Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/)
-   -   UPDATE...2011 Nav. Systems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/update-2011-nav-systems-16847.html)

CapecodJeep 12-30-2010 06:33 AM

UPDATE...2011 Nav. Systems

12/29, I picked up my Overland. There were two other Overlands w/Saddle being delivered as well. All were delivered with the 730N RER Nav., yet the MSRP states the 420N Garmin. My order was placed in Sept., built in Dec. The order placed, and the MRSP clearly state 420N Garmin. I know the dealership owner well, and have informed him, insisted that Chrysler replace with the Garmin. As I recall, the 730N RER was discontinued, phased out, to be replaced by the Garmin. I am very disappointed with Chrysler.

salsfirst 12-30-2010 07:10 AM

Re: UPDATE...2011 Nav. Systems

Quote:

Originally Posted by CapecodJeep (Post 325170)
12/29, I picked up my Overland. There were two other Overlands w/Saddle being delivered as well. All were delivered with the 730N RER Nav., yet the MSRP states the 420N Garmin. My order was placed in Sept., built in Dec. The order placed, and the MRSP clearly state 420N Garmin. I know the dealership owner well, and have informed him, insisted that Chrysler replace with the Garmin. As I recall, the 730N RER was discontinued, phased out, to be replaced by the Garmin. I am very disappointed with Chrysler.

Yep, that's exactly what happened to me, same dealer. Not sure if I care that much yet. Only nit is the iPhone doesn't fit real well in that front compartment since the cable is so thick and not very flexible. Also I can't figure out how to make it shuffle my playlists.

CapecodJeep 12-30-2010 07:22 AM

slafirst....saw your ride yesterday, while Dan was walking me through the different features. Dan was surprised to see the Garmin was not installed. Frankly, the Nav. in the 2011 is the same one I had in my 2008 Overland Hemi. I am not a happy camper. That said, the ride back to the Cape was extremely pleasant. Big difference when compared to the 2008 Overland.

salsfirst 12-30-2010 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CapecodJeep (Post 325178)
slafirst....saw your ride yesterday, while Dan was walking me through the different features. Dan was surprised to see the Garmin was not installed. Frankly, the Nav. in the 2011 is the same one I had in my 2008 Overland Hemi. I am not a happy camper. That said, the ride back to the Cape was extremely pleasant. Big difference when compared to the 2008 Overland.

Yeh, I talked to Dan as well. He's a straight up guy. It sounds like these dealers are at the mercy of "corporate" lately. Damn those "corporate" guys, they don't bring in any revenue.....:lol: sorry just the old consulting field guy kicking in. ;)

CapecodJeep 12-30-2010 08:03 AM

Salsfirst, fire me an email to rennell3@verizon.net, with your cell #. I will call and vent with you. I will forward you my cell, as well.

PMD G8 12-30-2010 08:39 AM

This is very discouraging.....

Cape, just to clarify, when you ordered your vehicle did you have the option of both the 430 and the 730? If so which one did you order?

CapecodJeep 12-30-2010 09:03 AM

PMD G8......I recall the only option was 430N Garmin. The dealership owner responded this morning, informing me the Chrysler reps (DM) he needs to speak with is off the rest of this week. He plans to get to the bottom of the issue next week. Personally, I am not backing off. I want either the 430N Garmin, or the much talked about, 730N RHR. Either way, I do not want the 730N RER, which is the same as the one in the '08 Overland Hemi that I turned in. Stay tuned...!!!!

Cperez 12-30-2010 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CapecodJeep (Post 325210)
PMD G8......I recall the only option was 430N Garmin. The dealership owner responded this morning, informing me the Chrysler reps (DM) he needs to speak with is off the rest of this week. He plans to get to the bottom of the issue next week. Personally, I am not backing off. I want either the 430N Garmin, or the much talked about, 730N RHR. Either way, I do not want the 730N RER, which is the same as the one in the '08 Overland Hemi that I turned in. Stay tuned...!!!!

Thx guys!! I am feeling 1000% better about "settling" for my 430n now! (seriously)

Good luck with your resolution. It does seem like the dealers are at the mercy of Corporate on this one. Some smart guy probably made the calculated decision that a surprise switch to RER would be seen as an upgrade by most buyers.

GlowingGhoul 12-30-2010 10:26 AM

Why would you want the cheaper unit with less accurate navigation than the 730 RER? The Garmin unit has no dead reckoning gyroscopes, lower resolution, no Sirius live road condition updates and was intended as a low cost "value" alternative to the Harman unit.

Disappointed in Chrysler? They did you a favor.

By the way, the Hemi unit in your engine compartment is an old design that's been around for years. I suggest you force the dealer to swap out that antique for the brand new Pentastar, it must be better.

CapecodJeep 12-30-2010 10:35 AM

GlowingGhoul,

You may have a point...! However, the much talked about software upgrade for the Garmin is suppose to enhance the features on the Garmin. My dealer intend's to find out when he engages with the local Chrysler DM next week. Diappointed with Chrysler until issue is resolved. Stay tuned.

MSCA 12-30-2010 10:36 AM

No dead reckoning on the Garmin unit? I thought all in-dash nav units had speed sensor input for dead reckoning? Without dead reckoning, you might as well be using a portable unit suction-cupped to your windshield!

GlowingGhoul 12-30-2010 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSCA (Post 325230)
No dead reckoning on the Garmin unit? I thought all in-dash nav units had speed sensor input for dead reckoning? Without dead reckoning, you might as well be using a portable unit suction-cupped to your windshield!

Speed sensor input is used to improve accuracy in both units, but the Harman has accelerometers which are more accurate than speed sensors alone for distance and electronic gyro's to detect yaw.

You can drive for miles in city canyons with the 730 RER and not lose Nav. Most mainstream head units cannot maintain pinpoint accuracy for very long periods with a complete loss of the Sat signal. I drive extensively in and around NYC and the 730 never, ever, lost it's bearing for a second, even being able to distinguish between closely placed, narrow streets blocked by bridges above and buildings to the sides.