Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Coolant Flush (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/coolant-flush-16904.html)

jasonkoscho 01-01-2011 10:55 AM

Coolant Flush
 
I've only had the jeep for about 3 months now, and I'll man up and say that I just accidentally poured wiper fluid into the coolant reservoir.

Lets hear it and get it all out of the way now...

I drove the car for 10 minutes after I mixed the two. I'm about to do a coolant flush today but I just wanted to check-in here first and hear your thoughts and tips on doing this. It seems pretty straight forward. I didn't plan on using the line tap, I was just going to:

1. Drain.
2. Flush with hose while the car runs until coolant runs clear.
3. Shut off car and let water drain out.
3. Plug drain.
4. Refill with 50/50

Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I believe the coolant capacity is 14qts?

Thanks in advance.
Jason.

Denny boy 01-01-2011 11:06 AM

Re: Coolant Flush
 
antifreeze and coolant are the same thing. do you mean windshield wash?

but yes that would be the way to do the flush you just have to get the thermostat open though.

lll2for3lll 01-01-2011 11:19 AM

Re: Coolant Flush
 
Yeah. I was about to ask do you not pour antifreeze in there. LOL. Had me confused.

jasonkoscho 01-01-2011 11:36 AM

Re: Coolant Flush
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Denny boy (Post 326175)
antifreeze and coolant are the same thing. do you mean windshield wash?

but yes that would be the way to do the flush you just have to get the thermostat open though.

HA!
Thanks for catching that! Yes. Wiper fluid...
But do I have the process correct? Is that all I need to do?

robpp 01-01-2011 01:13 PM

Re: Coolant Flush
 
yes, one important thing though is not to let the old stuff just run out.........it poisonous to animals....if the neighbor dog drinks some it dies,

Walt 01-01-2011 08:02 PM

Re: Coolant Flush
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonkoscho (Post 326170)
.... I just accidentally poured wiper fluid into the coolant reservoir.....I'm about to do a coolant flush today but I just wanted to check-in here first and hear your thoughts and tips on doing this. .....Refill with 50/50

Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I believe the coolant capacity is 14qts?

Use HOAT antifreeze. Check owner's manual to verify or go to http://www.wkjeeps.com/wk_cooling.htm

2005JGC 01-01-2011 10:37 PM

Re: Coolant Flush
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by robpp (Post 326213)
yes, one important thing though is not to let the old stuff just run out.........it poisonous to animals....if the neighbor dog drinks some it dies,

Perfect opportunty to get rid of that pesky barking crap machine leaving landmines all over YOUR yard. ;) I just need to get the all the cats livingg with the crazy cat lady next door to drink up following repairs ha ha.

Denny boy 01-02-2011 01:37 AM

Re: Coolant Flush
 
I would take off the thermostat and do the flush. I wouldn't think that the windshield wash would do that much as it is mostly water. unless you put like two gallons of it in there.

Archer9 01-02-2011 09:00 AM

Re: Coolant Flush
 
Hold on. If you poured washer fluid into the reservoir, there's probably verry little that got into the engine. I'm with Denny B....it's mostly water so shouldn't be that serious. I would just drain the reservoir and refill it with the proper coolant mix to the cold level marker. BTW how much washer fluid did you put in?

AND please be responsible with the toxic waste that you drain out!

jasonkoscho 01-03-2011 09:00 AM

Re: Coolant Flush
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Archer9 (Post 326782)
Hold on. If you poured washer fluid into the reservoir, there's probably verry little that got into the engine. I'm with Denny B....it's mostly water so shouldn't be that serious. I would just drain the reservoir and refill it with the proper coolant mix to the cold level marker. BTW how much washer fluid did you put in?

AND please be responsible with the toxic waste that you drain out!

I put in about 1/2 of the bottle into the reservoir. I actually flushed everything out over the weekend and I did dispose of it properly and safely (In my neighbors backyard.. jk). I picked up a tester and tested it and the numbers look good. I think im good to go.

The one tricky part was filing it back up, it took forever -- very slow!
Thanks everyone!

cort692 01-05-2011 10:24 AM

Re: Coolant Flush
 
Use some of Prestone's Super Flush with water it really makes a difference.

I wouldn't refill with 50/50 but instead get good antifreeze and mix it yourself, the ratio doesn't need to be exact but you'll get much better quality in the long run!

Dont forget to pressurize the system after you've refilled it by running your heat on high with your car on.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:38 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community