Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   2006 - Remote Start issues (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/2006-remote-start-issues-17517.html)

TJXJWJ 01-16-2011 12:04 AM

2006 - Remote Start issues

Hey everyone! My wife's WK is acting up and I'm hoping for some help. Last year I installed a Mopar remote start system on her 06 Laredo. It worked perfect until last week. The truck starts, but it's causing the check engine light to come on and throwing some goofy BS code (U1411). When you start it with the key and DON'T use the remote start, there is no code. Either way, it starts and runs just fine.

Any ideas where to begin? Fobs all have new batteries...and both fobs do the same thing.

TJXJWJ 01-18-2011 07:53 AM

Re: 2006 - Remote Start issues

Nothin? I tested the battery this morning after sitting all night (mid 30's outside). Without starting the engine at all, the OEM stock battery in her 2006 WK came back with 12.6. I wouldn't consider that low at all, although the battery is 5 years old now.

Any ideas what it could be? Next step might be to re-program the remote start module like when I originally installed it.

ohioscott 01-18-2011 11:48 AM

I have had issues with the aftermarket remote start we installed on my wifes 06WK. If you start with the remote start you will get a few of the dash lights come on after you are in drive. If you get in the car and stop it with the key and restart fresh with the key not problems. It is weird but I don't wish to chase the problem with the interface.. Starting it again with the factory key works just fine.

As a side note - I just replaced the batteries in both keys (CR2032 I think was the number) from Wallgreens as a preventive measure . original batteries in them.

I also just last month replaced the battery with a Sears DieHard after their test came back with the cold cranking amps about 30% down from spec.... I don't remember the actual numbers. this was also the original battery to the car.

good luck

TJXJWJ 01-18-2011 12:58 PM

Thanks Ohioscott...sounds like hers and yours are about the same age and your stock battery was on its way out. I have a bench charger so I'm going to try topping it off and starting it remotely to see if a totally charged battery makes a difference. If so, I may have to get a new battery like you did. I know I read somewhere that a low battery does not get along well with the OEM remote start system. After that I'll give re-programming the stock remote start module a shot. So friggin annoying. If none of that works, maybe I'll try to convince her to move somewhere warmer where we don't need remote starts...hehehehe.

05wkguy 01-18-2011 09:15 PM

Sounds like the interface portion of the starter is messing up. (the part that tells the computer of the truck it's ok to start without the key). Is it not under warranty? should be a straight R&R procedure.

TJXJWJ 01-18-2011 09:37 PM

No such luck man...her 06 only came with a 3-36 and I purchased and installed the Mopar remote start over a year ago. No warranty on anything anymore, and even if there was, I'm sure it voided the second I installed it myself.

TJXJWJ 01-19-2011 08:00 AM

Well, I'm just about ready to eliminate the battery. I charged it overnight (even though it didn't need it) and remote started it this morning. Light still came on. Tonight I'm going to try re-installing the remote start brain/reprogramming/disconnecting the battery. I'll report back.

TJXJWJ 01-21-2011 08:02 AM

OK, just posting up in case someone else searches this in the future...
I disconnected the battery and let it sit for a few hours. Reconnected it and the issue continued. After that, I pulled the remote start module, unplugging all the connectors from it. Plugged everything back in and re-programmed the remotes. After that, no more engine light. At least for now...

darwood 07-18-2011 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJXJWJ (Post 335371)
Hey everyone! My wife's WK is acting up and I'm hoping for some help. Last year I installed a Mopar remote start system on her 06 Laredo. It worked perfect until last week. The truck starts, but it's causing the check engine light to come on and throwing some goofy BS code (U1411). When you start it with the key and DON'T use the remote start, there is no code. Either way, it starts and runs just fine.

Any ideas where to begin? Fobs all have new batteries...and both fobs do the same thing.

I had the same problem in my 05 WK, Dealer installed when i purchased the vehicle. I lost count of how many times it was at the dealers to be repaired, more than 6. Same wacky codes. Finally they replaced the wiring harness, the only thing that had not been replaced and it has been fine ever since. I beleive they screwed something up around the ignition key area because it started to happen right after they replaced that.