Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   jeep shakes (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/jeep-shakes-16916.html)

99limited 01-01-2011 06:06 PM

jeep shakes

when i get around 50, but only does it occasionally. i slow down about 10 mph and start on the gas again and it stops and comes back at random times..Any ideeas?

Robert Palmer 01-01-2011 06:15 PM

Re: jeep shakes

What you have is what known as "Death Wobble".

It may be caused by a couple of things:

Trackbar
Front End alignment
Steering Stabilizer

Check those out.

cheapjeep 01-01-2011 06:26 PM

First and easiest thing to try is getting the front tires rebalanced. WJs really hate worn or unbalanced front tires.Your shake is coming at a high enough speed it might just be a tire problem.

elhoov99 01-01-2011 07:06 PM

My son has a '99 Cherokee 4wd (4.0L ) and had the same kind of experience---referred to as the "Death Wobble"--basically had to replace track bar,steering stabilizer, tie rod ends,control arm bushings, and some other suspension parts, but at 190,000 miles , it was "time".. The Death Wobble is nearly 100 % gone --after all that get a professional alignment as they know the term well and will also compensate with camber adjustment as well---good luck as it becomes trial and error and each vehicle is somewhat unique in the findings / fixes..

JeepMe 01-01-2011 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elhoov99 (Post 326321)
My son has a '99 Cherokee 4wd (4.0L ) and had the same kind of experience---referred to as the "Death Wobble"--basically had to replace track bar,steering stabilizer, tie rod ends,control arm bushings, and some other suspension parts, but at 190,000 miles , it was "time".. The Death Wobble is nearly 100 % gone --after all that get a professional alignment as they know the term well and will also compensate with camber adjustment as well---good luck as it becomes trial and error and each vehicle is somewhat unique in the findings / fixes..

Just so you know, they won't do anything to the camber. The only thing adjustable on the WJ is the toe. Caster and camber are locked in place.

The death wobble can be caused from any number of things and is almost always something loose in a suspension part. Get under the Jeep and check to see if anything is loose and you can move it by hand. If it move a little by hand, it needs to be replaced.

99limited 01-01-2011 10:10 PM

thanks guys..appreciate the help

jeepweld 01-01-2011 11:21 PM

You should try rotating your tires too and see if it gets better or worse. The balance and condition of your tires play a huge role in keeping your wobble from starting in the first place.

hope this helps,
Brian