Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Tire Damaged (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/tire-damaged-16966.html)

plynn7 01-02-2011 08:06 PM

Tire Damaged

It seems late last night I ran over a glass bottle and it slashed right thru one of the treads on my back tire. It looks like the slash is about an inch long, but I am not sure if the puncture is as wide as the slash itself or the slash is just on the surface of the tread and the puncture is smaller as I had picked out several pieces of broken glass. If the tire can not be fixed do you think warrenty would cover it as it is only two months old. If not how much is a new tire gonna cost me? I have the 20's on an Overland.:(

Technosavant 01-02-2011 08:10 PM

Re: Tire Damaged

The tire warranty usually won't cover road hazards. Unfortunately, that's also way too wide to patch.

I'm not sure how much that thing will run you locally, but the price at the Tire Rack actually isn't too bad- $141.

Red G8R 01-02-2011 08:10 PM

Wow.....sorry to hear that. I can't answer your question but I'm interested in the answer. Was it the TPMS that notified you?

Red G8R 01-02-2011 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Technosavant (Post 327156)
The tire warranty usually won't cover road hazards. Unfortunately, that's also way too wide to patch.

I'm not sure how much that thing will run you locally, but the price at the Tire Rack actually isn't too bad- $141.

That's much cheaper than I thought. :eek:

plynn7 01-02-2011 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red G8R (Post 327157)
Wow.....sorry to hear that. I can't answer your question but I'm interested in the answer. Was it the TPMS that notified you?

I had parked it for about fifteen minutes and when I return I noticed the tire was completly flat before I got in, so right away I begain to put on the spare. I never started the Jeep so I don't know if the TPMS would have showed, however after ten minutes driving on the spare the TPMS warning light came on, I guess the spare does not have the TPMS in it so the system was indicting no pressure from the tire.

GlowingGhoul 01-02-2011 08:37 PM

Glad I added this 4 year/60k for $180 to my lifetime warranty.

No way can I go 4 years without wrecking a tire or 3 :)

Customer Convenience Upgrade

• 100% Flat Tire Repair Coverage
  • Complete or Prorated Tire Replacement (Protection on the vehicles original four (4) tires, up to $200 per tire)
  • Auto Valet Concierge Service
  • $35/First Day Rental for Repair or Maintenance
  • $1,000 Trip Interruption Protection

plynn7 01-02-2011 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Technosavant (Post 327156)

Thanks for the info. I just checked them out online. Do they only ship or do they have retail shops?

Scottina06 01-02-2011 08:54 PM

same thing just happened to my brand new rear Nitto tire bro today! I just had them put on Saturday! Now discounttire says they are back ordered 90 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Technosavant 01-02-2011 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plynn7 (Post 327180)
Thanks for the info. I just checked them out online. Do they only ship or do they have retail shops?

They have retail shops, but only something like 4 of them.

I've found that usually local tire prices tend to be in line with the Tire Rack after you factor in shipping and mounting; if TR has them for $141, I'd expect to see $200-225 local prices (more likely to the lower end of that scale).

And even at $200, that's half of what I expected it to be.

WABCLawyers 01-02-2011 10:07 PM

Anyone know if the Customer Conveniene Package cited above is avialable in Canada? Never seen it offered. Tx.

plynn7 01-02-2011 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Technosavant (Post 327188)
They have retail shops, but only something like 4 of them.

I've found that usually local tire prices tend to be in line with the Tire Rack after you factor in shipping and mounting; if TR has them for $141, I'd expect to see $200-225 local prices (more likely to the lower end of that scale).

And even at $200, that's half of what I expected it to be.

Thanks for the info, I was cursing up a storm lastnight, thinking this tire was cost in the $400-$500 range so to find out it will be under $200 it is a big relief. I was able to find the tire at a local Goodyear Auto Service Center for $176 including install. So I think this might be my best bet for price and I don't have to wait for the tire to ship I can have it done tomorrow, that spare really makes the Jeep look horrible can't wait to get it off.:o

Red G8R 01-03-2011 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plynn7 (Post 327222)
Thanks for the info, I was cursing up a storm lastnight, thinking this tire was cost in the $400-$500 range so to find out it will be under $200 it is a big relief. I was able to find the tire at a local Goodyear Auto Service Center for $176 including install. So I think this might be my best bet for price and I don't have to wait for the tire to ship I can have it done tomorrow, that spare really makes the Jeep look horrible can't wait to get it off.:o

That's a good find....glad all is being resolved.