Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Tech Tips/DIY/How To (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f156/)
-   -   LED Liftgate Reverse and Tail Light Install w/pics (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f156/led-liftgate-reverse-and-tail-light-install-w-pics-16858.html)

whatevrworks 12-30-2010 02:29 PM

LED Liftgate Reverse and Tail Light Install w/pics

10 Attachment(s)
** update: Added night pics further down in the thread.**

I installed the LED liftgate reverse and tail light bulbs today. This install was the worst out of all the bulbs I have replaced. If I could find a Chrysler engineer I would have slapped him a few times while asking them what they were thinking. The only way to access these bulbs that I could find was to remove the interior panel of the liftgate. The two 8mm bolts pictured in picture #1 seem like a good idea but there are other bolts holding the light down that you cannot get at from the outside as well. Also in the middle of the bottom section of the liftgate there is what appears to be an access panel. Do use that either, it is for servicing the latch to something on the bottom of the liftgate there is no access to the lights here either.

If you have any plans on replacing the interior bulbs with LED as well buy the ones for the liftgate/cargo area as well because these can be accessed at the same time while the interior panel is off.

Factory bulbs are:
Liftgate reverse: 921 (W16W)
Liftgate Tail Light: W3W

These are the ones I used:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product

I started from the bottom center of the interior panel with a plastic putty knife to pry the panel form the liftgate without scratching paint. I worked my way outward and around to the top of the panel on each side. You may need a screwdriver to pry near the plastic retainer clip. These are supposed to be disposable but I have found in the past that as long as they are not old and brittle and you are careful they can be reused and that was the case this time too. If you break them, no big deal they are about 25 cents at the dealer.

I did not remove the panel all the way just enough to access the bulbs. Give both a quarter turn to the left to remove. They both have rubber gaskets that tend to move out of place when you remove the light sockets so make sure they get back in the right place before reinstalling. Swap the light with the LED but definitely make sure they ALL work because you dont want to have to do this again after you get everything back together.

Make sure the interior door panel retainer clips all line up with the holes and snap the panel back on. There are maybe a dozen clips around the panel so make sure they are all clipped in to avoid rattles later on. The last step is the rubber seal around the liftgate flipper glass. The plastic panel will probably be on top of part of the seal now so take something such as a screwdriver or even a pen or something and run it under the seal so that it sits on top of the plastic panel again to keep any water out.

Im glad LEDs last longer than I will probably keep the car because I dont want to have to do this again! :)

Pictures:
1. 8mm exterior bolts (tempting but dont!)
2. Interior Panel Separated showing retainer clips
3. Left side bottom of liftgate interior panel showing retainer clips
4. Back side of liftgate lights left side of vehicle
5. Factory tail (left) and reverse (right)
6. Factory Reverse bulb and Replacement reverse LED
7. Factory Tail Light bulb and Replacement Tail light LED
8. Replacement LEDs on
9. Replacement LEDs off
10. Showing seal around rear glass that must be moved on top of plastic after putting interior panel back on.
11. Factory reverse and tail light (the reverse bulb on the right was replaced with LED several weeks ago thats why it looks white compared to the OEM).
12. End results LED liftgate reverse and tail lights.

whatevrworks 12-30-2010 02:30 PM

Re: LED Liftgate Reverse and Tail Light Install w/pics

2 Attachment(s)
The final results:

I will try to get a night pic and post tonight.

RyeGuy 12-30-2010 02:38 PM

Awesome write up. How long would you say this took you? +1 to you

yukon 12-30-2010 02:39 PM

Super write up....I now have a pile of LED's to install when I get my Overland. Looks as if I will be busy for a couple of weeks do to your excellent directions...I have printed them all out so when it comes time.:thumbsup:

whatevrworks 12-30-2010 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RyeGuy (Post 325366)
Awesome write up. How long would you say this took you? +1 to you

Well if I had to do it again probably 30 min or less being careful when removing the interior panel and careful putting it back on. Took me a lot longer because I was busy swearing at Chrysler engineers and trying to find how to access the lights. :)

whatevrworks 12-30-2010 05:51 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Here are some night pics, it was not totally dark but you get the idea. You can see that that liftgate tail lights are brighter than the OEM brake light/tail lights (cant change them yet due to the fact they are also turn signals). Also the backup lights are MUCH brighter than stock in my opinion.

Pictures
1. Reverse Lights on, everything else off (some light from behind me from my garage in this one)
2. Everything on, reverse, tail, license plates, all except brake lights. No back light behind me in this one or the next two.
3. Tail lights
4. Another tail light shot

RyeGuy 12-30-2010 05:52 PM

Sweet Looks awesome!

papi 12-30-2010 06:54 PM

love it!

Redcivic47 12-30-2010 09:11 PM

have you looked into putting inline resistors so that the turn signal will flash at the correct speed?

whatevrworks 12-30-2010 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redcivic47 (Post 325527)
have you looked into putting inline resistors so that the turn signal will flash at the correct speed?

I am working on building a plug n play resistor that should work. I prefer the plug n play I possible and saves me from having to cut into the wiring.

Angel 12-30-2010 10:27 PM

Nice work!!! Are you projecting to change blinkers as well? I like how LED are blinking, like small explosions.

STIX 12-30-2010 10:45 PM

awesome as usual! +1