Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Superchargers/Turbos (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f141/)
-   -   Muffler for getting extra growl? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f141/muffler-for-getting-extra-growl-17561.html)

zinomori 01-17-2011 07:11 AM

Muffler for getting extra growl?

I own a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 and love the way it performs. I want to get a little extra growl out of the jeep without spending much money on a catback system. I am looking for a MagnaFlow muffler that will fit to the OEM exhaust system, but can't the size of inlets and outlets. Has anyone replaced just the muffler on their jeep with a MagnaFlow or a Flowmaster? If so, then how does it sound like?

Thanks..

Scottina06 01-17-2011 01:30 PM

Re: Muffler for getting extra growl?

the inlets and outlets are 2.75". You will just have to find a muffler that is dual inlet/outlet with the inlets/outlets being 2.75-3"

2011Laredo 01-18-2011 11:47 AM

I had a flowmaster exhaust on my 06 GC Limited with the Hemi...at first it wasn't too loud..that is until I had them run a straight pipe directly into the exhaust...man that sounded sweet...it had a deep dark growl to it...only wish I would have recorded it...I cant even imagine what it would sound like on an SRT...

a little advice for you...do it right the first time..even if you have to spend a lil more money...in my old cars I changed exhaust systems so many times trying to get the right tone...do your research and try to hear any and all exhausts in person...

tugboatchad 01-18-2011 07:58 PM

In my opinion, I would get rid of the factory suitcase muffler and have an exhaust shop fab in an X-pipe in it's place. It should cost no more than $150 and that's here in pricey Seattle. For the money you can't beat it. It sounds like a pissed of Griz with his bean bag caught in a trap. Do not remove the resonators though or you will lose your mind with the drone!

SLVRLTNG 01-18-2011 09:49 PM

I put a Magnaflow 12599 on my Jeep last year. It's a direct fit replacement. It's not alot louder than stock like I expected it would be

byoficr 01-19-2011 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tugboatchad (Post 337276)
In my opinion, I would get rid of the factory suitcase muffler and have an exhaust shop fab in an X-pipe in it's place. It should cost no more than $150 and that's here in pricey Seattle. For the money you can't beat it. It sounds like a pissed of Griz with his bean bag caught in a trap. Do not remove the resonators though or you will lose your mind with the drone!

I remove the resonators and mufflers and replaced with slp lm1's and have zero drone. I also don't have headers so that may be a big diffrence too.

pmpn8ez 02-16-2011 11:48 AM

I removed the middle suitcase and replaced them with 2 borla stype mufflers

then straight pipe out to 5" tips

sound is amazing

not really getting much drone at all with cruising....when I do get a little, I just adjust the amount of throttle

All I know is I helped a friend install the $1,400 mopar Corsa.....then afterwards he said "Damn, I wish I would have done my exhaust like yours" :)

tugboatchad 02-16-2011 01:48 PM

I was wondering how it would sound if I replaced my resonators with those Borla's. Probably loud as hell!

pmpn8ez 02-16-2011 02:10 PM

I did that too

was stupid overkill

I tried the borlas in the middle and added magnaflow round cans in place of rear resonators......stupid! lol

was quieter than stock!

I chopped the rear ones off....straight pipe to tips........happy ever since!!!!!!

tugboatchad 02-16-2011 03:09 PM

I have an x-pipe in place of the suitcase. So my resonators are my only mufflers, which why I thought of changing those out to the Borla's.

ludakrs 02-16-2011 04:05 PM

I have the Magnaflow's in place of my middle suitcase and reso delete. The thing sounded awesome until the long tubes were installed a few weeks back. Now I am putting the reso's back in and if that doesn't help the whole thing is being replaced with a Corsa.

pmpn8ez 02-16-2011 04:32 PM

turbo- that would sound similar then! 2 mufflers, x pipe and straight pipe....DO IT

and ludakrs- yeah, 2 mufflers on straight pipe + headers HAS to be deafening LOOOOOUD