Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/)
-   -   Sirius Radio (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/sirius-radio-17183.html)

Garbism 01-08-2011 07:39 AM

Sirius Radio

I have seen some posts from others that are experiencing same issue I am but I can't find how to resolve.

I just got a JGC and the Sirius Radio cuts out everytime I go under a tree or overpass. I have had satellite radio, XM and Sirius, in the past and always had some of this but not as frequently and not caused from such small/short "blocks".

Someone posted that the update will help but what update and where can I get it?

Thanks!!!

CaptPat 01-08-2011 08:50 AM

Re: Sirius Radio

I'm finding that the SIRIUS radio performance with respect to cut outs, etc in the JGC is about the same that I've experienced in my other vehicles.

Technosavant 01-08-2011 12:22 PM

That's normal, it isn't a glitch. I've used XM and Sirius, and XM seems to have fewer dropouts. Sirius tends to get blanked from smaller obstacles.

Just the nature of the technology.

JoeSchmoe007 01-08-2011 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garbism (Post 330422)
I just got a JGC and the Sirius Radio cuts out everytime I go under a tree or overpass....

I've never had satellite radio before but I experience the same thing in my 430N. I don't consider this to be a problem.

justin1569 01-08-2011 03:45 PM

You are hilarious...cuts out when you're under a tree or overpass. Do you know what Sirius is? Satellite radio bud...It needs line of site from the sky. It sometimes cuts out when there's a thick deck of clouds/rain too...and it cuts out when you pull into an underground parkade because the line of site from space to the vehicle got cut.

It's perfectly normal...the JGC antenna/receiver is probably really sensitive and has no buffer in terms of preloading the material for a few seconds when a signal is acquired. When the signal is lost, the buffered material should still play until it runs out, but by then the signal is probably newly acquired.

Cheers

Garbism 01-08-2011 03:59 PM

Thanks for the "education". As I mentioned, had other rides with satellite radio. All have cut out some but I find jeep to cut out an unusual amount of times.

PMD G8 01-08-2011 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garbism (Post 330588)
Thanks for the "education". As I mentioned, had other rides with satellite radio. All have cut out some but I find jeep to cut out an unusual amount of times.

Experienced the same thing you are talkign about when I took one for a test drive. Could not believe how many times it cut out. I had many differnt models of sat radios for over 7 years, both Sirius and XM, and not one of them cut out as often as the Jeeps Sat radio did in the short test drive that I took. It is a problem, maybe not everyone is experiencing it though.

Juanvaldz 01-08-2011 07:51 PM

I've had XM for years and Sirius for a little over a year with my 2005 JGC.
XM has a FAR greater number of tersterial repeaters. So when you turn on your Satelite Radio, more often than not, in urban areas, you are getting signal from a building mounted transmitter, and not Sat. There are many pages out there referencing the locations of the repeaters.
Just Google it

rdalcanto 01-08-2011 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juanvaldz (Post 330691)
I've had XM for years and Sirius for a little over a year with my 2005 JGC.
XM has a FAR greater number of tersterial repeaters. So when you turn on your Satelite Radio, more often than not, in urban areas, you are getting signal from a building mounted transmitter, and not Sat. There are many pages out there referencing the locations of the repeaters.
Just Google it

That explains it I guess. I'm noticing the same thing on my rental. XM radio in my wifes Suburban NEVER cuts out unless we go into a parking structure. I've been doing the identical drives in the WK2, and Sirius drops out a couple times per drive. Kind of annoying....:(

Frank TJ 01-08-2011 09:32 PM

My XM in my truck seems to operate on a delay...I can pull under an overpass and sit thru a light cycle, after about 30 seconds of being under the overpass the music cuts out until I get back into open sky... Only place I have noticed cut out...

cwalsh 08-02-2013 09:19 PM

I have a Jeep Wrangler, 1997 soft-top and had a similar problem, audio would cut out and no reason why... radio display would just go blank. I had the installer change the location of the satellite antenna receiver. they put it on top of the roll bar knob... (the screw knob) located just above the head of the driver. They used double-sided adhesive tape and with the slight pressure of the soft top pressing the top of the antenna, it worked like a charm. Have not had the problem again and the location of the antenna is actually hidden from public view... a great "plus"!

StaticFX 08-02-2013 10:30 PM

ive never had it drop out as easy as on this radio (even with the update).. its like its not buffering at ALL... On the way to my local lowes.. there is a stretch with trees to my right.. cuts out.

Only time i have EVER had sat radio cut out was in PA in the mountains. Never this easy. its terrible