Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   4 point stand support all wheels off?? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/4-point-stand-support-all-wheels-off-16870.html)

ohioscott 12-30-2010 09:54 PM

4 point stand support all wheels off??

OK, I am getting ready to do struts, shocks, pads & Rotors on our 06 WK.

I would like to lift the entire vehicle pull all 4 wheels and work my way around. I also plan on painting the calipers while I have things apart.

My question is I have a floor jack and 4 sturdy stands. any ideas on jack and stand locations?

Lift from body points and support under suspension?? or lift high enough off frame to slack suspension and support near the frame as well?

thanks.

Frank TJ 12-30-2010 10:00 PM

Lift high enough so you can put jack stands on frame(unibody) near suspension mounts and let the suspension droop out.

JeepCoop 12-31-2010 11:55 AM

Re: 4 point stand support all wheels off??

Yea I just did it to plasti dip my Wheels. Tripped me the hell out doing it but as long as you place the stands like Frank says, you'll be golden!!! GL!!

PS doin my own shocks next week lemme know how it goes!! :D

wkthursty 12-31-2010 12:03 PM

it works when placing the floor stands (if they extend high enough) near the front and rear suspension. my jacks and stands didn't extend high enough. i had to use a four by four timber to help get the wheels off ground.

ohioscott 12-31-2010 04:44 PM

Thanks for the posts

The shocks/struts are not in yet. Should be next week I am just getting ready/planning.

I'll make some notes and take a pic or 2 if I come across anything interesting during the work.

ohioscott 01-26-2011 07:51 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Well my Shocks/Struts finally came in. I got the Jeep jacked up all 4's in the air. I was not messing around with springs just shocks so I jacked up off the pumpkin and placed stands under axle in rear. sorry for the poor picture quality bad lighting in my garage.

The front I put under the frame where 2 sections were joined this seemed stronger to me overall. I also jacked each front side up off the cross support pictured to give my jack stand base enough room to fit under the frame section I selected. This worked very well.

I jacked the rear up first and supported it and then each side of the front. I set each side of the front down and then lowered the rear. Everything seemed to work well and it was very nice to be able to have all 4 wheels off at once.

JeepGuy026 01-30-2011 10:41 PM

ohioscott i have the same jack as you ;)

SolarWar 01-31-2011 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepGuy026 (Post 344861)
ohioscott i have the same jack as you ;)

Same here!

Sent from my DROIDX

ohioscott 02-02-2011 10:21 PM

Great minds : )