Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   What's that sensor-looking thing? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/whats-that-sensor-looking-thing-16940.html)

THEPRFCT10 01-02-2011 09:13 AM

What's that sensor-looking thing?

Hey guys, looking at the front of my Overland in the front windshield facing forward looks like a lense that is pointing straight out-forward thru the windshield. It's not on the mirror, but rather a larger-plastic piece just below the mirror. Any ideas what this is? I see the other sensor closer on the mirror, but this one is separate just below the mirror itself. Thanks!

Redcivic47 01-02-2011 10:18 AM

Re: What's that sensor-looking thing?

Smartbeam high beams

whatevrworks 01-02-2011 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THEPRFCT10 (Post 326787)
Hey guys, looking at the front of my Overland in the front windshield facing forward looks like a lense that is pointing straight out-forward thru the windshield. It's not on the mirror, but rather a larger-plastic piece just below the mirror. Any ideas what this is? I see the other sensor closer on the mirror, but this one is separate just below the mirror itself. Thanks!

Somewhere there also is the sensor for the autodimming mirrors as well.

robg 01-02-2011 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whatevrworks (Post 326914)
Somewhere there also is the sensor for the autodimming mirrors as well.

I think that sensor is on the face of the rearview mirror. You'll notice a small sensor in the upper-center portion of the mirror. The sensor for autodimming needs to "look" behind the vehicle.

Jeeters 01-02-2011 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robg (Post 326974)
I think that sensor is on the face of the rearview mirror. You'll notice a small sensor in the upper-center portion of the mirror. The sensor for autodimming needs to "look" behind the vehicle.

On don't have a WK2, but on my Liberty, the autodimming lens is on the rear side of the mirror facing towards the front of the vehicle. It only senses the level of light outside and dims based on how dark it it thinks it is outside. It doesn't adjust for headlights and whatnot behind the vehicle.

Technosavant 01-02-2011 04:32 PM

It's a sensor for the automatic high beams and probably also handles the duties for the automatic wipers.

jeep2011 01-03-2011 09:09 AM

It is actually a camera not a sensor

robg 01-03-2011 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeep2011 (Post 327370)
It is actually a camera not a sensor

Digital camera? Isn't that a sensor (that happens to be able to create an image based on the light that hits the CMOS sensor).

Technosavant 01-03-2011 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robg (Post 327440)
Digital camera? Isn't that a sensor (that happens to be able to create an image based on the light that hits the CMOS sensor).

Nope, there's little elves in there that take film pictures, check for rain or darkness, and adjust the wipers and headlights accordingly. :D:p

plynn7 01-03-2011 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Technosavant (Post 327454)
Nope, there's little elves in there that take film pictures, check for rain or darkness, and adjust the wipers and headlights accordingly. :D:p

Dam I was lied to, my dealer told me they were Pixies!:D