Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   Passenger side locks won't unlock (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/passenger-side-locks-wont-unlock-16859.html)

ithinkfit914 12-30-2010 02:37 PM

Passenger side locks won't unlock

Passenger side locks won't unlock. I have to manually unlock them. Any quick fixes besides changing out the whole lock. Do I have to take off the door and WD-40 them??

Frango100 12-30-2010 02:57 PM

Re: Passenger side locks won't unlock

Are you sure its only the passengers side doors and not also the drivers side aft door? In this last case, you would probably have a broken wire in the front passengers side door wire boot (in between the door and the body)
When you use the door lock/unlock switch on the drivers door, does that make any difference? Are all fuses ok?

ithinkfit914 12-30-2010 03:17 PM

driver side doors all unlock and lock when used with the remote keyless entry and on the unlock and lock button on the driver side. Just the passenger side doors won't unlock. but they always lock

Frango100 12-30-2010 04:41 PM

The power lock motor operates in 2 directions, by reversing the current. So if the motor works in one direction, the motor itself is ok. So maybe it is some wiring problem to the unlock side. The passenger side doors, the LH aft door and the liftgate are all controlled from the Passenger Door Module. I would start by looking into the fwd passenger door boot to see if there is any wire broken.

jeepweld 12-31-2010 11:47 AM

This happened to my brothers '00 WJ on the passenger side and I ended up replacing the lock actuator. Lock actuators are notorious for having problems in WJs. I did is driverside one a couple years before. Normally you will here them start to buzz or screech when they start to go bad.

Brian

ithinkfit914 12-31-2010 03:18 PM

Yeah they screech. So I'd have to change the actuators??

jeepweld 12-31-2010 09:43 PM

I bet your actuator is shot then. They can and do go bad in one direction only. They aren't cheap and might be a dealer only item. I can't remember since I have always gone to the dealer to get them, might be because I couldn't find them anywhere else.
You have to remove the inner door panel and then you will see where it is. It isn't a hard job, the lingage is easy to work with if you know how the plastic locking thingies work.

hope this helps,
Brian

uniquetreatone 04-12-2011 10:16 AM

This morning when I press the remote to open the door,I heard a loud screech & the driver's door lock only moved halfway. Now I guess I'll be putting a new actuator in on Friday when I'm off. Does anyone know the lowest price I can find one ?

Frango100 04-12-2011 12:58 PM

I have never tried it, but is there no way to lubricate the lock motor?

ithinkfit914 04-13-2011 11:29 AM

Thats what I was thinking Frango. There should be a way to lubricate it to stop it from screeching

Chaoul1 04-13-2011 01:47 PM

I have a Lock Actuator with the window switches for a WJ if you want it. $50 shipped!

uniquetreatone 04-13-2011 02:18 PM

I just changed the driver's side actuator & everything was going fine until I I got to the arm that's connected to the key lock.What a pain in the a**! If my fingers were the size of my 3 year old daughter's,it would've been so much easier. After I finally got it out, I said out loud,son of a b**** now I have to fit the new one in. One of my couple of my friends at work recorded me cursing up a storm trying to get the new piece in the key lock. Our secretary couldn't see what I was doing while I was bent by the door and started yelling at me to let go of whoever I was beating up up & cursing out. Lol. Needless to say I got it in & now I must go repent for everything I said.