Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   I FEEL SICK....tell me there is an easy/cheap fix (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/i-feel-sick-tell-me-there-is-an-easy-cheap-fix-17211.html)

Garbism 01-08-2011 09:49 PM

I FEEL SICK....tell me there is an easy/cheap fix

2 Attachment(s)
Got back to my new JGC Limited that was parked in a lot and found that someone, of course no car was there anymore, had hit my bumper. Luckily only two small dents on the chrome trim.
Attached pics are not from my JGC but wanted to show the chrome trim i am speaking of.

Anyone know if this piece can easily be replaced?

Had the ride for a week.....i feel so violated! (kidding but i do feel sick!)

mjw930 01-08-2011 09:54 PM

Re: I FEEL SICK....tell me there is an easy/cheap fix

If it's like most they are simply held down with pressure sensitive tape so it should be as easy as prying off the old piece, cleaning the residue and installing the new one.

ostroveni 01-08-2011 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garbism (Post 330752)
Got back to my new JGC Limited that was parked in a lot and found that someone, of course no car was there anymore, had hit my bumper. Luckily only two small dents on the chrome trim.
Attached pics are not from my JGC but wanted to show the chrome trim i am speaking of.

Anyone know if this piece can easily be replaced?

Had the ride for a week.....i feel so violated! (kidding but i do feel sick!)

Why do you need to replace? Go to a jeep delaer which has a body shop. He will tell you if some sanding and paint is going to be enough or you need to replace anything ... Had a similar issue. I was stopped at traffic light a few years back and a lady smashed in the back of my car, it felt pretty violent, however the result (you can read her plate number in my bumper) was only fixed by a small paint job and it was round 400$ (lady paid outside insurance). If you replace anything that requires body work then you are talking thousands .... however replacing just the chrome thing might be cheaper ...

Garbism 01-08-2011 10:08 PM

it is just the little chrome trim that got damaged, not the bumper.

mjw930 01-08-2011 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ostroveni (Post 330765)
Why do you need to replace? Go to a jeep delaer which has a body shop. He will tell you if some sanding and paint is going to be enough or you need to replace anything ... Had a similar issue. I was stopped at traffic light a few years back and a lady smashed in the back of my car, it was pretty violent, however the result (you can read her plate number in my bumper) was only fixed by a small paint job and it was round 400$ (lady paid outside insurance). If you replace anything you are talking thousands ....

I think he's just talking about the chrome top strip, that should be around $100 to replace, you can't sand and paint out a dent in chrome trim.

Radside 01-08-2011 10:08 PM

The replacement is $180.00 on the MOPAR parts website.

Garbism 01-08-2011 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radside (Post 330768)
The replacement is $180.00 on the MOPAR parts website.

Appreciate you pointing me to the site...I found it there. I searched Google and that was the only place I show has it.

You think it is an easy removal of old and install of new?

mjw930 01-08-2011 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garbism (Post 330788)
Appreciate you pointing me to the site...I found it there. I searched Google and that was the only place I show has it.

It should be easy but you'll know when the new part come in by looking at it. My guess is it's 2 sided, pressure sensitive tape which = easy. It also looks like the top pad and the lower chrome are 2 parts and you might have to purchase both since it's unlikely you can separate the two now that the adhesive is set.

Radside 01-08-2011 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjw930 (Post 330790)
It should be easy but you'll know when the new part come in by looking at it. My guess is it's 2 sided, pressure sensitive tape which = easy. It also looks like the top pad and the lower chrome are 2 parts and you might have to purchase both since it's unlikely you can separate the two now that the adhesive is set.

It could also be held with plastic rivets which are also easy.

Cperez 01-09-2011 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garbism (Post 330788)

Hope it's an easy fix, Garb. I had this type of incident in my head all evening as my wife and daughter and I went out to dinner and parked in a large and very busy structure (first time for the Jeep). Then my tantric breathing techniques were put to the test when I let me daughter drive us home. Everything turned out ok but some sort of "character mark" is inevitable as time goes by.

It would be cool if Lockpick had an option for turning on the rear cam at any impact. Maybe it could grab a few secs of video or a series of still shots to nail inconsiderate b@st@rds who use the bump method.