Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Rental WK2 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/rental-wk2-17563.html)

Chi-One 01-17-2011 09:34 AM

Rental WK2
 
Dropped off my 2007 Laredo X 4.7 at the dealer for routine service this morning since I'm off for the holiday. Got a 2011 Laredo E V6 for a rental. I figured this would be a good opportunity for an extended test drive as I'm ready to trade for the WK2. The 2011 looks and feels smaller than mine inside and out. Good design lines on the outside. Not sure about the crocodile plastic interior trim.

Smooth, quiet ride. Never got above 40mph, though. My normal commute is 45mi round trip on the tollway where avg speed is 75-80. I think I'll go out for lunch later and take it on the highway to see if I could live with the V6 everyday. The engine sounds very similiar to the V6 in the ML320 that the wife used to have.

I'll post later with more observations. Any questions, send them along.
Everyone have a good day!

JDM12 01-17-2011 09:37 AM

Re: Rental WK2
 
Surprised the size feels smaller! I haven't sat in one yet but the WK has always felt cramped to me.

Navy1 01-17-2011 09:42 AM

Re: Rental WK2
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chi-One (Post 336121)
Dropped off my 2007 Laredo X 4.7 at the dealer for routine service this morning since I'm off for the holiday. Got a 2011 Laredo E V6 for a rental. I figured this would be a good opportunity for an extended test drive as I'm ready to trade for the WK2. The 2011 looks and feels smaller than mine inside and out. Good design lines on the outside. Not sure about the crocodile plastic interior trim.

Smooth, quiet ride. Never got above 40mph, though. My normal commute is 45mi round trip on the tollway where avg speed is 75-80. I think I'll go out for lunch later and take it on the highway to see if I could live with the V6 everyday. The engine sounds very similiar to the V6 in the ML320 that the wife used to have.

I'll post later with more observations. Any questions, send them along.
Everyone have a good day!

I don't think it feels smaller at all. I think it feels just perfect. I'm a big guy and coming from a dodge ram and think its fine. Not sure what you mean by crocodile plastic though...you mean the wood trim?

barho 01-17-2011 09:49 AM

Re: Rental WK2
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JDM12 (Post 336123)
Surprised the size feels smaller! I haven't sat in one yet but the WK has always felt cramped to me.

I rented one for a 500 mile round trip for work the other day. It most certainly feels larger than the my 2008 Laredo. But the main difference I noticed was the ride height felt much higher than the WK.

The V6 is very responsive and far better than the outgoing V6. In fact, I would say it was nearly on par with my 4.7L 305HP V8 in the Laredo. If I were to buy a 2011 GC, the V6 would be perfect.

tkln 01-17-2011 10:20 AM

Re: Rental WK2
 
I also find it a bit larger than my 06 WK was...especially in the back.

Chi-One 01-17-2011 10:40 AM

Re: Rental WK2
 
Guys,

re: my perception of size...

It does not feel cramped. it just looks more compact. Good design, I think. Interior is black, yet looked spacious. No sunroof, black interior, maybe just darker in there.

Exterior lines are just beautiful. I know it's larger than a WK, but it doesn't look it. Very pleasing to the eye.

Chi-One 01-17-2011 10:44 AM

Re: Rental WK2
 
Navy1

Instead of wood trim like LTD and Overland this Laredo has black mottled almost paisley plastic.

Are you really Navy?
I work at Great Lakes.

Frank G 01-17-2011 10:53 AM

Re: Rental WK2
 
Compared to my old 05 WK I feel much more part of the Jeep in the 2011. Like getting into the cockpit of a plane:) Thats probably why you feel its smaller but I certainly dont feel its smaller. Just more refined.

And comparing the new 3.6 v6 it performs better than the 4.7v8. The 4.7 to me always felt slugish and slow to respond. The 3.6 just feels perfectly matched to the WK2. Im very impressed with it and the Oil filter location makes oil changes a breeze :D.

Overall after owning so many jeeps The 2011 is simply perfect IMHO.:thumbsup:

My 01 and 05 Grands were great to me and loved by me but both were LACK LUSTER. The 2011 has brought back a little fun to driving again.

barho 01-17-2011 12:33 PM

Re: Rental WK2
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank G (Post 336190)
And comparing the new 3.6 v6 it performs better than the 4.7v8. The 4.7 to me always felt slugish and slow to respond. The 3.6 just feels perfectly matched to the WK2. Im very impressed with it and the Oil filter location makes oil changes a breeze :D.

Frank - Are you comparing to the previous gen 4.7L or the new one that only ran for 08-09? My 08 Laredo has the 305HP 2nd gen 4.7L and is quite a nice engine. Really a shame it went the way of the dinosaurs so quickly. It has a very nice growl and feels a bit more powerful than the 11 V6, but the V6 is very nice.

Frank G 01-17-2011 12:45 PM

Re: Rental WK2
 
No the previous 4.7v8's that were in the WJs and 05-07 wks.

I was under the impression the later 4.7v8 were just E85 safe. No performance upgrades

barho 01-17-2011 01:34 PM

Re: Rental WK2
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank G (Post 336276)
No the previous 4.7v8's that were in the WJs and 05-07 wks.

I was under the impression the later 4.7v8 were just E85 safe. No performance upgrades

Nope, they were a full upgraded 4.7L. 305HP

From wkjeeps:


2008 models of the Grand Cherokee and Commander will feature a new updated 4.7-liter V-8. The new engine offers better fuel economy, power, and torque than the previous 4.7-liter engine, while increasing refinement, thanks to dual spark plugs per cylinder, increased compression, better cylinder-head port flow, and a new combustion system. The result is 305 horsepower, a 30 percent increase; and 334 lb.-ft. of torque, a 10 percent increase. The engine is still capable of operating on E85 ethanol fuel. Smoother and quieter running came from revisions to the induction system, a lightweight piston/rod assembly, reduced accessory drive noise through lower accessory drive speed, and a new valve-lash adjuster system. The new 4.7-liter V-8 is also equipped with Electronic Throttle Control.

Navy1 01-17-2011 04:38 PM

Re: Rental WK2
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chi-One (Post 336182)
Navy1

Instead of wood trim like LTD and Overland this Laredo has black mottled almost paisley plastic.

Are you really Navy?
I work at Great Lakes.

Ok....gotcha...I have the Overland and all the Limited and Overland's I looked at had the wood trim.

I am in the Navy. I have been for 27 years and finally retiring in August. I was in Great Lakes many many years ago...coldest winter I ever experienced. Are you in the Navy or just work there?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:09 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community