Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Visual Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f7/)
-   -   Fogs enabled with Highs and DRLs disabled (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f7/fogs-enabled-with-highs-and-drls-disabled-17084.html)

t-pain 01-05-2011 05:46 PM

Fogs enabled with Highs and DRLs disabled

Just got 1 of the techs I met at my local dealer to enable my Fogs with Highs and to disable my DRLs. Since I'm in Canada he had to change vehicle country code to USA and then disable the DRLs, he just left my beast's country code as USA.

Now my next step is to install some HIDs into the Highs.

White Chocolate 01-06-2011 01:52 PM

Re: Fogs enabled with Highs and DRLs disabled

Woahhhhhhh you need to hook a BROTHER UP!! fellow prairielander!!

2005JGC 01-07-2011 05:38 AM

I just did this tonight... maybe someone could enlighten me as to why it makes any sense to turn them off with the highs... if you need the highs why take away any light output? It seems like a legal thing, but still doesnt make sense.

Anyway, I dig it so far, it was foggy as hell in the neighborhood (only place i was away from other cars to actually use them tonight) its pretty nice. I will say not having done it before it took me a minute to figure out how to do it as there is no "fog lamp disable with high beam" function to change.

Frankie 01-07-2011 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2005JGC (Post 329866)
I just did this tonight... maybe someone could enlighten me as to why it makes any sense to turn them off with the highs... if you need the highs why take away any light output? It seems like a legal thing, but still doesnt make sense.

Anyway, I dig it so far, it was foggy as hell in the neighborhood (only place i was away from other cars to actually use them tonight) its pretty nice. I will say not having done it before it took me a minute to figure out how to do it as there is no "fog lamp disable with high beam" function to change.

It is illegal! LOL

Ive had mine like this for years now with no probs though!

White Chocolate 01-07-2011 09:33 AM

How do you do it Frankie? PM me

2005JGC 01-07-2011 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxSTUGOTSxox (Post 329882)
It is illegal! LOL

I understand that, I did mention "legal thing"... but all I was getting at is it doesnt make sense.

I think I just answered my own question while I attempted to guess the reason. I would assume that because your not supposed to use your highs in fog as it makes you blinder, by disabling the fogs would encourage low beam use in fog for the girls that think the more light the better...

To the best of my knowledge you MUST use a chrysler scantool without rewiring things.

paulie9 01-07-2011 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by t-pain (Post 328967)
Just got 1 of the techs I met at my local dealer to enable my Fogs with Highs and to disable my DRLs. Since I'm in Canada he had to change vehicle country code to USA and then disable the DRLs, he just left my beast's country code as USA.

Now my next step is to install some HIDs into the Highs.

Which dealer did you take it too? This is something that bothers me a little bit?

If you are looking at getting HIDS I may have a friend that can hook you up :thumbsup:

Frankie 01-07-2011 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by White Chocolate (Post 329929)
How do you do it Frankie? PM me

My buddy owns a Dodge dealership! ;)

Frankie 01-07-2011 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2005JGC (Post 330138)
I understand that, I did mention "legal thing"... but all I was getting at is it doesnt make sense.

I think I just answered my own question while I attempted to guess the reason. I would assume that because your not supposed to use your highs in fog as it makes you blinder, by disabling the fogs would encourage low beam use in fog for the girls that think the more light the better...

Yeah, I know! I was just emphasizing it! LOL

They are designed for opposite things like you said! Plus states have laws on how many forward projecting lights a car can have...Most are 4!

t-pain 01-07-2011 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulie9 (Post 330164)
Which dealer did you take it too? This is something that bothers me a little bit?

If you are looking at getting HIDS I may have a friend that can hook you up :thumbsup:

I took it to a Jeep dealership. Why would it bother you at all?

As for the HIDs, I just bought them from one of the site sponsors. They support the board, so I figure I'd support by buying from them.

t-pain 01-07-2011 09:49 PM

As for why I did the change because I wanted HIDs without extra BS, I didn't want to be one of those pricks who blind people with HID DRLs in halogen enclosures lol and it just looks cool ha ha. I just turn on my Fogs for DRLs now. I'm not that lazy not to turn the switch, just to do soldering ha ha.

paulie9 01-07-2011 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by t-pain (Post 330283)
I took it to a Jeep dealership. Why would it bother you at all?

As for the HIDs, I just bought them from one of the site sponsors. They support the board, so I figure I'd support by buying from them.

I didn't mean to say taking the Jeep to the dealership bothers me, meant it as it bothers me that you flip on the highs and the fogs turn off :D