Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Another cost cutting measure (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/another-cost-cutting-measure-17123.html)

parker 01-06-2011 02:19 PM

Another cost cutting measure

While working under my JGC today I noticed that the Hemi in these units is equiped with a synthetic and /or plastic oil pan.

This must be a cost cutting measure as the Hemi in my Charger Daytona uses an aluminum pan.

xmonger 01-06-2011 02:48 PM

Re: Another cost cutting measure

:eek:

Chryco probably thinks you are more likely to take the Charger off road.

bpmcgee 01-06-2011 02:51 PM

It's possible that the plastic pan is actually harder to crack. Perhaps they expect that it will flex a bit with a small hit, versus crack like an aluminum one would?

Technosavant 01-06-2011 03:42 PM

Could also be weight related. Every pound they get off of the vehicle is a pound they don't have to spend the fuel to move. Besides, if you're whacking things off the oil pan the thing isn't going to be long lived anyway. That's why the Jeep can be had with skid plates- to keep things from hitting the oil pan.

I'd expect it was probably a running change in engine production more than anything else.

xmonger 01-06-2011 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bpmcgee (Post 329517)
It's possible that the plastic pan is actually harder to crack. Perhaps they expect that it will flex a bit with a small hit, versus crack like an aluminum one would?

Hmmm. I would think the opposite to be true. Aluminum will take a hit, bend and get you home from the trail. But as Techno mentioned, skids can be had.

parker 01-06-2011 03:48 PM

Yes, I know skid plates are the answer. That's why I ordered them and installed them myself. I truly don't foresee anything contacting "my" oilpan. I just thought it odd for the change, probably for the wieght savings as mentioned earlier.

the1jake 01-06-2011 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parker (Post 329544)
Yes I know skid plates are the answer. That's why I ordered them and installed them myself. I truly don't foresee anything contacting "my" oilpan. I just thought it odd for the change, probably for the wieght savings as mentioned earlier.

How long did it take you to install the skidplates? Just curious.

xmonger 01-06-2011 08:33 PM

Is the tranny pan plastic as well?

That's a lot more likely to take a hit.

Bmwister 01-06-2011 10:46 PM

Plastic oil pans aren't so bad. In fact, because oil pans actually added structural rigidity to high performance V8 engines in the past the fact that the 2011 Hemi has a plastic one is a compliment to the Hemi's robust block design. I like what I see in the new design after reading about it (see blue text below).

The following excerpt is from this link: Design News Article

Category Finalist: Thermoplastic Oil Pan Module
OEM and Model: Chrysler Group LLC 2010 model year 5.7L V8 Hemi Engine

Tier Supplier/Processor: MAHLE North America

Material Supplier/Toolmaker: BASF Corp./Integrity Tool and Mold Inc.

Material: Impact-Modified, 35 percent GR-PA 6

Process: Injection Molding

Description: A next-generation, all-plastic oil-pan module is specifically designed for this trail-rated vehicle to be able to channel oil up hill on a 60 percent grade. New levels of parts integration have incorporated the pan's windage tray with cam scraper function, oil pickup tube, seal, fasteners and oil plug in an injection-molded assembly that is joined via vibration and infra-stake welding. The 35 percent glass-reinforced PA 6 base material was optimized for stone impact and retention of mechanicals when exposed to hot oil, cold temperatures, and road salts. Replacing stamped steel, quiet steel, and cast aluminum, the all-plastic oil pan reduces weight 41 percent, saves 50 percent on tooling costs, and eliminates 4 assembly operations.

MeanDean 01-06-2011 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xmonger (Post 329541)
Hmmm. I would think the opposite to be true. Aluminum will take a hit, bend and get you home from the trail. But as Techno mentioned, skids can be had.

I agree that skid plates are the answer. I've never seen solid aluminum 'bend' much, it usuall cracks or just breaks. Aluminum isn't very pliable.

bpmcgee 01-07-2011 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeanDean (Post 329798)
I agree that skid plates are the answer. I've never seen solid aluminum 'bend' much, it usuall cracks or just breaks. Aluminum isn't very pliable.

Exactly what I was saying, Dean. Especially cast aluminum.

parker 01-07-2011 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xmonger (Post 329714)
Is the tranny pan plastic as well?

That's a lot more likely to take a hit.

No the trans pan is stamped steel, as in years gone by.