Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   OnStar to Be Available for GC Shortly (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/onstar-to-be-available-for-gc-shortly-17057.html)

Lingohocken 01-05-2011 09:30 AM

OnStar to Be Available for GC Shortly

http://detnews.com/article/20110105/...cles-in-spring

OnStar is being made available at Best Buy and other stores for selected new non-GM vehicles, including the GC. At $299, it will be packaged inside a replacement inside mirror.

Apparently some important features will be AWOL, at least in v1.0. Sounds like it could be too little, too late, but who knows.

jonesark 01-05-2011 10:21 AM

Re: OnStar to Be Available for GC Shortly

Nice...I would consider that!

Knightrider03m 01-05-2011 06:46 PM

I bet my Jeep wouldn't be able to get that :(

Repo503 01-06-2011 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knightrider03m (Post 329006)
I bet my Jeep wouldn't be able to get that :(

It probably will work just fine. Its just an aftermarket review mirror. They say it should fit 99% of cars just fine. $18.95 a month seems a little steep though...I guess if you had medical problems or tended to fall asleep at the wheel it might be a good investment.

the1jake 01-06-2011 12:30 PM

I don't miss it... at all. My past three vehicles all had OnStar. (first year was always free)

It was sort of cool that my vehicles had their own phone number, but the UConnect works just fine and saves me an additional $9.99 (plus taxes) per month since I no longer have the phone number. (I used the family plan through Verizon Wireless and added the number instead of paying for minutes through OnStar)

One other feature was the ability to map out your route online and send it to the vehicle. But, for as much as I used OnStar throughout the years, it wasn't worth it. I had to call 911 (or OnStar's equivalent) recently. It was not only useless, but delayed the response from emergency personnel. (honestly, it's not that much better with a cell phone) I witnessed a truck overturn and had to make sure the guys inside were OK. (they were a big banged up and bloody, but fine) First, I used OnStar and played 20 questions with the Onstar rep only to be transferred and give the same information again. I finally got so frustrated with playing games with the people on the other line, that I simply exited the vehicle and told them to repeat the information themselves to the local dispatcher. (they knew *exactly* where I was since OnStar can locate you) Perhaps if you're in the middle of nowhere without cell phone coverage. (Onstar will always get a signal unless the weather is extremely bad) When seconds count, IMHO, using OnStar may not be the best solution.

Since I transferred vehicles, I haven't had one complaint or anyone notice the difference when talking hands-free. (I'm using a first generation droid with no issues in compatibility)

jmpdev2020 01-06-2011 03:50 PM

I've had On-Star before as well. Biggest advantage was being able to unlock your doors when you locked your keys in the car. Never used it to call anyone since I already had two cell phones and didn't need a third number. Never used if for nav, bought a Garmin Nuvi, and never used it for emergency dialing, used my cell. I agree with the1jake above. Although I do think that automatically dialing EMS upon a crash can be life saving.

Saw that commercial a few days ago though where the On-Star Iphone/Droid app can start or kill your ignition from anywhere in the country. Pretty cool.

the1jake 01-06-2011 03:56 PM

I agree with jmpdev2020 that in extreme situations, it could possibly be lifesaving. (when the airbags are deployed they'll contact you immediately) No airbags deployed for some reason? Out of luck.

Repo503 01-06-2011 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the1jake (Post 329551)
I agree with jmpdev2020 that in extreme situations, it could possibly be lifesaving. (when the airbags are deployed they'll contact you immediately) No airbags deployed for some reason? Out of luck.

I imagine this mirror kit will use an accelerometer so you don't have some kid at bestbuy trying to wire it up to your airbag sensors.

Cperez 01-06-2011 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the1jake (Post 329436)
First, I used OnStar and played 20 questions with the Onstar rep only to be transferred and give the same information again. I finally got so frustrated with playing games with the people on the other line, that I simply exited the vehicle and told them to repeat the information themselves to the local dispatcher.

Don't you get what was happening? In the industry it's referred to as a "take". They were just trying to make sure they got the perfect clip for the next radio commercial.

KarlG 01-06-2011 06:51 PM

meh

robpp 01-06-2011 06:54 PM

and verizon will have the iPhone in January......just didnt say WHICH January......

Knightrider03m 01-07-2011 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robpp (Post 329654)
and verizon will have the iPhone in January......just didnt say WHICH January......

Now they are saying that its going to happen "sometime" in the 2Q :sleepy: