Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   5.7 Hemi First Oil Change (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/5-7-hemi-first-oil-change-17576.html)

Hollywood 01-17-2011 01:59 PM

5.7 Hemi First Oil Change

First question, I believe someone told me these engines are shipped with "synthetic" motor oil. Is this correct?

Secondly, "old school" told you to do your first oil change at 1,000 miles to get rid of the "break in" oil/bits of potential casting etc., etc. Sales person told me not to do an oil change until 8,000 miles! :eek:

Just curious to know peoples opinions.

Mashie 01-17-2011 02:02 PM

Re: 5.7 Hemi First Oil Change

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hollywood (Post 336346)
First question, I believe someone told me these engines are shipped with "synthetic" motor oil. Is this correct?

Secondly, "old school" told you to do your first oil change at 1,000 miles to get rid of the "break in" oil/bits of potential casting etc., etc. Sales person told me not to do an oil change until 8,000 miles! :eek:

I met with the Jeep service technician when I purchased my WK2 (they assign a service agent at the dealer I purchased from) and he told me to do the first oil change anywhere between 7-8k miles. So no clue... lol

mjw930 01-17-2011 03:54 PM

It seems like many are getting the oil service light around 4K miles instead of the indicated 8K. The computer factors in driving style, conditions, etc when it pops that message so I suppose you could just use that message or 8K whichever comes first.

I think the factory fill is a semi-synthetic simply because manufactures love to push the full synthetics along with the vendor when they go that route. Look at all the GM, Porsche, Mercedes. etc. that have the Mobil 1 stickers on them ;)

Just make sure whatever you use is 5W-20 and meets the Chrysler Material Standard
MS-6395.

UNCjeepWK2 01-17-2011 04:01 PM

Why anyone would do anything other than what Chrysler/Jeep and the service manual says is beyond me...

LTrainGC 01-17-2011 04:09 PM

I replaced the factory oil and filter with Mobil 1 after 900 miles in my truck.

Navy1 01-17-2011 04:16 PM

I did my first oil change at 1500 miles and put in Mobil 1 synthetic and filter. I have 8000 miles on mine now and will be taking it in for another. Message never came on in message center....I plan on doing 8000 periodicity between changes as manufacturer recommends but I will use synthetic.

Frank G 01-17-2011 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hollywood (Post 336346)

I ran into a mechanic at 7/11 who was driving a new WK last week. He actually was one of 2 mechanics from the dealership that was sent to Chrysler to learn the WK2. I asked him the infamous does Chrysler use Synthetic Oil. He said Chrysler used conventional oil and has never used synthetic oil in any new vehicle. And most believe there is no such thing as "break in oil"

I know I have a 3.6L engine not the 5.7L and on my first oil change I DID IN FACT see small metal shavings in the oil filter. Its easy to see the 3.6L uses a cartridge filter. I would certainly do an oil filter change after the first 1000 miles. No Harm in doing it.

dwaleke 01-17-2011 04:52 PM

Plan on changing mine around 1k. After that I'm either going by the severe service schedule which calls for 4k changes or go by the oil change light.

8k is the max interval for changing the oil. I would do oil analysis to verify if the oil was good for that long of an oil change interval.

I have read that the oil light likes to come on around 2500 miles and then gradually increases interval after the first change. Not sure what is used to determine oil life/quality. Is there a sensor in the engine or just software programming that monitors engine sensors to determine how aggressive you are with your engine? I think the latter.

litespeedz 01-17-2011 06:36 PM

I've never heard of anyone hurting their engine because of changing their oil too frequently... Too infrequently though...

I changed mine at 600 and 1500 miles. I did not put synthetic in it yet. I will when the light comes on for the next oil change.

It's a lot easier to change the oil in this car then in my old Acura TL.

WK2OverlandII 01-18-2011 05:56 AM

Has everyone reset their Oil life monitor since changing their oil prior to the light coming on? Otherwise the monitor thinks the original oil is still in the engine. I mention it as many forget because the light wasn’t on when they changed it.

I have 1300 miles on mine I’m going to wait for the light or the 7-8K before changing the oil. I am thinking about changing the filter prior to the light….around 2.5K as the filter will catch the shavings. I won’t use synthetic until after 10K

Hollywood 01-18-2011 06:53 AM

Interesting about not switching to synthetic until after 10K. What's the rationale?

UNCjeepWK2 01-18-2011 06:54 AM

I didn't change mine until about 6,500 miles and never got an oil change indicator on the EVIC.