Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Quick Question (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/quick-question-17441.html)

blackjeep08 01-14-2011 08:25 AM

Quick Question

My friend is looking at buying a 2007 GC Limited. It does not have the NAV screen, but has a camera on the rear tailgate. The salesman and sales manager is trying to convince him that when Jeep doesnt have the NAV screen they have the back up camera show up on the rear view mirror. Now I have heard of other cars that do this but never heard of that on the GC. Obvisouly he put it into reverse to look and see if it worked and did not show up on the mirror and they said they need the shop to look at it then lol..For some reason I think something happened to the NAV and was too expensive to replace and they stuck a regualr radio back in there. So has anyone ever heard of the backup camera showing up on the rear view mirror of the GC? Thanks!

moparBG 01-14-2011 09:01 AM

Re: Quick Question

I have never heard of it and I have done exhasutive research on WK jeeps website regarding the rearview mirror options (in my case inquiring about the hands free Uconnect mirror) and have never come across this. I think they are BSing him to push the sale. Get them to come down on price then buy a replace head unit. If you buy the version without Nav, you can usually get a pretty good deal becuase many people look to swap them out for the with Nav version.

Scottina06 01-14-2011 09:04 AM

Telll to have them pull the build sheet and that will tell all.....

Sent from my MB300 using Tapatalk

blackjeep08 01-14-2011 09:14 AM

Yea, I told him to do that. Hes waiting to see if they can really prove to him that there is a camera in the mirror after it goes through the shop before he asks. I have never heard of the camera on the rear view mirror on a GC though.

blackjeep08 01-14-2011 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moparBG (Post 334307)
I have never heard of it and I have done exhasutive research on WK jeeps website regarding the rearview mirror options (in my case inquiring about the hands free Uconnect mirror) and have never come across this. I think they are BSing him to push the sale. Get them to come down on price then buy a replace head unit. If you buy the version without Nav, you can usually get a pretty good deal becuase many people look to swap them out for the with Nav version.

Thanks! I have never heard of that either and I think they where hoping nobody would notice the camera on the back tailgate and ask about it lol..I really have a feeling something happened to that NAV screen and they just stuck in the regular radio.

moparBG 01-14-2011 12:18 PM

Yeah, what probably happened was the person was about to trade in their WK so they pulled the NAV, stuck in a low end stock head unit and sold it on Ebay for $800 bucks. Thats pretty shady, but the dealer on trade in probably did not ding them much since you get raped either way on trade in. In otherwords, they probably would give the same trade-in credit with or without the Nav so the prevoius owner netted $800 bucks (or whatever the going rate is for the Nav)

SvenskaJeepGuy 01-14-2011 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moparBG (Post 334402)
Yeah, what probably happened was the person was about to trade in their WK so they pulled the NAV, stuck in a low end stock head unit and sold it on Ebay for $800 bucks. Thats pretty shady, but the dealer on trade in probably did not ding them much since you get raped either way on trade in. In otherwords, they probably would give the same trade-in credit with or without the Nav so the prevoius owner netted $800 bucks (or whatever the going rate is for the Nav)

that is exactly what happened, the mirror story is BS

White Chocolate 01-14-2011 12:47 PM

Yep, dealerships will try to screw you over, however, if the vehicle is PRICED accordingly, well then he might have to suck it up.

If the Jeep isn't originally from their dealership, and it is used which I assume it is, I don't believe they need to replace it at all.

However, giving bullshit answers is unacceptable.

chance 01-14-2011 05:52 PM

Tell him to show you the camera actually working? Ask to see it in use and that will tell you and if he says no to you seeing it then you can bet he is lying.