Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   Spare tire...couple ???'s (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/spare-tire-couple-s-1724.html)

08Hemi 07-27-2009 12:16 PM

Spare tire...couple ???'s

So on my way back from Vegas last weekend I got a gnarly flat; luckily it didn't blow but all of the Nitro was out of the tire in 10 secs. SOOO I need to get a new stock tire, mount and balance and fill with Nitro.

My dealer does not do Nitro (same idiots who didnt enable my auto-tilt mirrors) and they want $200 + mount/balance for the stock tire. Costco does Nitro but does not sell Goodyears; Sears can get me the tire but no Nitro ($160 for the tire)...I am going to call BigBrand tires today, and check a couple other places. Has anyone bought a replacement stock 17" tire? I can get it shipped from Tirerack.com for $150, which seems high but I have never bought a stock tire before (is this a good excuse to buy new wheels??)

My second issue it the TPMS...please don't tell me I need to buy another one of those too??? Will they be able to just transfer out of blown tire and into new one? I did not drive more than 3 secs on a flat tire as I got over immediately when my buddies in the back said they heard and felt something. I will post a pic of the nail tonight...Fawker was a hook nail and punctured two spots so they can't patch it. Any help is grealy appreciated.

Anybody want to buy a set (4) of 17" 08 LTD wheels? They have 5K miles on them, but only 3 tires :)

robpp 07-27-2009 12:22 PM

Re: Spare tire...couple ???'s

the tpms is on the inside of the rim attached to the fill valve. if just replacing tire, tpms should be fine. they all can be moved to new rims if new rims accept them (if they fit)

08Hemi 07-27-2009 12:24 PM

Perfect...that is good new$ Thank you!

Scottina06 07-27-2009 02:36 PM

advertise in the classifieds for a stock tire...surely someone has one laying around. I have one...but its mounted to a wheel...LOL

hemi.jon 07-27-2009 05:11 PM

PS: the whole nitro thing a joke for tires. it doesnt do much of anything. dont worry about getting it filled back up with it.

Marlin 07-27-2009 06:14 PM

Agree, don't bust your chops over nitro filling....... it's a waaaaaaank.

JETLIFE 07-28-2009 10:15 AM

I thought nitro doesn't fluctuate when it's hot or cold. Isn't that reason enough?

Living where I live, my tires are almost always off by 5 psi. +/-

I was thinking about getting mine filled. But I guess not! Lol

08Hemi 07-28-2009 11:47 AM

But like Joel said isn't the physical make-up of Nitro less resistent to change/expansiopn than air is? I have a good friend who's Dad owns a limo/bus comapny (over 200 vehicles) and he said his in-shop Nitro system has paid for itself in a year as he has gotten anywhere from 500-2000 more miles on his tires. This is in Palm Springs where it gets to be 125 degrees!

The place that is taking care of it (BigBrand) has Nitro and the tire for the cheapest I can find it. $160 mounted/balanced/Nitro with tires rotated and service protection. Not bad considering the dealer wanted $200 for the tire alone...chumps

08Hemi 07-29-2009 01:29 PM

Ok got the tire all mounted and balanced last night. $165 out the door including 4 tire rotate...not a bad deal. Thanks for the help everybody and I hope nobody else has to replace a tire with 5K miles on it

dpoteete 08-05-2010 04:34 PM

Thanks to you guys that like to change stock tires and wheels, I'm happy with mine, and I have not had to spend 800 on a new set of tires yet.....I just buy the used tires off of you guys when you change them out, look around on craigslist and you can find stock goodyear rubbers for about 50 bucks a pop with less than a thousand miles on them.....being sold by someone who did the shoe change on thier new jeep....nothing wrong with that!!

yousmellfunnytoo 08-06-2010 09:23 AM

That sucks man... When I ripped my rim and tire from hitting a pothole, I got a free rim from factory reproductions, and then a free tire from discount tire, and then got it mounted and balanced, along with the tire pressure sensor.. also free.. Then they rotated them for me..

No discount tires out by you? Their warrantee pays for itself with just 1 flat. Free liftime rotations, price matching policy.. Its pretty sweet