Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Key Fob and Oil Change Question (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/key-fob-and-oil-change-question-17151.html)

Thome 01-07-2011 10:18 AM

Key Fob and Oil Change Question

First off, this is a great forum which I visit on a daily basis. Everyone here is so friendly and helpful (unlike the real world). Anyway, I had two issues this week and I was wondering if anyone else experienced the same things.
1. I tried to remote start my car earlier this week from my office window and nothing happened. I tried hitting the lock button to see if the lights would flash and nothing. I get to the car and it won't unlock using the key's proximity sensor. I use the key in the fob to open the car. When I try to start it using the button, the alarm starts to go off and the EVIC tells me that the key has an error. It took me about 5 minutes to figure out how to pop the start button off the dash and insert the key fob (while the alarm is blaring). The car started fine, alarm off and I drove it home. When I got home I tried the spare key and it worked fine. The next day, I tried the key that didn't work the day before and it is fine? I have had no problems since. Odd.
2. I had jeep change my oil at 1k after reading the advice of other forum members. I'm now at 3.8k and the oil change light is on? Do I need another oil change or did jeep not reset the sensor after the first change?
Thanks for any advice...

SRTILL8 01-07-2011 10:33 AM

Re: Key Fob and Oil Change Question

key fob- i dunno but resetting the oil is:

turn the ignition switch to the "on" but dont start her up though...

pump the gas pedal slowly three times within a 10 seconds or so

turn the ignition to the "off"

would turn it off, just remember what your mileage is for the next time to accurately track your oil changes.

gl yo

Cperez 01-07-2011 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SRTILLA (Post 329959)
resetting the oil is:

turn the ignition switch to the "on" but dont start her up though...

pump the gas pedal slowly three times within a 10 seconds or so

turn the ignition to the "off"

would turn it off, just remember what your mileage is for the next time to accurately track your oil changes.

YGBSM. Pumping the gas pedal three times is required to reset the service interval counter in a cockpit full of buttons and touchscreen interface?? I stand to be corrected but have to register some friendly skepticism on this one.

azzolij 01-07-2011 12:44 PM

As silly as it sounds given all the technology that is the process.

I guess there wasn't any place in the EVIC to implement this....

Cperez 01-07-2011 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azzolij (Post 330014)
As silly as it sounds given all the technology that is the process.

I guess there wasn't any place in the EVIC to implement this....

LMAO and my apologies for doubting!! I just looked it up in my iPhone app and color me flabbergasted. Wow.

I will just leave this bit out when I'm extolling the technical marvels of the WK2 to friends and family. :confused:

Or maybe it's a paean to the legacy of Jeeps From Years Gone By.

Red G8R 01-07-2011 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cperez (Post 330004)
YGBSM. Pumping the gas pedal three times is required to reset the service interval counter in a cockpit full of buttons and touchscreen interface?? I stand to be corrected but have to register some friendly skepticism on this one.

I can vouch for that too. I just had my first oil service last week but they forgot to reset the interval and the warning light was still on. I watched him reset it and sure enough, he turned the key to just before start and pumped the gas pedal 3 times...that solved it.
He did it keyless first which did not work but it did with the key inserted.

JoeSchmoe007 01-07-2011 01:18 PM

This is beyond ridiculous - it's not like you can run out of menu items in EVIC.

bpmcgee 01-07-2011 01:22 PM

They probably did this so that the oil-monkey didn't have to learn a new method of resetting idiot lights.

The three-push pedal method is about ubiquitous enough to be a standard these days.