Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems Discussion (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f77/)
-   -   Ever adjust your parking brake? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f77/ever-adjust-your-parking-brake-1760.html)

5.7Unlimited 07-28-2009 08:37 PM

Ever adjust your parking brake?

It's time for me to adjust the little bastard as I find I have to pull waaaay up on the handle for it to engage, and on steep hills the jeep still moves slightly. Any of you guys ever do this? I havent researched yet I just figured someone would have played with it before. TAI
:thumbsup:

Robert Palmer 07-28-2009 08:40 PM

Re: Ever adjust your parking brake?

Never adjusted it because I don't use it. :lol:

5.7Unlimited 07-28-2009 08:41 PM

Aww come on Joe you must have put it on once or twice on all those epic offroad trips you go on

Robert Palmer 07-28-2009 08:42 PM

Maybe once when I parked on that pebble in the movie parking lot.

Megatron 07-28-2009 08:43 PM

Lmao, i havent adjusted it.

But, I do use it everytime, it's become a habit

AcidCold 07-28-2009 08:47 PM

I noticed mine needs adjustment as well! few months ago i thought it was because i needed new rear pads so once i put them on, i still had to pull the lever all the way up! So, i need to know myself so i can getRdone!

scottydog 07-29-2009 08:02 AM

You're not supposed to have to adjust, but I did it to improve the emergency braking. You have to pull the rear rotors and take a screwdriver and turn the little star adjuster on the inner drum type brake shoes. Not too much of course.

saleen032 07-29-2009 08:37 AM

It usually needs to be adjusted because the cables will stretch some..the star adjustment will not work for this.. there should be another adjustment bolt up by the handle somewhere...

mon_21 07-29-2009 08:42 AM

Make sure there is no oil/gunk on the pads if adjusting it doesnt work. I had to clean mine because it was full of dirty oil and it made it slippery, I also replaced the pads while I was at it.

scottydog 07-29-2009 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saleen032 (Post 40262)
It usually needs to be adjusted because the cables will stretch some..the star adjustment will not work for this.. there should be another adjustment bolt up by the handle somewhere...

The service manual doesn't show any other adjustment other than the stars, at least as far as I can tell.

Martyp 07-29-2009 01:11 PM

I got mine adjusted when I first got it.

I use it all the time, unless the ground is totally flat. Just don't like putting all that strain on the transmission... :o

blackpepper 07-29-2009 02:38 PM

Yeah I never not use the ebrake on a hill.. ever hear the clunk trying to get it outta park? Forgetaboutit

---------- Post added at 12:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:37 PM ----------

That being said, if you're adjusting it yourself make sure it doesn't rub the rotor when you're done.