Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/)
-   -   430N IPhone 3G streaming resolution (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/430n-iphone-3g-streaming-resolution-17374.html)

JeepLaw 01-12-2011 03:24 PM

430N IPhone 3G streaming resolution

I saw several references to problems streaming music from the iPhone - with the complaint that it seems to play at a faster than normal (like teh Chipmunks) rate. I had the same experience trying to play Pandora from my iPhone. I saw on an Apple forum that if you lock out the screen, after you have Pandora playing, that the problem goes away. I tried this, and it works. Bizarre. So what I do is call up Pandora, get the song playing, black out the screen, then go to my "AUX" button, and then pick my device - and the music streams just fine. (I make it sound cumbersome, but it is not.) The only problem is if I want to find out what artist or song is playing, I have to reactivate the screen, and the music immediately goes into chipmunk mode. Black out the screen again, and normal play is restored. Steering wheel controls, screen soft keys, voice commands all seem to work in controlling the music play during streaming.
Love being able to play Pandora in the Jeep.

Radside 01-12-2011 03:39 PM

Re: 430N IPhone 3G streaming resolution

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepLaw (Post 333120)
I saw several references to problems streaming music from the iPhone - with the complaint that it seems to play at a faster than normal (like teh Chipmunks) rate. I had the same experience trying to play Pandora from my iPhone. I saw on an Apple forum that if you lock out the screen, after you have Pandora playing, that the problem goes away. I tried this, and it works. Bizarre. So what I do is call up Pandora, get the song playing, black out the screen, then go to my "AUX" button, and then pick my device - and the music streams just fine. (I make it sound cumbersome, but it is not.) The only problem is if I want to find out what artist or song is playing, I have to reactivate the screen, and the music immediately goes into chipmunk mode. Black out the screen again, and normal play is restored. Steering wheel controls, screen soft keys, voice commands all seem to work in controlling the music play during streaming.

I agree that this process usually works and this is what I was doing. Lately though, I've been having the same problems, even with the screen off. I also, make sure that I don't have any apps running in the background but still have issues with BT streaming.

Cperez 01-12-2011 05:43 PM

Quote:

JLaw--Do you have the topshelf data plan on your iPhone, do you use a pocket hotspot device like a MiFi, or are you just not concerned about burning your bandwidth on Pandora?

I enjoy Pandora also and used to use it all the time in my Rover (although connected by wire and not BT), but that was back in the days of unlimited data plans on the iPhone. Now it's an issue since the meter's always running!

My original expectation was that I'd be listening to Sirius most of the time, but in fact I'm spending most of my time playing music I've loaded on the HDD. The couple of seconds you shave by not having to read from a CD or swap disks adds a disproportionate amount of enjoyment to that format for me.

Speaking of the 430n command stringing tip, I used it today to switch from AM radio to Sirius and find my station: "Radio menu, Satellite radio, Channel 12" and it went right to The Pulse on Sirius.

talongs 01-12-2011 05:54 PM

I can confirm that the screen off trick works with any Bluetooth streaming. Screen on = chipmunks. Screen off anything I have plays fine.

Quote:

Mashie 01-12-2011 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by talongs (Post 333212)
I can confirm that the screen off trick works with any Bluetooth streaming. Screen on = chipmunks. Screen off anything I have plays fine.

Thanks, I am going to see ifthis trick also works on my non-iphone :)

PMD G8 01-12-2011 07:28 PM

I have slacker rather than pandora. Pay a low monthly subscription of around $3 and I can cache up to 25 stations on my iPhone and don't have to worry about being in an area with service, let alone paying extra for data. I actually ditched all of my other sat radio subscriptions(i had 4) a year ago b/c of this.

JeepLaw 01-12-2011 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cperez (Post 333206)
JLaw--Do you have the topshelf data plan on your iPhone, do you use a pocket hotspot device like a MiFi, or are you just not concerned about burning your bandwidth on Pandora?

I enjoy Pandora also and used to use it all the time in my Rover (although connected by wire and not BT), but that was back in the days of unlimited data plans on the iPhone. Now it's an issue since the meter's always running!

My original expectation was that I'd be listening to Sirius most of the time, but in fact I'm spending most of my time playing music I've loaded on the HDD. The couple of seconds you shave by not having to read from a CD or swap disks adds a disproportionate amount of enjoyment to that format for me.

Speaking of the 430n command stringing tip, I used it today to switch from AM radio to Sirius and find my station: "Radio menu, Satellite radio, Channel 12" and it went right to The Pulse on Sirius.

Yes I have big data plan, so that isn't an issue,- good point though-and I haven't yet put anything on the hard drive- doing that soon. I haven't used Sirius much just because I have been spending so much time using the aux options. I expect that will taper off overtime and I will take advantage of the Sirius options too.

yankees9 01-13-2011 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by talongs (Post 333212)

Dosen't work with my droid incredible. There are a few people with android phones with the same problem. We are waiting for this "software update" to come.

Mashie 01-13-2011 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yankees9 (Post 333617)
Dosen't work with my droid incredible. There are a few people with android phones with the same problem. We are waiting for this "software update" to come.

same doesnt work on my Windows Phone. With the screen off I get the same choppy BT streaming. Lets go software update!!

Mashie 01-14-2011 01:46 PM

OOT: If you really want to let your new 430N streatch its legs, grab the Tron Legacy sountrack by Daft Punk, rip it directly to the HDD, queue up track 4 "Recognizer", set the volume between 20-25, sit back and enjoy! Man this system sounds pretty damn good!

pblux 01-14-2011 08:34 PM

Re iphone bluetooth streaming - Agree you don't get the chipmunks if you put the iPhone in standby however I've notice that the audio quality is poor to fair. Especially if you turn up the music.

mjw930 01-14-2011 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pblux (Post 334653)
Re iphone bluetooth streaming - Agree you don't get the chipmunks if you put the iPhone in standby however I've notice that the audio quality is poor to fair. Especially if you turn up the music.

Of course it is, the Bluetooth streaming is one step above FM modulators.