Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

*** HELP!!! Need a measurement please. HELP!!! ***

3K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  RageOfFury 
#1 ·
My condo parking garage is rather low and with pipes running overhead in some of the parking spaces, including my parking space where the pipe runs directly in the middle from front to back, I need to decide whether or not to make an offer to buy another parking space (which usually don't go up for sale very often but a condo for sale has two) that doesn't have an overhead pipe.

Here's the deal, in the parking spaces without an overhead pipe, my 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee liftgate can open up 100% without hitting the ceiling. However, my current parking space has an overhead pipe which reduces the clearance by about 4 inches. As a result, my liftgate can NOT open 100% and so I have to be careful to open it so that the rear wiper just touches the pipe without scratching. The rear wiper is the highest part of the liftgate at that point. Note, the 2005 does not have a large protruding rear spoiler like the new 2011.

Needless to say I am very fearful that when I get my new 2011, the liftgate will hit the ceiling and get severely damaged...especially since it is a powered liftgate and I'm sure at some point I will accidentally hit the open liftgate button when it is parked in the condo parking garage. I'll buy another parking space if that parking space has the clearance for the 2011 lifegate when 100% open without hitting the ceiling.

*** Sooooo, if someone could do me a HUGE favor and accurately measure the height from the ground to the highest point of the liftgate when it is 100% open, I would GREATLY appreciate it since my Jeep dealer is almost an hour away and I need to move on making an offer on the possible additional parking space soon. ***

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I just gave it a try, this is a tough spot to measure, but I tried it two different ways and came up with 83" at the highest spot on the liftgate, both ways.

The highest spot ends up being right where the Jeep logo is on the chrome strip on the liftgate.

This is a Overland in NRH with 20's. The best way I found to make the measurement was to measure from the highest point UP to my garage ceiling. Then measure the entire height from floor to ceiling and subract.

PS - I had my wife out there on a wooden ladder helping me, got a strange look on that one. ;)

#3 ·
WOW.....that's going above and beyond (and up on a ladder at that!!!). Thank you sooo much!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

#5 ·
No problemo. I was bored anyway. Wife has family in town...

When I want to open mine, I have to back it into the garage. I don't think I can clear the garage door frame when pulled in forward, there's plenty of room with it backed in though.

I've never actually tried it though, hmm, maybe I should put this number to use on that.

#7 ·
Yep, the power liftgate is powerful and will do damage before stopping...sooo try it manually first to see if clears your garage door frame.

#6 ·
It would be nice if they had added a disable button like GM does. I really worry about activating the power lift gate with my garage door down.....I think I have activated every remote feature there is in just the couple of short months. The buttons are way to touchy in your pockets.

#8 ·
I wrapped the metal interior handle on my garage door with foam pipe insulation (comes in a tube that is slit and can be trimmed to length) to protect my lift gate when I open it. The parking garage situation calls for some sort of foam or even carpet remnant attached to the pipes or concrete overhead. Use Liquid Nails adhesive and remember that it's easier to seek forgiveness than permission.:D

#9 ·
Dan JGC,

I was also worried about damaging something if the liftgate activated in the garage. So I tested the liftgate by activating it, then putting my hand on it when it was about halfway open. With very little pressure from my hand, the liftgate reversed and shut itself. That solved my worries about activation while in the garage with the garage door shut.

Knowing I could stop the liftgate opening by grabbing it if necessary, I tried opening it in my standard California tract home garage with the garage door open, and there's a lot of clearance between the liftgate and the garage door. I agree with the figures that Nbstatic calculated, based on measuring my reach up to the highest point.

Dennis

#11 ·
DennisU - I tested one at a dealer and it took quite a bit of pressure to stop the liftgate. I figured it would do a lot of damage before stopping. My parking garage has a low ceiling so it will be an issue for me. Some of the parking spaces have a bit higher clearance because there are no pipes so once I get my new Jeep I'm gonna check about changing parking spaces. Another person in my building had opened the liftgate on an SUV and not only damaged the liftgate (was a new SUV too) but bent and set off the fire sprinkler....ouch! I would prefer to just disable it but I don't think there is a configuration option for that so if it is an issues I may have to do a hardwire disconnect. But won't know for sure until I finally get it!!!!!!!

#15 ·
Yes, it can get into the garage BUT the liftgate may open up higher than that so be careful with the powered liftgate!

I will know more in about 3 weeks when I finally get mine...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.