Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Members Rides-Showoff (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f110/)
-   -   Interior Night Pics please (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f110/interior-night-pics-please-16863.html)

rybocf 12-30-2010 05:31 PM

Interior Night Pics please

Hi everyone,

I am a stickler for interior lighting and am really close to pulling the trigger on the new GC. Do any of you owners mind snapping a couple of night interior shots of your new GC so I can get a feel for the dashboard and ambient lighting?

I would really aprpreciate it.

Ryan

whatevrworks 12-30-2010 05:38 PM

Re: Interior Night Pics please

Check this thread there is a good pic about half way down the first page that will give you an idea.

http://www.jeepgarage.org/showthread...ght=door+light

Cperez 12-30-2010 08:31 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Ryan, if you're a stickler then these shots are probably going to disappoint, but blame my photography and not the WK2's lighting scheme.

I used autoshutter on a tripod and no flash. Even with the tripod, the prolonged exposure time introduced some issues when I triggered the shot. Dummy, I should have used the timer. Also, the glow from the parking lamps is exaggerated for the same reason. A shot from the middle of the back seat would have been nice but I didn't have the time to set up a tripod back there. I was too busy looking for the rubber foot that flew off one of the tripod's legs as I extended them in the dark. I found it by sheer luck and tenacity as it has come to rest on the INSIDE of one of my wife's wheels. The WK2's built-in flashlight was a lifesaver.

Back to lighting. There is a nice soft LED glow that comes down from the sunglass compartment, lights in each of the front door latches, and lights in the storage compartments on each front door. You can see the lights ringing the cup holders. As an aside, my kids wondered if my cupholders and other ambient lighting LEDs could change colors like the ones on my wife's Edge. Sheesh.

It would have been nice for the designers to share some LED love with the back seat occupants, but alas all they get is the glow from their seat warmer buttons at the rear base of the center console. Granted it would have been hard to shoot a spot on them from above with that enormous pano moonroof up there. Range Rover does this for the rear-seat passengers, and also lights up all four door grab handles. Range Rover also charges roughly twice as much for their vehicle; do the math.

IMO, the WK2 gets the interior lighting right. It provides good utility when you need to find something but is subtle enough to give off a solid "cool" vibe. On a related note, some have not been crazy about the quantity and brightness of some of the indicator lights on the dash display (lights, foggers, etc.). It's not an issue for me because of the way I position my steering wheel. It winds up eclipsing them entirely.

I'll let others chime in with their impressions of the lighting and maybe toss in some improved photos. You raise a good question in asking about this, because I'd wager that just about everyone test drives their vehicles in daylight. Matter of fact, I commented something similar to my daughter during our maiden drive home on Tuesday. The trip spilled into the evening hours and I was glad to experience the transition and check out the WK2's different personality when the sun was down.

Scottina06 12-30-2010 08:36 PM

love the new lighting

GlowingGhoul 12-30-2010 08:37 PM

I wonder when the ambient lighting kit will be released by Mopar...

joebinotto 12-30-2010 08:40 PM

nice!

rybocf 12-30-2010 09:12 PM

Chris,

Thank you SO much, that was really nice of you to take the time!

Ok, so the lighting is a "light blue" color for most of the ambient lighting and buttons/switches?

It looks pretty nice. The reason I ask is I am trading in a 2008 Cadillac SRX and it is a really nice interior in the daylight, but the night colors the monotone, off-white, boring, standard Fisher Price Chevy style. I came from VW Touareg and really enjoy the red with some deep blue in the VW/Audi line.

It doesn't need to be cream of the crop for me, but it has to be cool and interesting and not just dead fish. The fact that they put them in the cupholders and door handles means Jeep at least put a little effort into the passengers' experience in the vehicle at night.

Thanks again,
-Ryan

Bucky 12-30-2010 09:27 PM

There was a thread a few months back that had other really good shots of the interior at night. I did a quick search, but couldn't find it. I think it was just a new owner posting pics; it wasn't necessarily an 'interior lighting' thread.

Bucky 12-30-2010 09:31 PM

Here it is: http://www.jeepgarage.org/f110/some-photos-charcoal-overland-14526.html

Cperez 12-30-2010 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rybocf@yahoo.com (Post 325529)
Ok, so the lighting is a "light blue" color for most of the ambient lighting and buttons/switches?

Colors are tough to describe but to my eye, it's an interesting mix of blue and green, and may lean more to the green. The fact that it's hard to peg is what makes it interesting. Definitely not dead fish or antiseptic. Then you look at the dash display and it's all business but still with a bit of flair. White on black, and the needles actually look like needles: very thin red with tips that are just a bit wider than the body.

I would be interested in seeing how the lighting looks in other interior colors. My frame of reference is how it all works together in a black leather interior, and I love it.

rybocf 12-30-2010 09:34 PM

Sweet, Black is about the only interior color I can stand in most cars. Some can pull off the "saddle brown", depending on how stylish it is.

Thanks!

moosehead 12-30-2010 11:07 PM

OP, I came out of a VW Touareg and a bunch of Audi's. The WK2 interior and night lighting are really well done. It also shares the firmer seating and handling of the German rigs rather than being a marshmallow. You won't be disappointed.