Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Could I have made a mistake? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/could-i-have-made-a-mistake-17139.html)

Curly 01-06-2011 09:13 PM

Could I have made a mistake?

It starts snowing before lunch time and is still snowing right now. When Iím ready to leave work around 5:20 I remote start the Overland. After 15 minutes I go out and itís all warmed up, the seat is warm, the steering wheel is warm, the rear defroster has done its job and all is good with the world. That is until I drive about three miles in snow mode. I get this warning that I need ďimmediate air suspension serviceĒ and all of the sudden the Jeep starts to ride like it has no suspension whatsoever. Itís bouncing over the smallest bumps in the road like they are foot deep pot holes. The select terrain system and the air suspension have died. When you try to change the setting you get the message ďservice air suspension systemĒ (not surprising) and nothing happens. The ride is so rough I think the Jeep is going to bounce itself into pieces. Iím driving in a pretty bad snow storm so Iím not stopping no matter what the dash says. I know I should stop but Iím more than a little pissed, after all this is a brand new car. On top of the suspension going dead the automatic wipers are also going crazy. The snow and any spray from cars was pretty constant but the wipers are cycling from full speed to normal to almost never wiping (Iíd have to hit the switch to get them going again) and repeating this over and over. After driving for about three or four miles like this, everything went back to normal. The suspension started working just as it has for the past three weeks and after a while the wipers went back to working as they should. I donít think the two things are related they just happened around the same time. I would hope there is a code stored for what happened to the air suspension but doubt there is anything on the wipers so good luck getting that sorted out. So Iím wondering ďCould I have made a mistakeĒ in buying this car?

Cperez 01-06-2011 09:19 PM

Re: Could I have made a mistake?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curly (Post 329729)
I would hope there is a code stored for what happened to the air suspension but doubt there is anything on the wipers so good luck getting that sorted out. So Iím wondering ďCould I have made a mistakeĒ in buying this car?

Maybe it's pissed that you debadged it.

Seriously, please report in with whatever findings come from the dealer (assuming you're taking it in or at least calling them). As part of a rain-sensing system, the wiper behavior may have actually thrown a code. Glad you made it home ok.

MSCA 01-06-2011 09:22 PM

Sound like some kind of weird electrical glitch.

On the other hand, more than a few people mentioned that the air suspension could be problematic. I'm NOT saying that's the case....because most people haven't reported any problems with it, but I'm sure that doesn't make you feel any better right now.

Curly 01-06-2011 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cperez (Post 329730)
Maybe it's pissed that you debadged it.

That's what I was thinking.

I probably won't get it to the dealer until next week (I have a full day at work tomorrow), hope it has no other problems until then. Iíll report back then.

Bmwister 01-06-2011 10:52 PM

Curly, check all your fuses to ensure they're all snugly in place. I believe the transfer case, QL and the wipers have a common fuse that is not listed as such on the fuse table, but I recall someone talking (not on a forum, literally speaking I mean) about their QL at a party New Years Eve and how they simultaneously had a wiper problem too when they got a warning like you did. All I remember was their fuse cover was open & damp and that was the fix. It's worth a look anyway, right?

MeanDean 01-06-2011 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curly (Post 329729)
So I’m wondering “Could I have made a mistake” in buying this car?

IMO, it's probably a glitch that can be easily fixed. Honestly, this could be a problem that a $60K BMW or Mercedes that could experience. Why are you so eager to blame the Jeep before even giving your service department a chance to fix the problem? I would understand (a little) if this was a recurring problem or if there were others that had the same problem that went unresolved, but this doesn't seem to be the case. You are experiencing an isolated incident and you need to take your Jeep to the dealer.

If you just wanted to vent, well, that's fine. But did you make a mistake buying the GC? I don't think so.

Let us all know how it goes after you take your car to the dealer. Until then, I don't think it's fair to bash what I think is a very fine vehicle.

BTW, mine is perfect and I wouldn't trade it for a X5, ML350, LR4, Q7, et al.

Curly 01-07-2011 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bmwister (Post 329774)
Curly, check all your fuses to ensure they're all snugly in place. I believe the transfer case, QL and the wipers have a common fuse that is not listed as such on the fuse table, but I recall someone talking (not on a forum, literally speaking I mean) about their QL at a party New Years Eve and how they simultaneously had a wiper problem too when they got a warning like you did. All I remember was their fuse cover was open & damp and that was the fix. It's worth a look anyway, right?

Thanks for the tip Bmwister, I'll check this out. That's whats great about this forum, more real information than you could find anyplace else.

Curly 01-07-2011 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeanDean (Post 329794)
IMO, it's probably a glitch that can be easily fixed. Honestly, this could be a problem that a $60K BMW or Mercedes that could experience. Why are you so eager to blame the Jeep before even giving your service department a chance to fix the problem? I would understand (a little) if this was a recurring problem or if there were others that had the same problem that went unresolved, but this doesn't seem to be the case. You are experiencing an isolated incident and you need to take your Jeep to the dealer.

If you just wanted to vent, well, that's fine. But did you make a mistake buying the GC? I don't think so.

Let us all know how it goes after you take your car to the dealer. Until then, I don't think it's fair to bash what I think is a very fine vehicle.

BTW, mine is perfect and I wouldn't trade it for a X5, ML350, LR4, Q7, et al.

I hear you MeanDean, I too love the Grand Cherokee. I am doing some venting, but at the same time I'm not going to say itís ok to have what I would say is a major problem with a major system in a three week old car even if it is isolated. I hope it's something simple that I will never have to think about again. I wouldn't trade the Grand for any of the rides you listed, after-all; I could have bought any of them in the first place but chose the Grand.

OneCent 01-07-2011 03:09 AM

Hmm, i dont like it when things only sometimes work. They should work or break. It gives me a bad feeling when things like you had happens.

I hope the error codes are in the memory and that the dealer can fix the problem.

Knightrider03m 01-07-2011 03:46 AM

Did you have 4WD when all of this was going on?

MSCA 01-07-2011 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneCent (Post 329846)
Hmm, i dont like it when things only sometimes work. They should work or break. It gives me a bad feeling when things like you had happens.

That's why electrical glitches are such a pain in the ass....sometimes things work fine and other times things go wacky. Mechanical issues are so much easier because those problems don't usually come and go. Something is either broken or it's not.

The good news is that a mechanic who specializes in electrical systems can usually find electrical gremlins wherever they're hiding.

rdalcanto 01-07-2011 08:49 AM

Did you open the door and look at your ride height when it was riding so rough? Was it all the way down? I know that you said it eventually fixed itself, but did you try re-starting the car to see if that would fix it?