Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Transport containers (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/transport-containers-17503.html)

carlosmp 01-15-2011 07:15 PM

Transport containers

I remember reading about how the GCs are transported in individual containers from factory to dealer. And today my dealer told me they only do this for the GCs being a high end model.
Anyone know about this? Any pictures?
I love that they pamper them even in transport.

J13ntv 01-15-2011 07:34 PM

Re: Transport containers

I was under the impression on the train they are loaded onto open containers, this isn't MB or BMW lol. One reason they arrive at the dealer so dirty in fall/winter months.

2011JGC 01-16-2011 01:02 AM

My Overland was shipped by truck. It was not in an individual container or wrapped in anything. It was transported by truck from Detroit to Toledo and then Greater Cleveland.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Bmwister 01-16-2011 01:07 AM

They are in enclosed rail cars with open vent holes so you can see inside and are partially exposed to the elements. This is nothing to worry about because the vehicle will see far more hazards (stones, sand, debris, etc) when you start driving it on the road than it will ever see during rail transport.

SvenskaJeepGuy 01-16-2011 01:11 AM

in detroit last month i saw dozens of trucks with grand cherokees on them, not enclosed containers lol

carlosmp 01-16-2011 02:31 AM

I'm not worried about any damage, and it sounds much more logical the way Mbwister explained it in enclosed containers than individual boxes.
It did sound like a bit much and I was curious.

Dan JGC 01-16-2011 04:54 AM

I saw some being delivered at a dealer....open transport with other vehicles. Nothing special. No pampering. They're tough Jeeps, not wimpy Lexus's.

Cperez 01-16-2011 07:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The WK2 is *indeed* an excellent transport container!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

(you can't see the ones underneath but I've got a total of 15 cases in there with room for plenty more. It's fun having a brother who works for MillerCoors!)

Nbtstatic 01-16-2011 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cperez (Post 335816)

(you can't see the ones underneath but I've got a total of 15 cases in there with room for plenty more. It's fun having a brother who works for MillerCoors!)

Dayum. :D

Mashie 01-16-2011 10:21 PM

I dont know what you guys are talking about. My WK2 was delivered in an airtight sealed container that was lined with goose down. Inside were 3 beautiful women that would fan the WK2 to ensure that it stayed at exactly 72 degrees and it was lit with 24k gold that radiated light. The outside of the container had severl layers including one layer of carbon fiber with a final layer of Kevlar to ensure that nothing would penetrate it.

didn't your WK2 ship in this same container? :D

WK2OverlandII 01-16-2011 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mashie (Post 335920)
I dont know what you guys are talking about. My WK2 was delivered in an airtight sealed container that was lined with goose down. Inside were 3 beautiful women that would fan the WK2 to ensure that it stayed at exactly 72 degrees and it was lit with 24k gold that radiated light. The outside of the container had severl layers including one layer of carbon fiber with a final layer of Kevlar to ensure that nothing would penetrate it.

didn't your WK2 ship in this same container? :D

Mashie......thats exactly how mine was transported...LOL:thumbsup:

Bmwister 01-16-2011 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cperez (Post 335816)

Nice.