Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   grrrr steering wheel volume control stuck. (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/grrrr-steering-wheel-volume-control-stuck-17440.html)

05quadratrac 01-14-2011 05:29 AM

grrrr steering wheel volume control stuck.

I went to change a volume the other day and the steering wheel control thing got stuck so now the only thing I can do is use the knobs on the radio to control volume and stations because none of the other buttons will work due to the button being jammed in position. I assume it think's im changing the volume having the button pushed in so while that button is being used none of the other ones will work. I think I read before that you have to remove the air bag and a bunch of other crap to fix it? If so im going to have to wait for some warmer weather.

Scottina06 01-14-2011 09:09 AM

Yep....you'll need to remove the airbag....but it fairly simple. The bag is just held on by two screws. You must make sure all power is out of the airbag system though....that's the most time consuming.

Sent from my MB300 using Tapatalk

White Chocolate 01-14-2011 12:49 PM

Re: grrrr steering wheel volume control stuck.

This happened to me. I hit the button SUPER hard a couple times lol, then it popped back out.

DGoral31 01-14-2011 01:05 PM

ive changed out my steering wheel several times... its easy... but yeah do it when its a little warmer

05quadratrac 01-15-2011 12:44 AM

Thanks for the replies, How do I power down the airbag? unhook the battery? I had a problem with the control before but it fixed itself, hopefully when it warms up it will unstick. :D

DGoral31 01-15-2011 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 05quadratrac (Post 334801)
Thanks for the replies, How do I power down the airbag? unhook the battery? I had a problem with the control before but it fixed itself, hopefully when it warms up it will unstick. :D

Any time you do work on your car you should be sure to unhook the battery, so yes... before starting you should un hook the battery. in order to remove the air bag, first you remove the two 10mm bolts connecting the back plastic to the steering wheel and then the air bag comes lose. The air bag has two cables connecting it to the steering column, once the airbag is lose the cables allow about 3-4 inches of play. Un plug those cables from the back of the air bag, and you're done. You probably wont have to remove your steering wheel because the volume switches are on the back plastic plate which is held to the wheel by 4 phillips head screws, which you should be able to see once you remove the air bag. You need to remove that back plastic piece in order to fix them gosh darn volume controllers.