to unlock all doors passively
when Driverís Door Only is programmed in the EVIC.

Thanks, I read this but I guess I just didnt want to believe it. What is the point in having a passive entry system if the only way to unlock all the doors is to either 1.) set it to unlock all doors all the time, 2.) pull out the FOB and use the button or 3.) walk around to the passenger door, unlock it by gripping the handle, then walking back around to the driver door to enter the truck.

Seems a little counter-intuitive to me...

Technosavant 12-29-2010 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mashie (Post 324877)
Thanks, I read this but I guess I just didnt want to believe it. What is the point in having a passive entry system if the only way to unlock all the doors is to either 1.) set it to unlock all doors all the time, 2.) pull out the FOB and use the button or 3.) walk around to the passenger door, unlock it by gripping the handle, then walking back around to the driver door to enter the truck.

It's a security feature. For my vehicle, I have it set to unlock everything when I do. If it were my wife's car, I would have it set to only unlock the driver's door to preclude somebody getting in on the passenger side without an invitation. We have her Acura set to only unlock the driver's door when she puts it into park for the same reason.

MeanDean 12-29-2010 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mashie (Post 324877)

Maybe I'm a little thick, but I don't understand what you want it to do. Short of being able to read your mind, I just don't see another way that the Jeep can only unlock just the doors you want during any given instance. Honestly, I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I just don't understand what you are expecting.

IMHO, I love the passive entry. I always open the door for my wife so I don't have an issue - the key is in my pocket, I touch the passenger door handle and it opens. If it's not my wife riding with me, the passenger has to wait until I touch the drivers door handle, then they can enter the vehicle. Simple.

jonesark 12-29-2010 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeanDean (Post 325067)
Maybe I'm a little thick, but I don't understand what you want it to do. Short of being able to read your mind, I just don't see another way that the Jeep can only unlock just the doors you want during any given instance. Honestly, I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I just don't understand what you are expecting.

IMHO, I love the passive entry. I always open the door for my wife so I don't have an issue - the key is in my pocket, I touch the passenger door handle and it opens. If it's not my wife riding with me, the passenger has to wait until I touch the drivers door handle, then they can enter the vehicle. Simple.

x2

Cperez 12-29-2010 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeanDean (Post 325067)

He wants it to unlock the driver's door at the first touch, and IF DESIRED, to unlock all the rest of the doors with some other gesture or use of the chrome door button. His other car does exactly what he wants the WK2 to do.

And if that's not what he meant, it's what I would like it to do, although if I'm getting in anyway, it's not that tough to tap the interior unlock button. I may just relent and have it unlock all doors simultaneously via the EVIC setting.

robg 12-30-2010 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cperez (Post 325070)
He wants it to unlock the driver's door at the first touch, and IF DESIRED, to unlock all the rest of the doors with some other gesture or use of the chrome door button. His other car does exactly what he wants the WK2 to do.

And if that's not what he meant, it's what I would like it to do, although if I'm getting in anyway, it's not that tough to tap the interior unlock button. I may just relent and have it unlock all doors simultaneously via the EVIC setting.

I understand and agree with Cperez and the OP. Other cars, even a Hyundai, will unlock just the drivers door on the first touch and all the doors with a second touch. This is not an unusual request or feature. Other, lower prices vehicles already do it.

MeanDean 12-30-2010 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robg (Post 325176)
I understand and agree with Cperez and the OP. Other cars, even a Hyundai, will unlock just the drivers door on the first touch and all the doors with a second touch. This is not an unusual request or feature. Other, lower prices vehicles already do it.

Okay, tracking now. Seems like a small nit-pick, but I guess it wouldn't be that hard for Jeep to include it. Although, I'd rather not have it than drive a Hyundai.

Cperez 12-30-2010 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeanDean (Post 325207)
Okay, tracking now. Seems like a small nit-pick, but I guess it wouldn't be that hard for Jeep to include it. Although, I'd rather not have it than drive a Hyundai.

I'll concede that it's a bit nit picky, but when there is a feature that delights the way passive entry does, a little shortcoming tends to get magnified. But that's what v1 and early adoption is all about. :cool:

x517 re your last line.