Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/)
-   -   20" vs 18" wheels for snow traction (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/20-vs-18-wheels-for-snow-traction-17326.html)

GAROSS 01-11-2011 11:12 AM

20" vs 18" wheels for snow traction
 
Hi,
Any perspective on whether 20" are going to be just as good as the 18" with GC stock tires?

Technosavant 01-11-2011 11:33 AM

Re: 20" vs 18" wheels for snow traction
 
The differences between the tires themselves (it isn't the same tire make or model) will be more significant than the rim size.

In theory, a slightly narrower tire will be superior in snow- it doesn't have to cut as wide a channel through the snow. However, reports are that the Michelins on the 18" rims aren't as good in snow as the Goodyear Fortera HL that is the OEM fitment on the 20" rims.

However, if I were to buy a set of winter rims and tires, I'd go 18" if for no other reason than reduced expense.

mjw930 01-11-2011 11:36 AM

Re: 20" vs 18" wheels for snow traction
 
Those who have more winter than summer (our brothers in the great white north) also subscribe to the theory that the taller tire allows more "give" between the tread and the rim thus improving the "bite" they can maintain in the snow. I say this because I just sold my Touareg to someone from Ottawa and he was explaining it to me when he took delivery and we were discussing his options for winter tires.

Of course a great 20" snow tire will always outperform a mediocre 18" snow tire. In the above comparison it was assuming the same tire in different sizes.

Nbtstatic 01-11-2011 11:43 AM

Re: 20" vs 18" wheels for snow traction
 
If we're talking about oem tires, from all of the reports here, the 20" (Forteras) definitely seem to be getting a better bite in snow.

MSCA 01-11-2011 12:02 PM

Re: 20" vs 18" wheels for snow traction
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nbtstatic (Post 332381)
If we're talking about oem tires, from all of the reports here, the 20" (Forteras) definitely seem to be getting a better bite in snow.


But which tires are you comparing them to? You have two different tires that come with the 18" wheels and at least one tire that comes with the 17" wheels.

Nbtstatic 01-11-2011 12:53 PM

Re: 20" vs 18" wheels for snow traction
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MSCA (Post 332399)
But which tires are you comparing them to? You have two different tires that come with the 18" wheels and at least one tire that comes with the 17" wheels.

I'm not comparing anything, I'm just echoing the reports of folks who've posted here with the 18's saying snow traction is shitty, and the reports of folks who've posted here saying the 20's are impressive in snow. Of course this is not a black and white situation, just a general theme.

NB

rybocf 01-11-2011 01:17 PM

Re: 20" vs 18" wheels for snow traction
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nbtstatic (Post 332421)
I'm not comparing anything, I'm just echoing the reports of folks who've posted here with the 18's saying snow traction is shitty, and the reports of folks who've posted here saying the 20's are impressive in snow. Of course this is not a black and white situation, just a general theme.

NB

18" Off-Road tires or "standard"? I have the stock tires on the Limited, forget which brand, etc. right now. Haven't had good opportunity for snow performance yet, but initial impressions were not that great.

-Ryan

Scorelow 01-11-2011 01:30 PM

Re: 20" vs 18" wheels for snow traction
 
Bottom line if you can afford a good Snow tire it will perform better than all season tires! So Good Snow tires on 20" rims (taller and slightly narrower) should out perform 18" tires.
Many of the guys on here including myself are lucky enough to be able to buy another set of rims and snow tires. Many have gone for the 18" rims for reduced costs and better selection.
Then use them for 3-4 months depending on where you live and change them out in the Spring.
I really like the Bridgestone Blizzaks many of us are using. Great traction on snow and really good on Ice (as good as you can control on ice)

Just my opinion!

Bob

Jimmy 01-11-2011 01:36 PM

Re: 20" vs 18" wheels for snow traction
 
In this case size doesn't matter, it's the quality of the tire that does.

MSCA 01-11-2011 01:39 PM

Re: 20" vs 18" wheels for snow traction
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nbtstatic (Post 332421)
I'm not comparing anything, I'm just echoing the reports of folks who've posted here with the 18's saying snow traction is shitty, and the reports of folks who've posted here saying the 20's are impressive in snow. Of course this is not a black and white situation, just a general theme.

NB

Right, but like I said, the 18's come with more than one tire. And then there are the tires on the 17's as well...

MSCA 01-11-2011 01:40 PM

Re: 20" vs 18" wheels for snow traction
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by rybocf (Post 332438)
18" Off-Road tires or "standard"? I have the stock tires on the Limited, forget which brand, etc. right now. Haven't had good opportunity for snow performance yet, but initial impressions were not that great.

-Ryan

I know the offroad package includes 18" Michelins. If you don't have the offroad package, you probably don't have Michelins, right?

Scorelow 01-11-2011 01:46 PM

Re: 20" vs 18" wheels for snow traction
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmy@BlackOps (Post 332460)
In this case size doesn't matter, it's the quality of the tire that does.


I am glad you said that and not me!

Quality vs Quantity?:confused:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:55 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community