Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   How to change FOB battery? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/how-to-change-fob-battery-17507.html)

rybocf 01-15-2011 07:54 PM

How to change FOB battery?

I know, stupid question, but I don't want to break it trying to get it open. I didnt see anything in the owners guide.

Thanks!
Ryan

TTUMBIO2010 01-15-2011 08:02 PM

Re: How to change FOB battery?

Wrong link. Looking for right one.

But take out the internal cut key and the casing pops in half with using a small flathead screwdriver.

Radside 01-15-2011 10:29 PM

Page 25-27 of the OM.

http://184.72.239.143/mu/46a1cf77-65f5-df31.jpg

rybocf 01-16-2011 09:07 AM

Thank You! Is this info in the manual you have to request from Jeep?

Ryan

mjw930 01-16-2011 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rybocf (Post 335443)
Thank You! Is this info in the manual you have to request from Jeep?

Ryan

It's in the owners manual that's in your glovebox. You shouldn't have to request an owners manual from anyone, it should be packaged with the truck. I believe you get both an owners guide and an owners manual. If you didn't get an owners manual they owe you one.

you can download a copy here: http://www.jeep.com/en/owners/manuals/index.html

JTS97Z28 01-16-2011 10:28 AM

Dang, you need a new battery already? I have never replaced a battery in a keyfob ever. Or were you just wondering for future reference like in 5 years? :-)

mjw930 01-16-2011 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTS97Z28 (Post 335490)
Dang, you need a new battery already? I have never replaced a battery in a keyfob ever. Or were you just wondering for future reference like in 5 years? :-)

The only time I've had to replace the battery has been when I inadvertently had the buttons pressed for long periods of time. That can happen if you put the FOB in the same pocket as change, a lighter or something that presses a button when you move. The other time it happened to me was when I put the FOB in my computer bag during a road trip and it was compressed when I zipped up the bag.

In normal use the batteries should last for years.

rybocf 01-16-2011 10:47 AM

My FOB died while out of town a few days ago. When I got back the second one seems to work fine. My guess is a bad battery in the first FOB, so step one is to get it replaced.

Thanks everyone!
Ryan

BEERnALE 01-16-2011 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjw930 (Post 335449)
It's in the owners manual that's in your glovebox. You shouldn't have to request an owners manual from anyone, it should be packaged with the truck. I believe you get both an owners guide and an owners manual. If you didn't get an owners manual they owe you one.

you can download a copy here: http://www.jeep.com/en/owners/manuals/index.html

You do have to request the owners manual. You can get printed copies by calling 1-877-426-5337.

Be sure to request copies of the Owners Manual, Warranty Manual, Media Center (know your model), and Uconnect Manual. Have your VIN ready when calling.

I received my printed manuals within a week.

mjw930 01-16-2011 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BEERnALE (Post 335511)
You do have to request the owners manual. You can get printed copies by calling 1-877-426-5337.

Be sure to request copies of the Owners Manual, Warranty Manual, Media Center (know your model), and Uconnect Manual. Have your VIN ready when calling.

I received my printed manuals within a week.

WOW, in 30 years of buying new cars I have NEVER had to REQUEST any of those documents, they come neatly packaged in the glove compartment.

I'm not sure whether this is a step in the right direction or simply a way to reduce costs since a large percentage of owners will never make the request?

That prompted me to read the manual you do get, the Users Guide. I see they specifically state the other manuals are not provided, interesting. However, if you read page 1 of the Users Guide it explains how you can access the Owners Manual info without having to contact Jeep.

Quote:

The DVD includes a computer application containing detailed owner's information
which can be viewed on a personal computer or MAC computer. The multimedia
DVD also includes videos which can be played on any standard DVD player
(including the Media Center Touch-Screen Radios). Additional DVD operational
information is located on the back of the DVD sleeve.
For complete owner information, refer to your owner's manual on the DVD in the
owner’s kit provided at the time of new vehicle purchase. For your convenience, the
information contained on the DVD may also be printed and saved for future
reference.
Chrysler Group LLC is committed to protecting our environment and natural
resources. By converting from paper to electronic delivery for the majority of the
user information for your vehicle, together we greatly reduce the demand for
tree-based products and lessen the stress on our environment.

BEERnALE 01-16-2011 11:55 AM

Yeah, there are a couple threads on JG where people post the pros and cons regarding the printed manuals.

For me, I still like having the paper version. But for the WK2 there are many options, from PDF on the website, iPhone App, DVD, to ordering the printed version.

Yeah, probably a cost-cutting exercise... but at least we have JG to help steer us in the right direction! :)

Nbtstatic 01-16-2011 12:04 PM

Probably a "tree" saving measure.

I prefer having the PDF manual to the paper anyway, easier to search for keywords, etc.