Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Off Road Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f42/)
-   -   need help with a lift... (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f42/need-help-with-a-lift-17010.html)

jdcollins86 01-03-2011 09:05 PM

need help with a lift...

im debating about lifting my jeep or keep it stock.... i do alot of hunting and fishing here in alaska and some times in remote places. i was thinking about putting 31s or 33s on it. whats the best lift with out breaking the bank...
thanks

2005JGC 01-03-2011 09:46 PM

Re: need help with a lift...

if you take your jeep hunting... you should be glad you didnt get an srt8 ;)

I think the consensus is the OME 2" lift is the best quality in the 2 inch catigory. comes with longer travel shocks and struts, and suspension lift froms springs, I believe it has been decided you could comefortably fit a 32" tire under that.

bigger is the 4in superlift, for 2k plus a much more in depth install.

jdcollins86 01-03-2011 10:02 PM

yeah i just want the power of the 6.1.... i still do... i was looking around and the 4in is out of the question....

WK Drew 01-06-2011 10:54 AM

One of the better and cheaper options is the Rough country 2" spacer lift. It runs $149.00 plus tax/shipping. Other gave calls and got deals from them too. I put this on my jeep and it rides like stock and gives a great look. You can fit 265/70 tires (31.8") under it. You would need spacers or new wheels to avoid hitting the top A-arm bolt or some people trim that down.

jdcollins86 01-07-2011 12:54 AM

I know rough country is a good company that makes good products but I'm under the misconception that spacers tend to squeak and I would have to get new shocks... By breaking the bank I mean under 900$. I want something that I'll still have a ride and that I can get some articulation out of

kevin06vino 01-07-2011 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdcollins86 (Post 329828)
I know rough country is a good company that makes good products but I'm under the misconception that spacers tend to squeak and I would have to get new shocks... By breaking the bank I mean under 900$. I want something that I'll still have a ride and that I can get some articulation out of

You can get an OME kit from Nick (Kolak) for about $750 + shipping
kolak@aol.com Pretty popular guy on jeepsunlimited

I priced one out from him about a month ago and am waiting until I get my taxes calculated to see what kind of $$$ I have hanging around before I order mine.

Don't forget to budget for tires, I plan on doing it all at the same time - 255/75R17's, OME and upper control arms (already bought) - also hoping my predator can adjust for tire size (will be here tomorrow to test)

Good luck on your search

jdcollins86 01-07-2011 10:13 PM

Do I need new upper control arms really???? Tax return is going to do me well this year with a new kid and all...I'm just going to go with a OME lift, spacers and tires.. Do I need anything else to help keep the ride smooth??

nikates 01-08-2011 12:34 PM

I just put the day star on my 06 and love it. I have no squeaking and used the stock rear shocks. It took me about 2hrs on install just using Jack stands.

kevin06vino 01-09-2011 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdcollins86 (Post 330310)
Do I need new upper control arms really???? Tax return is going to do me well this year with a new kid and all...I'm just going to go with a OME lift, spacers and tires.. Do I need anything else to help keep the ride smooth??

You don't need upper control arms, however I bought a set because they have replaceable ball joints and help correct camber issues for a minor suspension lift. I also have a phantom pop when pulling into driveways the new swaybar links didn't correct, so I'm hoping I have a bit of play in my old ball joint. Everything seems tight, but I still have a noise.

With everything you have listed, you should be good to go. I had my jeep in for service Saturday and was excited to roll a 255/75R17 along side my WK. I'm getting anxious for more elevation :thumbsup: