Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   What Happened to Consumer Reports Safety Complaint? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/what-happened-to-consumer-reports-safety-complaint-16846.html)

Lingohocken 12-30-2010 03:05 AM

What Happened to Consumer Reports Safety Complaint?

Some time back CR reported (see earlier JG thread) that the 2011 GC had a seemingly dangerous side skid issue which nobody else has reported before or since. They said they would retest with another GC, but since then nary a peep.

This is fishy. Normally they get right back in cases like this with new safety test results, but this time ... silence. You have to wonder whether they retested and found their original claim was ill-founded and just don't want to admit it.

Sure is weird. Anybody have contact with them to find out what the heck is going on?

GlowingGhoul 12-30-2010 10:36 AM

Re: What Happened to Consumer Reports Safety Complaint?

I'm sure we will hear no more about that "problem" from CR.

jeepnjeep 12-30-2010 11:32 AM

CR seems to have some kind of vendetta against Jeep. They regularly knock the hell out of Jeeps when every Jeep I've ever had has been a very good vehicle and almost everyone I know has had the same exprience. Yes they have problems but for the most part nothing major and every car company has problems. The two cars I bought primarily because of CR's recommendation have been crap! I do not pay any attention to their car reports because I believe they have a definite bias against/for certain brands. They should stick to toasters and washing machines, etc.

GlowingGhoul 12-30-2010 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepnjeep (Post 325291)
CR seems to have some kind of vendetta against Jeep. They regularly knock the hell out of Jeeps when every Jeep I've ever had has been a very good vehicle and almost everyone I know has had the same exprience. Yes they have problems but for the most part nothing major and every car company has problems. The two cars I bought primarily because of CR's recommendation have been crap! I do not pay any attention to their car reports because I believe they have a definite bias against/for certain brands. They should stick to toasters and washing machines, etc.

+1

whatevrworks 12-30-2010 12:35 PM

Quote:

CR is a blatantly liberal organization, they claim to be non-partisan and fair, and that may be the case for most products, but they rarely if ever give ANY good marks to any SUV or truck and seem to be supporters of caps on emissions and CO2 (anyone else for stopping breathing? . . . .). Afterall they came out in support of Obamacare. So although I check them for items like TVs and stuff, I never even look at them for car reviews any longer.

chibianh 12-30-2010 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whatevrworks (Post 325319)
CR is a blatantly liberal organization, they claim to be non-partisan and fair, and that may be the case for most products, but they rarely if ever give ANY good marks to any SUV or truck and seem to be supporters of caps on emissions and CO2 (anyone else for stopping breathing? . . . .). Afterall they came out in support of Obamacare. So although I check them for items like TVs and stuff, I never even look at them for car reviews any longer.

lol.. what does obamacare have to do with this? yet, you still use CR for looking up other things?

ps. i consider myself liberal and for obamacare, yet i love my Jeep.. maybe i'm conflicted within? ;)

KarlG 12-30-2010 12:43 PM

Quote:

+2

Their love affair with anything made by Toyota is legendary. After the rest of the world discovered that the brand is nothing special, and in some ways worse than most domestics they even felt compelled to write a whiny article justifying their behavior a few years back.

We had a Sienna Minivan a while back when Chrysler did not offer an AWD version. Consumer Reports loved it, and it was a mess. Numerous major problems that were very common on the forums and known that Toyota never would cowboy up to or admit existed.

whatevrworks 12-30-2010 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chibianh (Post 325321)
lol.. what does obamacare have to do with this? yet, you still use CR for looking up other things?

ps. i consider myself liberal and for obamacare, yet i love my Jeep.. maybe i'm conflicted within? ;)

Im just saying they lean left, they only seem to give good marks to smaller fuel efficient vehicles, and when they are nonpartisan how can they come out in favor of obamacare? I find it hard to believe that every larger vehicle ever made is a piece of junk, and most small cars are fantastic like they rate them. Not trying to get into a political discussion just saying that they are not as un-biased as they claim.

Oh and by the way the we forgive you for seeing the light and driving a good vehicle . . . . :)

Lingohocken 12-30-2010 03:30 PM

Guaranteed that CR, located in leafy Connecticut, and The New York Times will sniff at any vehicle's offroad prowess. Fair enough (arguably), but CR has chosen to explicitly not recommend the GC because of a tentative safety issue.

Since that initial test they have written nary another word even though they stated outright there was to be a retest with a second GC, and customarily they are quick to report on safety retests. If that retest showed that there is, in fact, a safety problem, then CR should report this openly so Jeep engineers can look into it.

If, however, CR found that their initial test was off the mark, they should man up and say so.

Instead, the way it is now millions of people are being influenced by CR not to purchase an outstanding American vehicle. The number of people at JG who won't purchase a WK2 because of that "safety" report can be counted on one hand with five fingers left over. But it hurts Jeep, and unfairly, which ultimately impacts the rest of us, too.

whatevrworks 12-30-2010 03:40 PM

Amazingly they were fairly quick to review the lexus suv they put a "do not buy" or whatever recommendation on due to one maneuver in their testing. Supposedly they tweaked the ESC software to fix it. They reviewed that again in a few months and said it was ok.

Lingohocken 12-30-2010 07:10 PM

It was much less than a few months...

Redcivic47 12-30-2010 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lingohocken (Post 325471)
It was much less than a few months...

Was looking at the new issue of Consumer Reports. They said the v6 didn't do so well so they tried a hemi limited which faired better. Check it out