Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Jeep to revive Grand Wagoneer (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/jeep-to-revive-grand-wagoneer-17312.html)

Mario175 01-10-2011 10:16 PM

Jeep to revive Grand Wagoneer

Jeep Will resurrect the wagoneer nameplate in two years

“It's time we gave the market an upper-scale Grand Wagoneer,” Chrysler CEO Sergio Marchionne said Monday. “You'll see it in January 2013.”

The Grand Wagoneer would be a seven-seat SUV built on the same platform as the Grand Cherokee.

Marchionne said the vehicle would be priced higher than the top-of-the-line Dodge Durango Citadel or the Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Summit, he said.

When asked how the Grand Wagoneer would differ from the seven-seat Jeep Commander, a widely panned vehicle Chrysler stopped making in 2010, Marchionne had some harsh words: “That car was unfit for human consumption. We sold some. But I don't know why people bought them.”

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2011...ROIT/110119986

wsw523 01-10-2011 10:22 PM

Re: Jeep to revive Grand Wagoneer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mario175 (Post 332118)
Marchionne had some harsh words: “That car was unfit for human consumption. We sold some. But I don't know why people bought them.”

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2011...ROIT/110119986

whoa - that's intense. bring on Jeep's version of the Mercedes Benz GL. that should be awesome.

White Chocolate 01-10-2011 10:22 PM

Sweet, big jeep SUV is a win win in my books

Cperez 01-10-2011 10:43 PM

This is pretty cool. I was always a fan of that platform. About 18 months ago I almost bought an '89 white Wagoneer that was in pretty nice shape for $5K. In hindsight I was crazy to pass it up. I see wagonmaster.com selling them for $30K and up (granted, he gets the creampuffs and then buffs them up nicely).

Am I wrong or is there very little discussion of the Wagoneer here on JG?

JoeSchmoe007 01-10-2011 10:51 PM

More diluting of the brand. Yeah, just awesome. We need 20 models in Jeep family, anything else just won't do. Then the next thing is to bring back badge engineering - relabel Jeep as Plymouth and sell it for $1,000 less

Mario175 01-10-2011 10:57 PM

have you seen the model? there is no badge engineering it is a 7 passenger suv
jeep is a global brand it needs a 7 passenger suv.

JoeSchmoe007 01-10-2011 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mario175 (Post 332161)
have you seen the model? there is no badge engineering it is a 7 passenger suv
jeep is a global brand it needs a 7 passenger suv.

Chrysler already has 7 passenger SUV, called Durango.

White Chocolate 01-10-2011 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeSchmoe007 (Post 332167)
Chrysler already has 7 passenger SUV, called Durango.

Yeah, and I don't want a dodge

I want a Jeep, enough said, Some of us would want it

Cperez 01-10-2011 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeSchmoe007 (Post 332154)
More diluting of the brand. Yeah, just awesome. We need 20 models in Jeep family, anything else just won't do. Then the next thing is to bring back badge engineering - relabel Jeep as Plymouth and sell it for $1,000 less

Joe, I see your somewhat hyperbolic point (20 models?) but one man's unnecessary brand dilution is another man's market-warranted line extension. Also, this is a legacy model that presumably still carries a lot of cachet among a certain older (ie, affluent) audience demographic-- or the children of the folks who bought the original Wagoneer and would like to recreate the old man's driving experience for themselves and their kids. In other words, I can see a whole lot of reasonable arguments in support of this particular decision (though not necessarily in support of a decision to let's say create some Franken-Jeep just for the sake of having another nameplate).

If the WK2 is really selling well now and that extends into the next 18 months, it will make a lot of sense. Until then, it seems like a gamble, but a calculated one. I gotta say I like the gumption and moxie of this Marchionne guy. He seems like a man of action.

Marlin 01-10-2011 11:25 PM

So its basically a new Commander then............

Hopefully it looks nothing like the Commander! lol

Mario175 01-10-2011 11:29 PM

this will be the first test to see if jeep can sell a 50 grand 7 passenger suv

Mario175 01-10-2011 11:33 PM

i tried getting in a 7 passenger commander and it was very tight, i finally got a chance to sit in a durango and it has more room.